Use POD XT Live as a MIDI controller and boost pedal?

DracoAran

• Members

So I bought a POD XT Live for $90 bucks a couple of weeks ago....:cop:

Now I'm thinking that I might put it before my amp rack as MIDI Controller and boost pedal.

The rack right now consists of a Randall RM4 modular preamp, a Boss GT Pro, and a Marshall 9200 power amp.

So if I add the XT Live before the input...

PROS:

- Provides MIDI changes (I don't do anything else with MIDI anyway).

- Provides a boost pedal simulation on my high gain patches.

- Provides a volume pedal

- Provides a wah pedal if I ever decide to use it (one of the updated wah models is decent)

- Provides a stage tuner (besides the one in my rack)

- Provides "before the amp" effects if I ever want to use them before the amp.

- Provides a backup preamp if the RM4 fails.

- Provides a straight to PA backup to the whole rig if the Marshall 9200 fails.

- Provides a lighter rig for smaller shows (XT Live, power amp, 1x12" thiele with EVM-12L)

- Provides USB recording

- Provides silent practicing.

- Provides lit display of patch name, and it is super easy to save the name.

- Provides banks of 4 just like the RM4 preamp.

CONS:

Signal degradation. My pure guitar signal will be converted to 1's and 0's, then back to analog.

So with that said, right now I am using the GT-PRO in a 4 cable method, so it can't be any worse at coloring my tone.

I would be borrowing some expensive SPL meters from work to match the output coming out of the guitar with the output coming out of the XT LIVE (all effects bypassed). Same thing I did when I decided to use the GT-PRO.

What have your experiences been with the XT Live or the M13 thingy?

• Members

no reason not to give it a shot. sounds like you're not paying for the SPL meters, not paying for extra cables, not paying to use any other equipment... worst case scenario: you decide you hate the XTL and sell it at profit. could be much worse :thu:

• Members

I tried using a PodXT (non-live, dead?) with my Triple Rectifier and I was bitterly disappointed. I know the effects loop on the Rectos is a weak point, but it works great with my Holt Grail and the Pod was just junk.

It wasn't just signal degradation, it was full-on annihilation. I really wanted to like it, but it just didn't work for me.

But as others have said, you've already got it, so give it a try. Worst case is it costs you a couple bucks in cables that you can use later if you decide not to put it in your rig.

• Members

So I bought a POD XT Live for $90 bucks a couple of weeks ago....
:cop:

Now I'm thinking that I might put it before my amp rack as MIDI Controller and boost pedal.

The rack right now consists of a Randall RM4 modular preamp, a Boss GT Pro, and a Marshall 9200 power amp.

So if I add the XT Live before the input...

PROS:

- Provides MIDI changes (I don't do anything else with MIDI anyway).

- Provides a boost pedal simulation on my high gain patches.

- Provides a volume pedal

- Provides a wah pedal if I ever decide to use it (one of the updated wah models is decent)

- Provides a stage tuner (besides the one in my rack)

- Provides "before the amp" effects if I ever want to use them before the amp.

- Provides a backup preamp if the RM4 fails.

- Provides a straight to PA backup to the whole rig if the Marshall 9200 fails.

- Provides a lighter rig for smaller shows (XT Live, power amp, 1x12" thiele with EVM-12L)

- Provides USB recording

- Provides silent practicing.

- Provides lit display of patch name, and it is super easy to save the name.

- Provides banks of 4 just like the RM4 preamp.

CONS:

Signal degradation. My pure guitar signal will be converted to 1's and 0's, then back to analog.

So with that said, right now I am using the GT-PRO in a 4 cable method, so it can't be any worse at coloring my tone.

I would be borrowing some expensive SPL meters from work to match the output coming out of the guitar with the output coming out of the XT LIVE (all effects bypassed). Same thing I did when I decided to use the GT-PRO.

What have your experiences been with the XT Live or the M13 thingy?

I think you'll really enjoy it for this application. I've got an x3l and it plus a cab/power amp are my entire rig at this point. One piece of advice: Really, really invest some time learning the ins and outs of the unit, especially for your "direct to p.a." back-up patches. Things like the parametric e.q. and boost/amp model/cabinet interaction make all the difference in the world with the POD stuff and are often overlooked.

Archived