New R&B song - "Why Love?"

elsongs

• Members

I recently got over a 3-year-long songwriting block, I dunno what happened but suddenly I found myself writing not one but two complete songs a few weeks ago.

Lyrically, it's one of my many songs of unrequited lurve.

Here's the first of them, appreciate any feedback. This is just a rough demo recording; all the tracks were done by me (though the congas were "sampled" from another song I did from my percussionist's tracks) and only the bass and keyboard tracks are more or less the final ones; all the other tracks would be improved and replaced.

Here's the song:

http://www.elsongs.com/mp3/test_track/WhyLoveDemo.mp3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

This is cool. You've got the nice sounding backups taking the hook in the chorus. Very cool. I do think though, that a song like this depends on the interesting chordal work going on behind the lead vocal in the verses. And I can't hear it.

The kink of verse tends to be simple as the chords and bass rub against the basic melody. I think that's what you're doing but I don't know. I'd turn up your counter lines and stuff that twist the harmonic tone of the song.

I think it's in there but I can't hear it.

An I think your lead vocal needs to come down. Especially when you start improving. It sounds good, just too loud against the support.

Cool work.

• Members

I didn't hear the word stupidest in there...Fool wasn't in there either...Love...that was in there...been used before...you can't do that!!!...Its been done before...Michael Jackson sound to your song...Now I would like your opinion...Is it ok to use love but not fool in a song? What do you say?

Ok...all hostility aside the song was good but a bit dated...MJ influence all over it but I assume the crowd you play to is into that stuff so I'm sure it will go over well...good job!!

Archived