A community, vs. a visitor?

rockinrobby

• Moderators

We're also forgetting how good it is for one's craft to think critically about songs, especially the not-ready-for-radio songs that come up here. If you want to be a songwriter, you're going to need to know what makes a song work, or not work.

Yep. I agree. The idea that you post a recording so you can bask in glory is kind of silly when there are several guys trying to eek the last bit of quality out of their own work. That's what's so cool about this here...

You post, and 10+ minds who are in the same pickle you're in, tuned into the same challenge, look at your work while their antennae are already up and tuned in. Hopefully you've given enough to justify receiving.

It's a powerful tool if you decide to play.

• Members

Absolutely. So long as the "why" is behind a critics reasoning.
:thu:

You bet... no one learns much from, "Dude, you rock," or, conversely, from, "Sorry, this sucks."

That doesn't mean one has to be an analytical wizard -- by any stretch.

Even a vague stab in the right direction can be helpful. "There's something that doesn't work for me about the rhythm in the chorus," could be pretty helpful.

• Members

I don't think there is any real harm done by these threads as after all if you don't like them then don't read them or don't respond to them. It may be a way for "newbies" to introduce themselves and then perhaps get involved with the site in a constructive way. I take blues point that they would be better placed to post on the send your mp3 tracks etc but in fairness to them they are probably just keen to get an opinion of their songs and i'm sure blue will contact them in that respect for some gentle guidance.

• Members

We're also forgetting how good it is for one's craft to think critically about songs, especially the not-ready-for-radio songs that come up here. If you want to be a songwriter, you're going to need to know what makes a song work, or not work.

Good point, but songs that work don't necessarily work on the radio.

• Members

I don't think there is any real harm done by these threads as after all if you don't like them then don't read them or don't respond to them. It may be a way for "newbies" to introduce themselves and then perhaps get involved with the site in a constructive way. I take blues point that they would be better placed to post on the send your mp3 tracks etc but in fairness to them they are probably just keen to get an opinion of their songs and i'm sure blue will contact them in that respect for some gentle guidance.

I just went over to one of Soundclick's forums... out of 40 threads listed, only 11 had even a single response... the rest were just taking up space. (And it didn't escape my notice that many of the posts were old... the first page of the listing went back all the way to Nov 6 of last year.)

And what benefit to the Songwriting Forum would there be in opening the forum up to promo posts?

People who are interested in promoting themselves are not there to discuss songwriting and offer constructive criticism -- they are there desperately trying to get someone to listen to their music. It's a pathetic spectacle that doesn't help anyone. (Andk, trust me,I've done a lot of promo... :D)

• Members
I just went over to one of Soundclick's forums... out of 40 threads listed, only 11 had even a single response... the rest were just taking up space. (And it didn't escape my notice that many of the posts were
old...
the first page of the listing went back all the way to Nov 6 of last year.)

And what
benefit
to the Songwriting Forum would there be in opening the forum up to promo posts?

People who are interested in promoting themselves are
not
there to discuss songwriting and offer constructive criticism -- they are there desperately trying to get someone to listen to their music. It's a pathetic spectacle that doesn't help anyone. (Andk,
trust me
,I've done a lot of
promo...
:D
)

I wasn't trying to promote anything. I did suggest that the mp3 thread would be best.I just have sympathy towards "newbies" as they might have just stumbled across this site/forum quite innocently in the hope that someone will listen too and perhaps give guidance for one of their songs. Ok, if they do the same thread over and over then that is a problem but if it's just their first thread or two then i think they should be embraced.

• Members
I wasn't trying to promote anything. I did suggest that the mp3 thread would be best.I just have sympathy towards "newbies" as they might have just stumbled across this site/forum quite innocently in the hope that someone will listen too and perhaps give guidance for one of their songs. Ok, if they do the same thread over and over then that is a problem but if it's just their first thread or two then i think they should be embraced.

absolutely, how else can one get in on the fun around here :wave:, altho' it is a wise option to post a few crits first, I've gotten a lot more good vibes than bad, (a few bad reviews ) but they're always in good taste and have helped tremendously.

Archived