Shade of Blue (Marquis de Sade folk)

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Now that I've got this you tube thing going let me take another stab. This one's been floating around in my head. Can't seem to get a 2nd verse cause the 1st is so perverse. I like it though. Burned in love he adopts a little de Sade aesthetic to win her love back. Or else...

Edit: Better than the rough youtube try the worked up version on SoundClick. Shade of Blue. I need a 2nd verse! Ideas? The bit in the printed lyric below in italics is what I'm calling the verse.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=680795

[YOUTUBE]pxCpqPQvflc[/YOUTUBE]

Shade of Blue

I've got you in a shade of blue, I've got you

Yeah baby I'm cruel, in a shade of blue I've got you

I'll squeeze your heart dry

Till crimson tears are all you'll cry

You can whisper my name

Through teeth clenched in pain

Or you open your arms

Say you love me

Tell me you'll never change your mind...

...cause what's mine is mine.

• Members

I think it stands as is, but another verse wouldn't hurt. I'd hate you see you over-do the color thing (you may remember this one of mine from a few months ago) but you could go with black in a second verse. I love the device of playing a line on the guitar that matches the vocal line, as on "what's mine is mine" the first time through. I was looking forward to it the second time through, but maybe being denied fits the song's theme.

• Moderators

I think it stands as is, but another verse wouldn't hurt. I'd hate you see you over-do the color thing (you may remember
this one
of mine from a few months ago) but you could go with black in a second verse. I love the device of playing a line on the guitar that matches the vocal line, as on "what's mine is mine" the first time through. I was looking forward to it the second time through, but maybe being denied fits the song's theme.

Did you listen to the SoundClick version?

• Members

I watched the YouTube, as I've got to get a channel of my own set up, as soon as I get PhotoBooth worked out. Listening to SoundClick now...

I guess I prefer the simpler version. More intimate = more creepy. Reso slide guitar is a little too Good Time Charley for me. The track on this, with the repetitive guitar arpeggio, wah riff, and tribal drums, sounds a bit like late-period Madonna. Unless you're thinking of sending it to her--and I could see her doing it--I'd say that's not a great thing.

• Members

The soundclick is jaw-droppingly great production. However I can see what CM says about it possibly running counter to the song's intent. It starts well though - it felt at first like it was moving in a creepy Tom Waits direction. As the song progressed it seemed to sound more & more conventional. Overall I think the song's excellent regardless of arrangement.

• Moderators

The soundclick is jaw-droppingly great production. However I can see what CM says about it possibly running counter to the song's intent. It starts well though - it felt at first like it was moving in a creepy Tom Waits direction. As the song progressed it seemed to sound more & more conventional. Overall I think the song's excellent regardless of arrangement.

It's an old arrangement and tune and really I wanted to see if I could eek out a 2nd verse but most likely will recut this as is with a drummer on brushes, Dub bass guitar, acoustic guitar and upright piano. And go creepy as suggested.

Great input gents.

Of course if anyone has an idea for a 2nd verse... :)

• Members

A second verse might take it past the optimal length...;) I like the basic Youtube version but I could hear in my mind all sorts of strings to spice it up. That's the beauty of a good song - the simplicity works but inspires additions...:)

• Members

It's an old arrangement and tune and really I wanted to see if I could eek out a 2nd verse but most likely will recut this as is with a drummer on brushes, Dub bass guitar, acoustic guitar and upright piano. And go creepy as suggested.

Great input gents.

Of course if anyone has an idea for a 2nd verse...
:)

Haven't really thought it through, but some more background on the supposed transgression or something from the victim's point of view ("Polly says her back hurts") might work.

Agree with eeglug about the soundclick version - really powerful. I'm interested to hear the updated version as well.

Archived