A Cappella

Stackabones

• Members

I was messing around with a song yesterday. I'd put down a quick sketch of the melody on my Flip cam and figured that I'd add chords later. When later came, I decided to record it without the chords -- just voice, a cappella.

So, now I'm wondering. What's out there that's a cappella in the rock/jazz/folk/pop/etc world? At the moment all I can recall is Joplin's Mercedes Benz, which I do in my sets though arranged as a country blues (with guitar and chords, not a cappella).

While in Wyoming, I heard someone sing John Brim/VH's Ice Cream Man at an open mic a capella. And once at a Dallas Folk Club meeting, someone stood up and did an a cappella song about a ship sinking.

Whatcha know?

• Members

Alanis Morrisette has an a cappella song on her first album. It's a creepy little affair -- in which she sings about breaking into her ex-boyfriend's house, taking a shower when he's not there, and going through his things -- but it gained quite a bit of notoriety.

I'm pretty sure Elliott Smith has done an a cappella song or two.

I'm not sure if this counts, but eccentric jazzman Moondog had an album (Moondog 2) in which his and his daughter's voices were multi-tracked so that they sound like a small choir of people singing madrigals. Some of the songs had music, but I'm pretty sure a couple of them did not (although I'd need to listen to it again to be sure).

Once I was at an open mic night and some girl subjected us to a torturously long a cappella song about "peace, love, and harmony". It was painful to endure, but 10 years later and I still can't get that chorus out of my head.

• Members

The very best a ccapella performance I've heard in the past decade is SILVER BELLS -- by the much-maligned Barry Manilow. He produced three Christmas CDs (one of them for Hallmark). I promise you, Stackabones, you will be amazed by what you hear. Manilow as a "choir" (10 or 12 voices, I'd say) performs ALL the parts -- including bass notes!

At first, it's 'straight up' and dignified, then he switches to a doo-wop jazzified bridge -- close your eyes and it's a street group gathered 'round a trash can fire pit at the end of an alley in Brooklyn, then returning to 'traditional' choir for the coda. Best example of the art form in recent years (that I have come across).

Prior to that? The best a capella performance (maybe involving additional voices) that I've 'happened upon' -- Randy Travis, with a 'Gospel' tune called "I'm Gonna Have a Little Talk" (with Jesus). Every year or so I put on that track just to see if it's as good as I remember it. And it never fails to give me goosebumps.

There is a choir of that name A CAPELLA and apart from the "Singers Unlimited" (the all-time heavyweight champions who retired the trophy in this field, I'd say) --- the recent vintage choir called A CAPELLA is (or was) a male chorus, supplemented by women on some tracks, blacks and whites in perfect harmony performing traditional hymns like IN THE GARDEN. So good they take your breath away.

Thanks for starting this thread!

Mark B of the frozen North

p.s.

It

• Members

Thanks, folks! Keep 'em coming! Of course there are bound to be tons of this in religious/church/praise 'n' worship, and I don't mind recommendations in that vein. Gregorian chant is so vast and rich. I already have a few CDs with that material, and I'm hoping that some of it returns to my parish.

I just remembered that Bobby McFerrin is one of the major proponents of this style. Probably one of the few to have a major hit doing it?

• Members

Never mind, I just listened to that Moondog album again and there's music on every track.

Mark B's post mentions doo-wop, a whole genre of a capella. "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" was a pretty big hit. And maybe I'm wrong on this one, but what about those vocal harmony groups from the 90s, like Boys II Men? I'd wager some of them ventured into a cappella territory.

The Bobby McFerrin reference reminded me of a Bjork album from a few years ago in which, supposedly, her voice is the only instrument utilized. Not necessarily a capella, but along a similar vein.

And lastly, I recently acquired a set of records called A Treasury of Gregorian Chants. It's mostly monks, but there are a number of chants sung by nuns. At first, I found it unsettling to hear female voices on a Gregorian chant, but some of those performances are profoundly beautiful.

• Members

What immediately pops to mind is this Alison Kraus tune, also from O brother where art thou. [YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

I have done a couple verses of this between songs, and many people seem to recognize it. A lot of beautiful, layered harmonies.

That whole soundtrack is great!! :)

Sweet Honey in the rock is a good gospel-esque group to check out, also. Lotsa voices working together there.

• Members

Finally put it up on soundclick. I've been using the Zoom H4n's compressor and it seems to pick up the ambient noise from my Apple. :)

Mockingbird

(or here)

A mockingbird told me

About a silver place

I had the map, for it was drawn

In the lines of my face

I asked her about

The lines in my hand

She answered with a song

That I didn't understand

Can I believe what I've heard

From the mockingbird?