Why do the majority of new songs SUCK these days?

grace_slick

• Moderators

As everyone's talking about suck, I'm having a personal Flaming Lips revival. Any channel of music controlled by $ rather than artistic merit is suspect. Well, suspect isn't the word is it? Guilty. That's the word.

But that's a given.

I came upon the Lips via my sis in San Fransisco. Years ago. "Lee, check this out." Are we really bemoaning radio? OMG, when did this happen?!?!?!? Come on.

Music is music. And $ is $. It's nothing new. Worse now, sure. But it has been a ongoing and ever-present thing. So are we really going to say...

Nickleback sucks!

Who cares?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But demographic analysis allowed marketers to 'divide and conquer' the once-musically integrated pop scene.

So wouldn't this very structure be the problem?

Put simply, anything that's really NEW won't fit into a pre-defined category, thus there won't be a Sirius/XM channel playlist waiting for it.......

So, the question still remains: How can the system as it exists today deal with what industry calls "disruptive technology", or simply a new music style?

• Members

"1910 Fruitgum Company" is the Greatest Band Name Ever.

And "Yummy Yummy Yummy (I Got Love in My Tummy)" is certainly the greatest song name ever...

Still... the song itself makes me want to rip my ears off the sides of my head and stick dynamite in the holes. :D

• Members

Oh, OAFCORE. You have found me. My dirty laundry of Katy Perry. LOL. I don't care for her songs. I just find her vaguely interesting in terms of her personality and find her fairly attractive. In looks alone, she reminds me of a modern young Grace Slick. lol

I do see your point. I should clarify again that the 90s for me represent MY OWN distaste in music at its highest point. I hate rap, techno, dance, grunge...I associate all of those things with the 90s.

But yes, everyone has their own tastes and it's all valid.

Edit - I'm also a total Twitter whore. I don't care for Katy Perry. I don't care for...half the people on there! I think I've got Portia De Rossi on there for god's sake! lol

Portia De Rossi is hot. I would be tempted to do her. And I don't like vaginas.

• Members

As everyone's talking about suck, I'm having a personal Flaming Lips revival. Any channel of music controlled by $ rather than artistic merit is suspect. Well, suspect isn't the word is it? Guilty. That's the word.

But that's a given.

I came upon the Lips via my sis in San Fransisco. Years ago. "Lee, check this out." Are we really bemoaning radio? OMG, when did this happen?!?!?!? Come on.

Music is music. And $ is $. It's nothing new. Worse now, sure. But it has been a ongoing and ever-present thing. So are we really going to say...

Nickleback sucks!

Who cares?

LOVE the new Flaming Lips single ;)

• Members

I can answer this question:

The reason today's radio music sux is because it IS new. What I mean is, the further back you go, the more time folks have to really see if something stands the test of time, and when something DOES, THAT'S what gets played. All the garbage gets forgotten.

The 2000s (2000-2009) are still so new that the cream has not had a chance to rise to the top.

The 90s... are unfairly characterized by certain genres, just like a lot of decades.

• Members

When I show up on your studio doorstep with twin dynamite sticks coming out the sides of my head and lit fuses, we'll just have to get a then-current sounding on your attitudes toward the issue...
;)

get an audio recording of that encounter, sample it, make a million dollars, retire.

B2B-(lighter noise)

Lee-(door noise)

B2B-Hi!

Lee-Ack!

BANG

lighter, door, hiackbang! lighter, door, hiackbang! lighter, door, hiackbang! lighter, door, hiackbang!

i'm telling you, put a sultry female singer under it, got Hit written all over.

• Members

And "Yummy Yummy Yummy (I Got Love in My Tummy)"
is
certainly the greatest song name ever...

Still... the song itself makes me want to rip my ears off the sides of my head and stick dynamite in the holes.
:D

I did a drive by on this thread early this morning.......big mistake.

I really didn't need that song stuck in my head all day.

• Members

It's the same old story. You've always had to sift through the garbage to find something truly great. It's just that the pile has gotten a hell of a lot bigger in the information age.

That being said, I absolutely adore so many bands and artists that are playing right now. Drive-By Truckers, Ryan Adams, Bon Iver, Wintersleep, Fleet Foxes, The Decemberists, Tegan and Sara, My Morning Jacket.

I honestly think the system is due for a reset; the emerging pattern for the musicians I know and play with, at least, seems to be the DIY with indie distro or an artists collective over the whole major label thing.

• Members

I think todays music needs more autotune.

Something I know we can all agree on.

And -- for gosh sake -- can't we go back to all those supposed classics and Melodyne DNA them? I mean, that Nat Cole guy or Mel Torme... you call that singing? They go in between the notes all the time...

And speaking of time... all those damn jazz drummers... we need to get those guys onto the grid...

• Members

Sad Fact:

- I was eating at Subway in early December and 6/7 of the songs that came on had that autotune chorus vomit thing going on. I didn't realize how prevalent it has become in the last year. I don't have a car and that's the only place I ever listen to the radio. Scared the hell out of me. God bless ignorance and getting all my music suggestions from forums and friends.

• Members

To sum it up-why music today sucks, it's because everything got more corporate.

I have a billboard history of rock n roll book and when it gets to the mid 90's it talks about this period specifically. Thats when I noticed MTV changing, it seemed like an ok station before then, not great but certainly not what it is today. I remember obscurer artists like the Seattle bands and just less cool looking people like Cracker making it on the station... Alternative music became the Gin Blossoms, Third Eye Blind, Matchbox 20. Grunge became Creed and Bush. Even if you like some of those bands mentioned above, they were more commercial, not as much grit as Janes Addiction or the other Seattle bands that seemed more real.

The problem with music or film for that matter today is it probably doesn't suck, its just harder to find. I have the internet, radio, MTV and I still hear more about the movie "Twilight" than the more artistic "Sin Nombre" which was a GREAT movie.

• Members

Sad Fact:

- I was eating at Subway in early December and 6/7 of the songs that came on had that autotune chorus vomit thing going on. I didn't realize how prevalent it has become in the last year. I don't have a car and that's the only place I ever listen to the radio. Scared the hell out of me. God bless ignorance and getting all my music suggestions from forums and friends.

Two summers ago a tradesman parked his van in front of a house a block over from me and blasted some kind of 'jack radio' station out above the sound of his power tools as he worked on something or other. One of those stations that just uses shuffle mode to got through an unrelated stack of pop tracks from the last 20 years or so. Lots of emo and so-called modern rock.

And, of course, loads of Auto-Tune.

But because it was this robo-clectic mix with stuff from before the advent of push-button retuning started in 1998 or so with the advent of Auto-Tune, you could really hear the difference.

I had my windows closed against the noxious aural pollution but he had it jacked, no pun intended.

And something about coming across the street and around the houses and through my closed windows seemed to really accentuate the prominence of the vocal retuning artifacts on all the newer rock tracks -- particularly on tracks that were not robo-tuned for effect but simply the product of some tin-eared bozo who apparently couldn't tell what a rotten job he'd done, as the artifacts cut in and out, apparently without his notice.

It was one of the first times I'd realized how many rock, indie, and emo bands were using vocal retuning... a real revelation.

Rock is dead. For sure.

• Members

I saw a jazz trio change their tempo all over the place... That's some kinda time
:thu:

;)

It's amazing what you can get away with when you have skill, feel, and a good ear.

So many rock players spend all their woodshed time drilling faster and faster over what are inherently uninvolving, schematic scalar inventions... but good jazzersoften spend their time learning how to play music with others instead of just blasting a solo out over everyone else and then going back into their box until the next solo.

• Members

Rock
is
dead. For sure.

but isn't the point here, and every time this thread gets started, that music survives? that Product and Art are two different things made by two different sets of people for entirely different reasons and we should be damn proud to caste our lot with the punk-spirit diy bohemian brothers and sisters throughout the ages who have always pushed and advanced and created? isn't that what Rock And Mother {censored}ing Roll is? Coming together and seeing just how bleeding hot we get our tubes, how much fun we can have taking it from our bedrooms to the stage, how loud we can get it until everything is so loud that we need it to be quiet, and in turning down we create something new within us, an ever evolved eternally shifting paradigm of love?

Rock Can't Die!

Archived