Using preamp to replace amp?

shadowshocker

• Members

If I run a guitar signal through a preamp then through effects, using no amp, will it sound like rubbish, or decent? I'm not looking for the absolute best tone, just something to work with (add effects to, clean up, etc.). Currently I'm using a Vox Pathfinder 15r, and running the signal out of the external speaker output (or out of the line output, either one works) and then into effects pedals, then into monitors.

Reason I want to get rid of the amp and just get a preamp if it's possible, are:

- amp sucks, I clean up the tone afterwards with effects (tube eq)

- amps somewhat broken, and distorts when I play chords too loud (aka not loud at all)

- I don't gig, just record/sample, so amp is a waste when all I use it for is to boost guitar signal

- amp is solid state, and I assume if it works, a tube preamp will sound a little bit better using less reliability on the eq to create good tone

I really want to avoid buying another amp, and have a more useful tool (preamp) for uses with more instruments than just the guitar. Not to mention the hassle of micing up amps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

• Members

maybe if your preamp has a simulated cabinet emulator. but a bass preamp isn't really that similar to a guitar preamp.

you're kinda asking for one thing that does it all.. and it doesn't really exist.. but you could make do with a pre into a PA if you do have a cabinet emulator... but it's a little confining if you don't like it's particular cab emulation..

you could always go axefx...

• Members

why am i even responding to this? :facepalm:

I'm not sure how you're "cleaning up" your tone with an EQ, so i'll ignore that.

Why don't you just get a POD or something similar?

A POD or other digital modeler will sound 10X better running straight into monitors that a standard preamp with no speaker emulation.

A POD will let you go straight into a PC or recorder for recording as well, which would simplify your setup i think.

The POD X3 can be used for guitar, bass, and vocals.

I have no experience with one, FWIW.

• Members
why am i even responding to this?
:facepalm:

I'm not sure how you're "cleaning up" your tone with an EQ, so i'll ignore that.

A POD or other digital modeler will sound 10X better running straight into monitors that a standard preamp with no speaker emulation.

A POD will let you go straight into a PC or recorder for recording as well, which would simplify your setup i think.

well.. a pod kinda IS a preamp WITH speaker emulation...

• Members

Unless you're using powered monitors, you'll need a power section for any kind of volume. Even if they're powered monitors it'll sound like crap unless you have speaker emulation on the preamp (or one of the pedals).

You also may want to try running your guitar into the effect pedals and then into your amp.

Probably the best way to go if you don't have much $ is a bit better combo amp. You can usually get a pretty good deal on some things used. If you're not worried about tube amps you could always go for a better and more powerful Vox modeler, though it may be worth looking into the Blackstar HT-5 combo.

• Members
why am i even responding to this?
:facepalm:

The POD X3 can be used for guitar, bass, and vocals.

I have no experience with one, FWIW.

:p

Reason I'd rather not get a Pod, is cause anytime I've used any sort of modeling, emulation, etc. I always end up just getting the real thing, and realize the fake emulation sounds like {censored}. It usually takes quite awhile before I switch and buy the real thing, but it ends up wasting me money before I actually get what I want. I'm sure the Pod can sound good, and I'm sure it's useful, but I've used amp modeling before in an effects pedal, then I switched to an amp, and the sound was much better afterwards.

I am using powered monitors by the way, so no need for a power amp.

So, if the preamp situation is a no, could I get a tube amp, and run the effects loop out into the pedals, then instead of back into the amp, run them into the monitors? Or is this essentially the same thing as running through just a preamp.

Thanks!

• Members
:p

Reason I'd rather not get a Pod, is cause anytime I've used any sort of modeling, emulation, etc. I always end up just getting the real thing, and realize the fake emulation sounds like {censored}. It usually takes quite awhile before I switch and buy the real thing, but it ends up wasting me money before I actually get what I want. I'm sure the Pod can sound good, and I'm sure it's useful, but I've used amp modeling before in an effects pedal, then I switched to an amp, and the sound was much better afterwards.

I am using powered monitors by the way, so no need for a power amp.

So, if the preamp situation is a no,
could I get a tube amp, and run the effects loop out into the pedals, then instead of back into the amp, run them into the monitors?
Or is this essentially the same thing as running through just a preamp.

Thanks!

Two problems (one major) with doing that:
1) There needs to be a load on the tube amp. In other words, you'd still need to leave its own speaker plugged in or would need a dummy load (kind of not too cheap to come by) so you don't mess up the amp's transformer.
2) You'll have the exact same problem with just using a preamp -- you'll only be using the tube amp's preamp section, so you'll get a harsh, fizzy sound that needs speaker emulation.

A way around modeling and still having speaker emulation is getting something like the Red Box:
!BTPQNZgCGk~$(KGrHgoH-C8EjlLly(kEBKHYcSu
from one of the ebay auctions...
http://cgi.ebay.com/hughes-kettner-Red-Box-Mk-II_W0QQitemZ250432888763QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item3a4ef69fbb&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Personally, I'd rather just get a combo amp, but that setup might still sound pretty cool and work fine for running direct to computer for recording.

• Members
Two problems (one major) with doing that:

1) There needs to be a load on the tube amp. In other words, you'd still need to leave its own speaker plugged in or would need a dummy load (kind of not too cheap to come by) so you don't mess up the amp's transformer.

2) You'll have the exact same problem with just using a preamp -- you'll only be using the tube amp's preamp section, so you'll get a harsh, fizzy sound that needs speaker emulation.

A way around modeling and still having speaker emulation is getting something like the Red Box:

!BTPQNZgCGk~$(KGrHgoH-C8EjlLly(kEBKHYcSu
from one of the ebay auctions...

http://cgi.ebay.com/hughes-kettner-Red-Box-Mk-II_W0QQitemZ250432888763QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item3a4ef69fbb&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Personally, I'd rather just get a combo amp, but that setup might still sound pretty cool and work fine for running direct to computer for recording.

Alright, I guess I'll just save some cash and go with the micing up of a tube amp. One final question though, if I'm micing up an amp, how sensitive is it to other things in the room. Is it easy to get a clear recording? I plan on having a computer on nearby, and I'll be using a loop pedal, so if it's gonna pick up the sound of me clicking on and off the pedal each time I loop something or the sound of the computer fan, I might as well go with one of the other options.

• Members

yeah the PODs, pandoras, etc... i've seen them run into PAs and actually sound better than some people who use real amps. all in what you like and what you play i guess. the guy i saw doing it was in a small trio, and drive dynamics werent a part of it, so he didnt really need teh t00bzes. it was either icepick clean or santana gain or jazz. no middle ground.

Archived