Writing "Sleep" phase II

Lee Knight

• Moderators

No new lyrics yet, but the ideas of Leo and Snow Angel have appealed to me. I think it's about comforting someone you love. Letting them know that whatever happens inlife, there's always that wonderful place waiting for us if we choose. Dreams. Here's what I've got musically so far with lots of la dee dah-ing to fill in the missing lyrical content. Comment away. You guys are alwasy a huge help... I'm thinking piano rather than guitar and melodica perhaps?

[YOUTUBE]dWNsFmjDDXs[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Great melody, Lee. I'm thinking about the piano rather than guitar and I'm just not sure. It could be really beautiful on the piano, but I wouldn't say that it doesn't work on guitar though...I think a guitar arrangement could be really great. The little guitar riff that you play leading out of the verses and into the chorus is a great touch and is a real keeper whatever way you go.

Did I say that I loved the melody? Especially the 3rd & 4th line of the verses. Very, very cool. Keep hammering at this!

• Members

Flip the guitar over, will ya ! ? ! ?

The musical pattern will support any thoughtful; reflective theme. A lullaby is a limited audience piece. You're not going to play it in a bar very often. (irish bars not withstanding).

Maybe fixate on a specific character. Pick a historic character; or somebody in the news; or somebody behind the news. Sometimes the juxtaposition of a quiet melody about the life of a tumultuous character can be poignant.

• Members

I'm not hearing this as a lullaby....not exactly anyway.

Maybe it's a song about a restful stop on a long journey....either figuratively or metaphorically.

Maybe get some grit into the verses....some sort of relatively harsh reality that is introduced through verse or instrumentation and then sets us up for that beautiful soft refrain.

• Moderators

Good stuff guys, thank you. Leonard, I don't think a lullaby either I guess. The chorus itself was always one. but the song in its entirety really can be about anything.

Marshal, this is really good stuff:

Maybe fixate on a specific character. Pick a historic character; or somebody in the news; or somebody behind the news. Sometimes the juxtaposition of a quiet melody about the life of a tumultuous character can be poignant.

It might be a reach for my wordsmith skills but something to consider at least. I like it a lot.

• Members

How come so many left-handed people own Macs?

:D;):D

[i'm referring to the odd and oddly amusing fact that Macs default to shooting webcam snapshots and vids in mirror image, of course.]

Sounds like a lullaby to me. (That said... I'm not sure my dreams are always such a wonderful place... and those times when things do get really nice in my dreams usually leaving me feeling more than a little bittersweet in the morning... And, in fact, I wrote a song about that, which I already dragged through this forum. ;) )

I could imagine it with a nice, minimal piano part, but I rather like the guitar. I could hear the guitar with some glock accents. (Oops, Robby's here, I better rush to say, glockenspiel... :D )

• Members

Thats really nice Lee...don't rush the lyrics and something will come to you in time...save this for just the right lyric...good job!!

Looks like you should be singing Yesterday in that video all left handed and everything;)

• Members

I think it's great, the rest of the lyrics will come to you. Go through the song as you're falling asleep and keep a notebook there by the bed. The song will write itself.

Oh GOD yeah. I wish I could somehow write or record in my half sleep state. I have songs in my head effortlessly, but of course when I wake up later, they've vanished completely.

• Members

I actually had a dream with a musical phrase that sounded mind blowing to me, but when I woke up, I couldn't remember.. And I've heard a LOT of stuff.. But from what I remember, this was different from anything I'd ever heard.. Really weird, never happened to me before. I can safely say I'd never heard anything like it in my waking time alive.. lol

I can't listen to it.. It's a big white box. Link, please, Lee? :'(

• Members

Thoughts?

I'm reading these lyrics early in the AM after a night of little sleep. That first verse has got me looking around for a place to curl up.;)

My only thought about the dreaming is........faces you've never seen, places you've never been.

I quite often wake up wondering who that was I was just with and where it was that we were....with the haunting feeling that I should know.

Maybe........faces you may have seen, places you could have been.

• Members

the lyrics are working

I like the idea of doing it with a piano, not so sure about a melodica. Honestly, I had to google what it was.

I did like the guitar fills you were doing in between the verse and chorus. It would be a shame to lose them.

I would rather see them done after the chorus though. It doesnt really feel natural to me being before, but then again that might be what you are going for

Archived