Why do the majority of new songs SUCK these days?

grace_slick

• Members

I work with mostly 20-something folks and none of them listen to the radio either. We have a communal music system so I get to hear what they like. I can tell you that most of what they like is
not
what I hear "out on the streets". I don't always agree with their tastes but there is depth and sensitivity in their choices. As I type this, a coworker just put on some Tom Waits to listen to.

Well, what is "out in the streets", to me, denotes "popular".

yes, I know that there exist young people with different, more interesting tastes. (usually from their parents..initially)

but, unfortunately, these are a minority

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, what is "out in the streets", to me, denotes "popular".

yes, I know that there exist young people with different, more interesting tastes. (usually from their parents..initially)

but, unfortunately, these are a minority

You should really go talk to some young people and ask them what they listen to. You might be surprised. Don't gauge things by what you're hearing at Wal-Mart or Target.

• Members

You should really go talk to some young people and ask them what they listen to. You might be surprised.

In particular, most of the twenty-somethings that I know never listen to the radio *at all*. They grew up in the Internet era, and what they listen to is what they run across on the music blogs (plus whatever they learned from their parents of course) not anything on the radio. If they listen to "radio", it is Last.fm or Pandora with the "Listen to artists like X" where X is generally *NOT* the Jonas Brothers or Lady Gaga, but, rather, some artist that I never heard of that they heard about on one of the music blogs (or vlogs, as they call the video version). Some of which is *good*, BTW. Not all, or even the majority, of course. But that's never been the case regardless of era.

• Members

46,000 views.

46,000 views while so many talented artists toil in obscurity.

It is funny and all, but that makes me a bit sad.

that's a really good point that i hadn't even considered (honestly i was tryin to find teh song played on steel drums, my curiosity was piqued), and i agree it's sad for us as consumers of media, but, maybe it's also sad for us as artists? maybe it points to our failure? should we be embracing animation and video more to actively build a community around ourselves? to promote ourselves? should we be engaging the artists around us with the skills in flash and linear sequencing as tight communities?

also, how does our Notion of Artists as Artists affect the argument? we've been bandying about a few specific examples of artists that annoy us or artists we consider great, and when i saw Lady Gaga right up there i had a bit of a pause, because i'd consider that great pop music, there's an artist who has struggled Hard to keep her artistic integrity and to maintain control over her music and the Rights to her music, but she gets played next to artists like Kei$ha with no redeaming value and placed with them, do we do damage to the entire artistic ecosystem by making such judgements? do the exceptions prove the rule?

• Members

46,000 views.

46,000 views while so many talented artists toil in obscurity.

It is funny and all, but that makes me a bit sad.

This will not knock the Chipmunks off their throne. Trust me.

Over in the acoustic guitar forum, folks were posting what they apparently felt was ridicule worthy YouTube offerings (I always say folks in glass houses should watch out when their using their slingshots) and they did find some real groaners... One of them had around 4,500 plays... not an avalanche by YouTube meme standards, but more than a lot of quite decent YouTube offerings I've seen -- yet the guy's guitar wasn't in tune, his singing was quite pitchy, and he most definitely was neither young nor pretty. Maybe he worked in the IT department and set up a script to keep hitting the page, I dunno... but it made me think... even if most of those folks clicked off after 15 or 20 seconds... what a shame that they were wasting time there rather than on someone who was actually pretty good.

Archived