The Doors - The End, what key?

gubu

• Members

There may be better places to ask this, but off the top of my head, looks like it can be thought of as shifting between Dm and Am and perhaps A harmonic minor. The guitar appears to be in a DADGAD tuning (not an open D major, which would have a F# instead of the G). But I just noodled around in a couple sections, not all the way through.

• Members

There may be better places to ask this, but off the top of my head, looks like it can be thought of as shifting between Dm and Am and perhaps A harmonic minor. The guitar appears to be in a DADGAD tuning (not an open D major, which would have a F# instead of the G). But I just noodled around in a couple sections, not all the way through.

Thanks. I'm doing a kind of comedy bluegrass/traverse style picking version of this with a friend of mine. If you're saying that the original is in Dm/Am, then we're playing it in Gm/Dm (returning to G5 rather than the D5 in the original). Would this mean I'd be looking for a Bb harmonica? I think I should be looking for a C harmonica to play it in this new key. The main chords in this key are G5, C + F.

BTW, the tuning on the original might not be DADGAD. It sounds more to me like DADGBD, basically normal concert tuning with the 2 E strings tuned down 2 steps...

• Members

'It sounds more to me like DADGBD, basically normal concert tuning with the 2 E strings tuned down 2 steps...'

I'd go with that. A very popular tuning in 1967 it seems, Buffalo Springfield are all over it, Neil Young carries on using it through Cinnamon Girl, sure there's some on Tonight's The Night years later as well. Excellent tuning. Sure there's another artist that used it a lot but it's lost in the memory banks...

• Members

'It sounds more to me like DADGBD, basically normal concert tuning with the 2 E strings tuned down 2 steps...'

I'd go with that. A very popular tuning in 1967 it seems, Buffalo Springfield are all over it, Neil Young carries on using it through Cinnamon Girl, sure there's some on Tonight's The Night years later as well. Excellent tuning. Sure there's another artist that used it a lot but it's lost in the memory banks...

Yes but what key???

I'm gonna try a C harmonica for our little project (see above) and let ye know how I get on.....

Archived