How do you "shop" a song?

TN.Frank

• Members

So, let's say you written a song, something reasonable decent that you'd like to "shop" to see if anyone would be interested in buyin' it. So, is there a place to go to post it "For Sale" or do you need to get it to a record company or what?

• Members

An average car sales men sits at car lot and waits for people to walk up and then tries to sell them a car. A good car sales men is able to get people on the phone ahead a time. First step in either case is to identify your customers.

To "shop" a song you are going to need to do alot more than stick a for sale sign on it. You need to identify who might buy it, and start talking to them. On the phone works, but face to face is always better.

• Members

Imagine how many folks have the exact same idea as you have and live in places like you do, and now imagine how many professional (and amateur) songwriters actually live in Nashville (or some other song town). Calculate your chances. It's not a long shot, it's not a shot.

Also note that most songwriters don't try to sell reasonably decent songs. They try to sell the absolutely effin' best thing they've got -- and even then, it's tough going.

Work on your local market. See if you can get a local band to play your song. Or just go out and start playing it yourself. If that's too hard to do, then don't even think about trying to sell your song elsewhere.

YMMV.

• Members

Work on your local market. See if you can get a local band to play your song. Or just go out and start playing it yourself. If that's too hard to do, then don't even think about trying to sell your song elsewhere.

YMMV.

Or as Ronan Chris Murphy said recently in this thread (which asked where a fledling singer/songwrier should move to for his career):

Of course you are going to get a ton of advice, but the one that I would suggest you consider would be to stay put where you are and start developing a career. But the thing is to not sit around waiting for it happen, but as we used to say in the old days of punk "Get in the F***ing Van"

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-business/463706-where-should-singer-songwriter-move.html

Meaning, of course, the equivalent of getting off one's backside and getting out and start gigging. Or, in this case, shopping your songs directly to musicians in your area (or, I'd add, those you know online, community is community, wherever you find it).

Honestly, I, personally don't know what the right approach is. Blessing or curse, I took a class on the commercial music business from a veteran producer when I was studying recording and it was a real jolt of cold water. I suddenly realized that my various pals who'd been screwed over by publishers, labels and managers were not the exceptions but rather the rule. As a consequence I've tried never to have anything to do with publishers, labels, and managers as an artist/songwriter. Of course, it's been easy, as the feeling is apparently mutual. :D

• Members

I do know a couple people in the business. Jamie Harper(Fiddle Player for Carrie Hassler and Hard Rain) goes to the same Church as I do and Joe Wyatt is Guitarist/Band Leader for Lofton Creek Recording Artist Pat Roper so I've got a couple "ins" into the business. Just need to write something good enough and get it to em'.

• Members

I do know a couple people in the business. Jamie Harper(Fiddle Player for Carrie Hassler and Hard Rain) goes to the same Church as I do and Joe Wyatt is Guitarist/Band Leader for Lofton Creek Recording Artist Pat Roper so I've got a couple "ins" into the business. Just need to write something good enough and get it to em'.

Sounds like you're better off than the rest of us. I imagine you'll be getting a few PM's--"could you slide this one to Mr. Harper at the next service?".

• Members

My only real problem is that while I totally love Bluegrass music I just don't have a "feel" for writting it. The timing and stuff are so totally different then the Metal/Classic Rock/Country that I'd be more comfortable writting for. I've been trying to get him to get together and teach me a few Bluegrass songs so we can jam a bit together but so far it's not happened. Maybe after we get the new Church building up then we'll have a Music Room where we can hang out and pick/play.

• Members

My only real problem is that while I totally love Bluegrass music I just don't have a "feel" for writting it. The timing and stuff are so totally different then the Metal/Classic Rock/Country that I'd be more comfortable writting for. I've been trying to get him to get together and teach me a few Bluegrass songs so we can jam a bit together but so far it's not happened. Maybe after we get the new Church building up then we'll have a Music Room where we can hang out and pick/play.

Well then, be the guy that writes bluegrass-ish music with a Metal/Classic Rock/Country vibe to it! Create your own niche. It may be harder to write a commercial "hit" that way, but the odds are already pretty unfavorable there anyway...might as well do what YOU do and maybe you'll come up with something unique and original that will spark people's interests.

• Members

Anyone here ever use Taxi to shop songs? I know it costs decent money and you probably shouldn't even go there until you have a pretty good catalog of songs you think are up to snuff, but I'm just curious if any of you guys have any experience with that.

• Members

Anyone here ever use Taxi to shop songs? I know it costs decent money and you probably shouldn't even go there until you have a pretty good catalog of songs you think are up to snuff, but I'm just curious if any of you guys have any experience with that.

I haven't used them, but I've heard stories from the great to the rotten. I think the gist of using Taxi is to really follow precisely the guidelines given and to intimately know the genre in which you submit. I'm sure it works for a certain percentage of Taxi members.

Archived