What cities can an aspiring rock/pop songwriter find friends/bandmates in?

Main Offender

• Members

Figuring that you songwriters on here would know....I lurk a lot, have posted a few times, and figure if anyone can help, you guys can.

I'm in my 20s and am too restless (and free of commitments, honestly) to have to settle down right now, and after a lot of soul-searching and false starts, I've decided I'd like to move to somewhere with a good rock/pop scene and go for a shot at the title. I know the odds these days....but, at worst, I try and fail, and know at least I tried my best, and don't sit around 30 years later wondering "what if".

So, where does a guy whose favorite songwriters list would include: Springsteen, Petty, Strummer/Jones, Townshend, Costello, Fogerty, Buckingham and Fieger go to find fellow bandmates, clubs, and people who appreciate energetic pop/rock? LA? NYC? Nashville? Somewhere else entirely? :confused:

• Members

Folks have been headed down to Austin since the 90s and further back to the hotbed blues era of the 50s & 60s. In the past one of the best kept secrets about Austin was that most of the bands were based in Dallas/Denton. It's a cool town (though it has outgrown its hype in certain aspects), but hotter than hell in the summer. And if you don't like Texans, then you won't like Texas. I'm amazed how some folks just don't understand that basic idea. No one in Texas will ever ask where you are from -- wouldn't want to embarrass you if you weren't from Texas.

btw, if you can't figure out what TVZ means, don't even bother coming here. ;)

Why not try to make it happen in your own town? Or look to college towns.

• Members

i've heard austin as well, Montreal is Awesome for music, tons of clubs, a dedicated group of music-fans who support their artists, we go up once a year for various festivals and have a great time. i live near Boston and there's a decent scene here, mostly harder music, but lots of little clubs around MA and NH that support singer/songwriter types if you're willing to drive around a good bit to the college towns, oh and live in a van, because rent in boston is pretty nuts if you're not working a full time job.

Archived