Friday Influences Thread 12.18.09

Stackabones

• Members

What has influenced you as a songwriter in the past ... or since the last FIT?

While at Mass last week during Gaudete (Joyful) Sunday, the third Sunday of Advent, I noticed that all the music was in minor keys. In the broadest possible way, minor keys are usually sad -- but all the music was about waiting and anticipation and joy. This started me thinking about the connection of joy and happiness and how one may not be necessarily linked to the other.

And this lead me to investigating my own beliefs & practices about how major and minor work in my own work. Perhaps I need to use tonality to reflect differently in my songs than what I've thought it should do? Instinctively I know that there is more to major than happy and more to minor than sad, but I'm not sure I've used that instinct in my songs.

One of the antiphons used was O come, O come, Emmanuel. The text dates back to at least the 12th century but could back as far as the 8th (and then back to the Bible), and the music may come from the 15th century -- but it sounds even older as if it came out of Gregorian chant.

[YOUTUBE]Yv927QNtz78[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I've gone through a Cracker phase. Big Dipper was one of my favorite tracks from the album "Golden Age" (actually, most the album is very good).

[YOUTUBE]g2igJO9StYE[/YOUTUBE]

Cigarettes, and carrot juice

And get yourself a new tattoo

For those sleeveless days of June

I'm sitting on the Caf

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

What has influenced you as a songwriter in the past ... or since the last FIT?

While at Mass last week during Gaudete (Joyful) Sunday, the third Sunday of Advent, I noticed that all the music was in minor keys. In the broadest possible way, minor keys are usually sad -- but all the music was about waiting and anticipation and joy. This started me thinking about the connection of joy and happiness and how one may not be necessarily linked to the other.

And this lead me to investigating my own beliefs & practices about how major and minor work in my own work. Perhaps I need to use tonality to reflect differently in my songs than what I've thought it should do? Instinctively I know that there is more to major than happy and more to minor than sad, but I'm not sure I've used that instinct in my songs.

One of the antiphons used was
O come, O come, Emmanuel
. The text dates back to at least the 12th century but could back as far as the 8th (and then back to the Bible), and the music may come from the 15th century -- but it sounds even older as if it came out of Gregorian chant.

Have you ever listened to Arvo Part? Contemporary (though often sounds medieval) religious music genius. I would say he's an influence, as much for his minimalism as his referencing of religious music.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

i tell this story only to be ragged on:

my band is learning Taylor Swift's You Belong With Me, distorted and just a smidge faster and sung by me, anyway i ended up learning a new strum pattern while figuring out how we were going to do the tune, and last night i started writing my own song with that strum pattern.

Therefore, this week, i was influenced by Taylor Swift.

Archived