Your New Year musical resolutions?

djowens123

• Members

This is a post for everyone to make a pledge one way or another to try to make 2010 a year for the better. Then we can all look back a year from now and think... {censored}... where did it all go wrong!!!!

Ok... i'll go first.

Gotta slow down writing and start recording what i write. It used to go hand in hand but i have become lazy and never get around to recording... so i intend to get a few tracks laid down this year.

Go on... make one!

• Members

Guitar:

Improve my chord vocabulary. 6ths, 9ths, b5, inversions, chord melody

Improve my harmony awareness (what key am I in - what tonality am I moving to - how do I get there)

Bass:

Work through the Motown Bass Classics and Funkmasters books

Keys:

Develop a better touch. Apply the stuff I'm learning on the guitar to the keyboard.

Recording:

Get a great acoustic guitar sound. I just picked up a lovely sounding Taylor 310 and an SM-81: figure out what that combination can do and make it a centerpiece of my songwriting.

Keep educating my ears on compression and eq

Do a Month of Songs this July.

• Members

It's a weird arrangement, but I'll have the summer to myself if I'm working, but I'll spend the summer looking for a job if I get laid off. If nothing comes up during hiring season, though, I suppose I'll have a year of songs, since not too many teachers get hired September-May.

• Members

In 2010 I'm going to be working more with chicks. And redo a couple of my old ones done in tape back in the day. I would also like to do a grass tune or two, and if I get cash back from the ex for my lawyers, I'm buying a Dusenburg Pomona 6 lap steel and learning to play it.

• Moderators

Gosh... I don't know about resolutions. I've never had any success with that. Big changes for me tend to come when a whole lot of little variables sort line up and the time presents itself as the right time and... plunck... I'm in the middle of a big change.

In other words, instead of me being dictated by the calender, I'm dictating it. Sort of.

And that big change for me came when I decided to stop letting my ideas disappear in to the ether. To start documenting them and later evaluating them and then refining them to some sort of resemblance to quality.

I took 30 year off from that, just backing up others. Handheld recorder, MS Word, Rhyming Dictionary, a pile of books, iPhoto and YouTube. I'm in.

• Members

I'm going to keep on keeping on. Record some of my originals, and some covers, same same. The only real "chage" is I'm going to work with some chicks. I have one who's a really good jazz singer? So I'm going to do a couple of demos for her, and then she will be my slave when I need chick vocals :-) I'm even going to dress her in a princess Leah bikini and put a chain around her neck and hold the other end like Jaba LOL!l

• Members

* Write more to completion

* record more of what I have written

* Stop looking for excuses and procrastinating (looking at gear to buy is a wonderful procrastination technique)

* Get more sleep (if my two young kids let me -- honestly, I have barely slept in 4 years and it really really sucks, makes it hard to stay up an play music, or even really be functional)

* Get better on the 'lectric guitar. I've got a very decent Strat, saved up bought it on consignment as a teenager for $500, who ever sold it must have seriously needed cash fast (from the markings on the body, the stamp in the neck cavity, and wood type it seems to be originally (but modified along the way) an '83 JV reissue of a 1962 Strat in lake placid blue, with a new neck (thus no serial number), a decent humbucker at the bridge and an original Floyd Rose tremolo (which I might sell and move back to a fixed bridge, the Floyd is a pain in the ass when a string breaks, and honestly I never use it). It is a much better instrument than I have the ability to play which quite sucks. Her name is Mabel. I want to make Mabel sing like no one else. :lol:

• Members

......I decided to stop letting my ideas disappear in to the ether. To start documenting them and later evaluating them and then refining them...........

I hereby resolve to prod Lee into posting more tunes.:poke:

Seriously, though........on a more musical note:facepalm:.......I intend to go in search of the lost chord. My guitar playing is beginning to get complacent while the rest of my life goes in odd directions. So, in both cases I shall turn and face the ch..ch..ch..changes.

• Moderators

I hereby resolve to prod Lee into posting more tunes.:poke:

Thanks! I needed that. :) I've got a new one brewing. I'm lost in the music at this point with zero lyric ideas but they're formulating. Based on a modified doo wop progression:

I vi IV V

But trying to take that to another, more modern direction. :idk: Per rsadasiv's possible challenge coming up.

• Members

My number one is to improve my vocals. Other than that, I plan on getting a more complete grasp on music theory for my style of music, applying the new theory I will have learned on guitar and not just keyboard, improve on bass (mostly just theory stuff for writing bass parts), continue to learn more about recording, mixing and mastering....and perhaps record a full length album? hmm. We'll see.

Archived