'Listen'

• Members

I was out on the back porch with Stella last week for some recreational picking when someone across the way started playing the sax. It was drifting anonymously across the treeline.......good playing, too.

I caught up to him with Stella and then went back in and switched Stella out for the SG and the Pro Jr.

We jammed for thirty minutes or so. I could tell he was listening to me as intently as I was to him

This tune was born of that interlude.

Tracks are rough.......lots of room left for other instruments including, dare I say it.....a sax.

I'm a bit concerned about the lack of diversity in the lyrics as well as the fact that for some strange reason I found myself singing a Lennon/McCartney tune during the interlude.

Listen (Demo)

Listen

Tell me what you hear

When you listen

Does it all come clear

Out in the distance someone is calling

So listen

Is it coming from the light

Or somewhere inside

What are we missing and why are we stalling

instr.

interlude

Listen

Do you want to know a secret

I can tell

That you are listening

Come closer

Let me whisper in your ear

Another secret

I've been listening too

Listen

Tell me what you hear

Hold out your hand

Someone is falling

instr. (long one........Take it, Kenny G):facepalm:

Listen

What do you hear

When you listen

Has it all come clear

Out in the distance a brother is calling

Listen

Come in to the light

It'll be alright

Nothing is missing

All we have to do is listen

• Members

Spontaneous jams can be wonderful things, and all too rare. Must've been a memorable half-hour :)

I'll listen to the recording later. There's nothing wrong with simple, repetitive lyrics, if they "work" with the arrangement.

• Members

This a great line.

Nothing is missing

All we have to do is listen

I like the rotating between condensed vocals and more open. The music feels a bit free-form, but I think that is your style as I've noticed that before. I'd definitely like to hear it with some more layering, I think a sax could sound nice.

I'm not sure that the song can hold the attention of casual listeners as it stands now, but your songs rarely seem designed for that purpose.

• Members

I'm a bit concerned about the lack of diversity in the lyrics as well as the fact that for some strange reason I found myself singing a Lennon/McCartney tune during the interlude.

I agree about the diversity. You should have a better balance of Latinate & Anglo-Saxon words in this, perhaps some Creole and pidgin as well as Southern regionalisms. :poke: It's just fine imo. Please don't run to your thesaurus to find alternatives to listen.

Love the interlude. Very clever and apt.

• Members

Thanks, thanks, thanks....and thanks.

Guess it must be time for further instrumentation. I sent it off to a chap from London......Nick The Sax......for a possible collaboration.

Appreciate the listens. Any brainstorms concerning instrumentation will be well received.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, . . . , WOW.

Loved the song. The instrumentation got too busy for me. It was all fighting each other at places. I would like more clear give-and-take between instruments instead of competition. But maybe that's what you were trying to achieve. But it was a little annoying and made it a little "hard to listen." ;) ;) ;)

With that in mind the instrumental was long and not focused. But still, the song is very engaging overall. I enjoyed much of it IMMENSELY. (loved the birds tweeting at the end).

• Members

I kind of like the jamlike struggle for ear time, actually.

This tune sounds very unique to me. I like how you wove "Do you want to hear a secret" in it. I think the only thing I'd like is a very tasteful drum track to keep it all together.

• Moderators

I finally figured out who it is you remind me of a bit, Leo. Van Morrison. I don't really know the connection but you've got that Astral Weeks thing happening.

Time to meet a drummer! You play this cool rhythm groove at and just before 2:30. I'd love to hear you grooving that with a drummer live. Your stuff would sound great with a simple 2 mic drum setup. If you decide you ever want to go there, I can advise...

Love the lo-fi L & M thing. Cool. Misty water colored memories... :)

• Members

Great compressed vocals in the middle.

The tone of the lead guitar and sax blends nicely.

I agree that the song is a bit busier than it needs to be. Sometimes you end up with musical bliss (like from 0:47-0:53) other times it sounds scattered and disorganized, like a jam session where the artists are all trying to figure out their respective parts.

• Members

Well, now.......wonderful comments and very helpful. I'll be engaging in another re-mix tonight with all of this in mind. Sometimes a tune gets a second chance after such excellent critiques and I thank you all for that.

The magic of the mysterious back porch interlude is what gave this song its life and I'm still working with that feeling. I'm so grateful to have received the gift of that sax track.

I do love the little L/M EQ'd vox thing myself. As a songwriting thing, that came on out of left field as I was tracking the vocals that I had....was a little nervous about such a blatant steal.

Ah, the drums.......I feel drums coming into my music, but they need to be right there with me when the song is coming into form. My exercize with Thrustin was eye opening to me and made me realize that real drums need to be right there with me to get into the groove that is being born. Funny thing about that....I have another tune that is a bit more....fun...that I'll be asking for comments on soon and I just had to get out the old Ensoniq and fake in some percussion to make this one work. I'll take my abuse like a man when it comes.

• Members

i listened to this (no pun intended) a while back, and stepped away from it

the complexity of the various instruments weaving their lines is very, very good ... i also love the vocals and the echoes of vocals, and the echoes of other songs ...

i just wanted to make sure this was as excellent a song as i thought it was

and it is

• Members

You'll never know how much I really love you.

You'll never know how much I really care.

Listen,

Do you want to know a secret?,

Do you promise not to tell?, whoa oh, oh.

Closer,

Let me whisper in your ear,

Say the words you long to hear,

I'm in love with you.

Listen,

Closer,

I'm in love with you.

I've known the secret for a week or two,

Nobody knows, just we two.

Listen,

Closer,

I'm in love with you.

Archived