Who uses the Vox AC100CPH or AC50CPH amp?

Shenaniganizer

• Members

These things are dirt cheap, so, I figured I'd come to teh good 'ol HCAF and see what you guys thought, or better yet, learn of your experience with the amp.

I'm not expecting any br00tz tones out of it, of course, but how are the cleans? Great, good, decent, meh? What of the driven tones, for hard rock? How's it work for blues? Any possibilities for jazz/funk type of shit?

Just indulge me, HCAF. INDULGE ME.

:o

• Members

They're cheap because they were so unpopular because they're not very good.

However, just using the "clean" side with some dirt pedals isn't a bad option, especially if it's REALLY cheap.

• Members

Well, I was thinking of a scenario where I'd buy a high gain tube head that doesn't have a great clean channel, and then buy the Vox, and use a footswitch to use that as a clean. :o since it's so cheap, and all.

That's hypothetical, though, it isn't my actual plan.

• Members

I'm surprised they weren't more popular. Think a lot of the problem is the wharfdale speakers they were paired with. I heard an ac50cph through a marshall 4x12 cab with old greenbacks in it, sounded absolutely huge.

Tried it a year or so later in combo form, thought it sounded harsh and indistinct.

• Members

I'm surprised they weren't more popular. Think a lot of the problem is the wharfdale speakers they were paired with. I heard an ac50cph through a marshall 4x12 cab with old greenbacks in it, sounded absolutely huge.

Tried it a year or so later in combo form, thought it sounded harsh and indistinct.

"Harsh and indistinct" is a great summary, IMO.

Of course, I also only tried it with the supplied speakers. To a certain extent, though, the speakers shouldn't "make" the amp. If you can't even get a decent sound out of just about any production speaker, then there's something wrong.

Of course, amps pair better with specific speakers, but you should still be able to get a "usable" sound. I thought it was pure dreck (I'm referring to the gain. The clean channel was just ho-hum)

• Members

What did you like about it, imgooley? Elaborate, men!
:cop:

I tend to prefer darker, looser tones, and it was dark and loose :love:

I found the overdrive to be quite Orangesque, to be honest. The cleans were like a darker version of an AC15. I liked them a lot.

However, they don't have the Vox tone, so many people looking for a larger solution to an AC30 would be disappointed.

• Members

Well, if you'd just be using it for cleans, there's better amps you can get for that amount of cash. I'm saying if you're planning on buying it new for $600 or so.

I mean, grab a classic 50 or save up a couple hundred more and a get a used bassman reissue...

however, i have heard good things about these. Search youtube a little bit, there's a few demo videos that are pretty decent.

• Members

Honestly, if the plan would be to get a highgain without a decent clean and then A/B with this amp, I think your plan is flawed.

There are PLENTY of great sounding high gain amps that also have cleans on par or better than the AC50/100cph and aren't going to cost you $600 more than one with a bad clean channel.

What highgain head were you looking at?

• Members

The AC100 is a great amp especially for $599.00. Out of the box these amps can and will sound....meh. I don't really care whether the amp is popular. That has zero influence on me. I'll play it for myself and determine whether I like or dislike. Whether you like this amp or any amp should not be left up to someone who goes to GC and sits down for 30 ... 45 minutes wanking away and then writes a review.

The first change is to remove the GT EL34b power tubes and replace with SED C winged EL34. For speakers celestion 65s are the hands down the winner. V30s and Greenbacks also sound pretty nice. The gain channel on its own can be dialed in convincingly but it still lacks a little something after these changes. The biggest improvement is to use the clean channel with a H&K Warp Factor pedal. By far its the best sounding pedal I've come across for $30 and are are a great match on the Vox AC series. The Tone Cut on the clean channel compliments the H&K as it broadens the the quality of gain. It sounds very transparent and natural. The amp gain is about 9oc. The H&K is usually set to around 9oc to 11oc. EMG 81 are a great p-up choice with this setup. Checkout the AC100 clips in my signature.

:

• 2 months later...
  • Members

. For speakers celestion 65s are the hands down the winner. V30s and Greenbacks also sound pretty nice. The gain channel on its own can be dialed in convincingly but it still lacks a little something after these changes. The biggest improvement is to use the clean channel with a
H&K Warp Factor
pedal. By far its the best sounding pedal I've come across for $30 and are are a great match on the Vox AC series. The Tone Cut on the clean channel compliments the H&K as it broadens the the quality of gain. It sounds very transparent and natural. The amp gain is about 9oc. The H&K is usually set to around 9oc to 11oc. EMG 81 are a great p-up choice with this setup. Checkout the AC100 clips in my signature.

:

Changing out the tubes, how will that change the sound ?

More Vox'y ?

More gain ?

Tighter ?

Any info welcome ;)

• Members

well last night at the heart concert the lead player was using a ac100cph amd it ssound great...hes was a hired gun not sure on his name...i also had one for 6 months and ran it through a marshall cab and it sound prettty good now the whole time i had it had a major power amp issue so i was not getting the the full idea of the amp so i imgine when i get it back its gonna kill and i have a tsl100 and i really like the vox just as much the cleans were pretty good as well. i think the trick with the drive channel is to give it gain on 12 o clock and boost it with a od pedal for a heavyier tone so u have 3 channels it sounded great i think................

• Members

not many people use them

because they are pretty bad

You're an idiot. Sorry.

It's a great sounding amp. A lot of vox purist didn't like them, because they wanted or were expecting something similar to an old ac50 or the ac30. I don't think you can really compare them that way, but should instead evaluate the amp for what it is. They really have their own sound. IMO, the cleans aren't nearly as good as the ac30, they're a little grittier and less chimey. That being said, it's still a very good voxy tone, that is super usuable. The amp excels at mid to mid/high gain tones. It has a very unique voice. With the right cab, it can sound excellent. At $600 they're a steal. I had the 50 watter. It's the only head I've owned that I actually wish I'd gone with the 100 watter instead, so I'd say go for that.

• Members

Let me put it this way...

I'd say they are the vox equivalent of the marshall dsl. Not that they sound anything alike. They don't. But more so in terms of the respective companies' history and product lines.

And I'm not a dsl fan, but I'd never say it's a bad amp or bad sounding amp. I'd just rather have a plexi, jmp, or 800. Same with the vox. I'd rather have the real deal, but at $600...

• Members

Let me put it this way...

I'd say they are the vox equivalent of the marshall dsl. Not that they sound anything alike. They don't. But more so in terms of the respective companies' history and product lines.

And I'm not a dsl fan, but I'd never say it's a bad amp or bad sounding amp. I'd just rather have a plexi, jmp, or 800. Same with the vox. I'd rather have the real deal, but at $600...

i agree but its a great amp guys for 600 and if you dial it right it sounds great i dont know why people on here are bashing it

Archived