Mesa Stiletto vs. Mesa Oversized Rectifer 4x12. Which do you prefer?

jlb32

• Members

I prefer the sound of the Stiletto cab (which FWIW used to be called the Mesa Recto Traditional). They are both excellent cabs though. The Stiletto cab is just bit more middy with a bit less bottom end boom. I guess you could say it's got a bit more classic voicing.

• Members

I'm not gonna vote because when I played the stiletto cabinet I tried my settings from when I play with my oversized cabinet and it sounded bad... but most people would pick the stiletto over the oversized one if they had a choice between two... btw I've posted this exact same thread :poke:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2240159

• Members

I missed that thread. Thanks for the link, it's helpful but what I was expecting to hear.:thu:

It's a tough decision. I don't gig and only play out when some of us get together and jam so mainly it will just get used at home. I'm highly leaning towards the Stiletto. I'm afraid the oversized Rectifier cab will just be overly bassy for home use and I personally prefer a tighter more balanced tone. I'm sure the Stiletto has more than enough bass.

In a way I think I should just stick with my 2x12 since I mainly play at home but I miss the fuller tone of a 4x12.

Decisions, decisions.:confused:

• Members

What tone are you shooting for and what head are you using bro?

Because when I had my 5150 II (very tight) the oversized cab I have worked fine because the head was so tight... but now with my 5150 ( a bit looser) I don't like the oversized cab with it that much...

• Members

What tone are you shooting for and what head are you using bro?

I have a Mesa Trem-o-verb, Mesa Mark IV and a little SS Peavey Bandit. Mainly use the Mark IV and Bandit. I love the T-verb but it's needed a retube for a while now and needs to be LOUD to really sound killer so it doesn't get as much playing time lately. It used to be my main amp when we jam but I've been slacking on getting it retubed.

As far as tone I just like a tight, focused, balanced tone. I don't really try to copy anyone else's tone per say.

• Members

the mark IV is pretty tight so the extra bass of the oversized cabinet might be nice like it was with my 5150 II but it's a tough call. If you actually have the choice between the two get the stiletto you really can't go wrong... Like you said, it's not like the stiletto won't have ENOUGH bass.

• Members

the mark IV is pretty tight so the extra bass of the oversized cabinet might be nice like it was with my 5150 II but it's a tough call. If you actually have the choice between the two get the stiletto you really can't go wrong... Like you said, it's not like the stiletto won't have ENOUGH bass.

Yeah, that's true. That is why I am leaning towards the Stiletto. It's tighter and more balanced which is what I prefer. I just hear alot of people say that the Oversized Rectifers sound alot better but I guess that depends on the amp and type of music you play.

I've actually played both Mesa 4x12's before but it's been several years. I know at that time I did prefer the Traditional slightly but both sounded good depending on the music.

• Members

I missed that thread. Thanks for the link, it's helpful but what I was expecting to hear.
:thu:

It's a tough decision. I don't gig and only play out when some of us get together and jam so mainly it will just get used at home. I'm highly leaning towards the Stiletto. I'm afraid the oversized Rectifier cab will just be overly bassy for home use and I personally prefer a tighter more balanced tone. I'm sure the Stiletto has more than enough bass.

I had a Stiletto for years (though recently sold it to order a Mills). If you want tight and balanced, definitely get it over the oversized. I played a stiletto and oversized side by side and the Stiletto cut right through the oversized. The oversized does have a ton of bass, a lot more than the stiletto, but is also very boomy and loose. The stiletto has enough bass, but it's not a massive sounding cab by any stretch. Or you could just buy a Road King cab. Huge low end and tight and clear to boot. :poke:

• Members

. The stiletto has enough bass, but it's not a massive sounding cab by any stretch. Or you could just buy a Road King cab. Huge low end and tight and clear to boot. :poke:

YUP, looks like the over-size is deff for me then !

I always thought the over-size cab IS the Road King cab ?

Two diff cabs then ?

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/GuitarCabinets.html

Man, going by this pic, there is almost no frontal size diff :eek: . . . is there really such a huge bass response diff between the two ???

:confused:

• Members

Too boomy, flubby, etc. There's been a pretty strong hate trend on HCAF for the oversized for quite awhile if you do a search.
:lol:

Back in the late 90's/early 00's the OS cabs were more popular/accepted on the forum though.

So, does that mean there are many unhappy over size owners, willing to sell at a good price ?

Seeing that there is so much hate for them right now ?

:idea:

• Members

I always thought the over-size cab
IS
the Road King cab ?

Two diff cabs then ?

Man, going by this pic, there is almost no frontal size diff
:eek:
. . . is there really such a huge bass response diff between the two ???

:confused:

The road king is the same dimensions as the oversized, but nothing alike really. It has a sealed 2x12 side with V30s and a open back 2x12 side with C90s. It's not quite as bassy as the oversized, but it's pretty close. But unlike the oversized cab, it's tight and clear sounding. If you're looking for a monster sound to use with your 7 string or something, it's probably not the best choice, but for everything else, the road king kills both the oversized and the stiletto IMO. I owned the Stiletto cab for a long time and I still have an oversized 2x12 and the Road King became my go to cab the second I brought it home. Smoked every other cab I've had (Lopo, Marshall 1960a, other mesas, crate to name a few)

• Members

The road king is the same dimensions as the oversized, but nothing alike really. It has a sealed 2x12 side with V30s and a open back 2x12 side with C90s. It's not quite as bassy as the oversized, but it's pretty close. But unlike the oversized cab, it's tight and clear sounding. If you're looking for a monster sound to use with your 7 string or something, it's probably not the best choice, but for everything else, the road king kills both the oversized and the stiletto IMO. I owned the Stiletto cab for a long time and I still have an oversized 2x12 and the Road King became my go to cab the second I brought it home. Smoked every other cab I've had (Lopo, Marshall 1960a, other mesas, crate to name a few)

Thanks for shedding some light on that matter :thu:

Still, it sounds like the over-size cab is for me then, as i need a 4x12 for a fuzzy bass heavy, yet very (((loose)) low-end tone :idea:

. . . think SLEEP, Acid King, Earth and the like.

• Members

Thanks for shedding some light on that matter
:thu:

Still, it sounds like the over-size cab is for me then, as i need a 4x12 for a fuzzy bass heavy, yet very (((
l
o
o
s
e
)) low-end tone
:idea:
. . . think SLEEP, Acid King, Earth and the like.

Stick with the Oversized then. Sounds perfect for what you do. The stiletto or road king wouldn't get you that kind of sound. The oversized will, big time.

Archived