Best instrument to write a song?

djowens123

• Members

I've taken to the ukulele lately, but maybe that's because I don't have any hand habits on it yet, the way I do on guitar or keyboards. Once I have a good grasp of uke, I might have to go concertina or banjo.

This often yields the best results for me.

Not a uke per se, but an instrument I don't already have habits on.

I also try to write a capella a lot, for the reason stated above. :o)

• Members

Thanks to everyone for their response. I played guitar for years and that was my tool of choice with some occasional synth for atmospheric songs. My parents bought a piano 2 years ago and i've been trying to learn it since. What a revelation it has been. Don't play it much... only when i visit, but it give's me enough inspiration to start a song and then go and work at home on a keyboard.

All in all, if you only play the one instrument for writing then learn another as it gives you a whole new dimension to your writing.

• Members

Band in a Box.

:D

Actually, no, though I do sometimes use it to work out and formalize arrangements. (If I just scribble chords over the lyrics, I have a tendency to re-interpret the arrangement... a number of times in the past, I've found that I'll actually evolve several ways of playing a song, sometimes changing the scale of the chord changes without realizing it, remapping a set of changes that had originally been mapped across two lines to, say one line -- or four. With BiaB, you're forced to commit to specific chords in specific bars or sections of bars -- which may be why I have so many different versions of songs in BiaB --but at least now the schizo-structural aspects are out in the open.

Mostly I write on guitar. But in the late 90s I was writing a lot on keyboards, since I was doing mostly downtempo/electronica and some house/dance stuff. Still, when a cyber-acquaintance in the UK wanted me to write lyrics and sing on a 140 bpm acid house thing, I ended up writing it on guitar. As a kind of 50s doo wop ballad, of all things. I then stripped the melody and more or less doubled the tempo into a fast staccato you-should-pardon-the-expression rap.

Archived