DECEMBER 2009 SHOWCASE Thread :: Finished work, videos, career news, BSP, gossip...

blue2blue

• Members

wBsHwf1FNBQ

DECEMBER 2009 SHOWCASE Thread :: Finished work, videos, career news, BSP, gossip...

Here's this month's Official Showcase Thread where you can post your completed projects, links to finished works you want your pals here in the SW forum to hear, promo videos, or just generally shameless self-hype that you're far too professional and courteous to post in the main forum.

POST 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM!

:)

previous showcase threads

November 2009

October 2009

September 2009

August 2009

July 2009 [no posts]

June 2009

May 2009

April 2009

March 2009

February 2009

January 2009

December 2008

November 2008

October 2008

• Members

Of course, you could have found
that
out for free.

:D

One of the contests was free, the fee for the other one went to a cause worth supporting :idk:. The next one (the last one of this "contest season") cost me the price of a subscription to American Songwriter magazine, and they threw the magazine in for free.

• Members

I have TWO weinners! (it was a birth defect...) and makes for an interesting time with the right person :-)

Hey, check um out, they are my two new Christmas songs;

1. Drummer Boy #2 on my page

and

2. Please come home for Christmas (better than the Eagles...) #3 on my page.

• Members

I have no idea if it would be of any interest to anyone here, but, on a real flyer of a whim I started a trip hop/downtempo oriented music/community site called www.downtronica.com using the pre-rolled Ning.com community network tools (which may be of more interest to more of us here, since among those tools is a pretty decent Flash based Mp3 player as well as a number of configuration and skinning tools).

Feel free to poke around and check it out -- and even if you're not into downtempo, you might want to click through to Ning.com and explore what they're offering.

(Keep in mind that while you can scale up from the basic free tier at Ning.com [which offers a somewhat generous 10 GB storage and 100 GB b/w per community/network that I figure should support an active musician community between 5 and maybe 35 bands], the cost of upgrading is not all that cheap at $10 for every add'l 10/100 "unit." By contrast, outfits like GoDaddy charge about $7-$8 for 150/1500 GB of monthly storage/bandwidth. Although building a complex social net site on a shared database can lead to some slowdown issues. But if you just need to host huge amounts of files, a good, conventional hosting plan may be just the thing. You might also look at the 'unlimited' plans at something like Bluehost --which also uses shared databases and so is not necessarily the best candidate for Drupal/Joomla or other CMS data-driven social net sites).

Anyhow, brave new web and all that... it's enough to keep a developer scrambling, I'll tell you.

• Members

new song -- "Speak to Me"

a bit different than my usual stuff...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=661726&songID=8434459

my demo of this song was done about 10 years ago, with just electric guitars and a drum machine.....

i went down to st augustine fl a while back- met with crispy, who worked in a studio down there.

we agreed to collab on a few projects.

my buddy 'crispy' took it, and applied the strange samples and looped groove to it...

i only had a MP3 of his demo backing tracks to work with it, alas, crispy disappeared....

so, i re-did the vox and guitars over the last couple of weeks, here it is!

128kbps mp3, for stream or download

or, if you want the higher 320k version, download it here:

http://rcpt.yousendit.com/786088436/b44b7856a9a845853f08fe3338816f6c

• Members

I'm not familiar with what seems to be a medley on "Drummer Boy"... is that additional material or have I only heard part of the song all these years?

:-) It's interesting you should ask. I axually used as a basis for the overall production/format, a version done in 1977 by, wait for it.....

Bing Crosby and David Bowie!

Yes I said Bing Crosby and David Bowie :-) you can check it out here on youtube, it's pretty cool actually, especially the little exchange at the begining before they start to sing? Oh you go back that far do you? LOL! It's worth the watch, all the way through. So when you see it, you'll see what inspired my production. However, I think mine is much better than Bing and David :-D

It's cute, check it out;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zMhSjDqvRs

Circa 1977... Which is interesting because Bing passed in 1977. May he rest in peace.

• Members

So I combined the classic version, with the kids reading the verses? With the Crosby Bowie version? And made my own version :-) And it's recorded in real time, no midi, I'm playing;

1. 6 string Goodall Jumbo

2. 12 string Taylor 754CE

3. Mandolin (POS) but it still sounds pretty good :-)

4. My fretless Warwick thumb bass

5. My bowtar (www.bowedguitar.com) that's the cello you hear.

6. My Roland keyboard.

And there's like 20 vocal tracks. It's racked and STACKED! Just a beautiful Christmas song! Really. And what's amazing? The little girls? They didn't have the music? They didn't know the meter, the bpm, the timing? Now listen to that little girl in the beginning? And tell me it doesn't sound like she did that reading while listening to the intro? She did not? It just "fit"... It was a God wink. I believe he had a hand in this one, really I do. Merry Christmas! Happy hanaka(sp) Ramadon(sp) Quanzie(sp) however you celebrate? Peace on earth, good will toward man... Really.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Nice, Johnny!

You clearly missed your calling... you should have been scoring silent movies. (Or maybe you have. I know Turner Classic Movies and others have commissioned new scores to replace lost [or just plain never-existent] accompaniment scores for restored silent flicks.)

This would be pretty smack on for Lon Chaney's Christmas Carol. (If such a movie had existed, think how great it would have been... Chaney could have played not just Scrooge but all three apparitions.)

• Members

hey i already posted this in the one of the forums, sorry about that...should have read the rules first :/

one of my band's newest:

http://www.soundclick.com/ashowofhands

I heard this before... don't know if I commented on it, but it's really a very tight package that should do quite well with the intended audience. Solid pop moves!

I can't weigh in on the micro-currency of contemporary styles (in today/out tomorrow/back next week), but this sounds dead ready for the folks who are into this style.

:)

• Members

:-) It's interesting you should ask. I axually used as a basis for the overall production/format, a version done in 1977 by, wait for it.....

Bing Crosby and David Bowie!

Yes I said Bing Crosby and David Bowie :-) you can check it out here on youtube, it's pretty cool actually, especially the little exchange at the begining before they start to sing? Oh you go back that far do you? LOL! It's worth the watch, all the way through. So when you see it, you'll see what inspired my production. However, I think mine is much better than Bing and David :-D

It's cute, check it out;

Circa 1977... Which is interesting because Bing passed in 1977. May he rest in peace.

Hey, Robby, I made a point of watching that special the first time it aired, 'cause I thought it was awful hip for Bing to have Bowie on.

It should be remembered, though, that Bing was one of the very hippest of the big, mainstream white stars. He palled around with jazzers of all races, had a mixed circle of friends, and snuck integrated acts into some of the stuff he had control over. (He also appeared in blackface a few times, notably in "Holiday Inn" -- where "White Christmas" was introduced -- happily, not in blackface [the blackface routine was a celebration of Lincoln's birthday at the Holiday Inn, believe it or not... I can tell myself all day long that there was an element of solidarity-with-Negroes in the persistence of whites doing blackface/minstrel stuff... but it, nonetheless, rubs my postwar sensibilities pretty wrong].)

But I think Bing's in pretty good shape, overall, on the racial front. He was apparently particularly good friends with Louis Armstrong, and any friend of Pops is a friend of mine. (And, in a family-related aside, I was just listening to brother Bob Crosby's stuff from the 30s. Most of us probably know "Big Noise from Winetka" which has been sampled and coopted into various hip hop things, butBob Crosby's band had a pretty wild and wooly soulfulness that seemed to echo the Duke Ellington stuff from the 20s.)

Archived