marshall 1959 slp mains selector

iracemx199

• Members

thanks dude. now i can turn this thing on!!! just out of curiosity what would happen if it wasn't set to the correct voltage??

If you've never had a tube amp before two words of advice take it as Gospel......

#1. Always turn "Power" switch on first and with

amp in "Standby" mode and let the tubes warm

up a few minutes.:thu:

#2. VERY IMPORTANT.....NEVER, repeat NEVER turn on

or run amp without a speaker load connected,

you will fry your Output Transformer.:cop:

The voice of reason has spoken.:snax: Now for the obvious, make sure Head & Cab ohms are matched.

• Members

thanks. also, is it true that if I take out the two outer tubes I can make this amp a 50 watt?

I wouldn't recommend that for two reasons......#1 if you have a 100 watt and you pull either the two most outer or two most inner power tubes, your impedance is cut in half, if you had a 16 ohm cab it's now 8 ohms, in 35 years of amps i've never done this and don't recommend it, your amp is engineered to preform a specific way.

Reason #2. The decible level [percieved loudness] will only be reduced roughly 2 decilbles at best, for 120 decible amp the human ear can't tell the difference.:thu:

• Members

ohh. okay. if i were to get a tubescreamer or similar overdrive pedal, that would allow me to get more distorted sounds at a lower volume right? I know an attenuater would probably be best to do this but I dont have the money to buy a good one.

• Members

ohh. okay. if i were to get a tubescreamer or similar overdrive pedal, that would allow me to get more distorted sounds at a lower volume right? I know an attenuater would probably be best to do this but I dont have the money to buy a good one.

A foot pedal as a boost works well, on the pedal set the drive or "gain" at one third and open the level or volume all the way.

Thats for a boost, personally i recommend a Fulltone OCD, it's not diode clipping and very transparent, 100% bypass, when not in use, and cleans up nicely when you roll back the volume on the guitar,

Other pedals are usually all the way on or all the way off.

OCD's go for $169 new, there's an OCD knock-off pedal by Danoelectro called the "cool cat" overdrive, don't know how much, but now days most pedals start at $100 bucks.

As far as your amp & pedal goes tinker & set it how you like.:thu:

• Members
  • Members

alright thanks for all your help
:thu:

No problem, if you take care of your Marshall it should outlast you!:snax:

Also whenever your change or need new Power tubes, which if you play 2 to 3 hours a day everyday for a year [or so], you need to take your amp to a tech or shop and have it "biased" for optimal preformance, usually about $50 bucks, don't skip that for sure.:idea:

• Members
I just read something that said that you can lower the ohm setting on the head to get a lower power output. for example, setting the head at 8 ohms and going into a 16 ohm cabinet. is this okay to do??

Nope, error, wrong-O, 4 & 4, 8 & 8, 16 & 16, thats what you want, and take info on the net with a grain of salt [lightly].:idea:

• Members

haha. okay thanks. one more question. when I buy a new cabinet to use with this head. can i use a cabinet rated at 100 watts. I was looking at a 100 watt cabinet on musiciansfriend and in the description they suggest using an attenuator if used with a 100 watt head.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-1960X-100W-4x12-Guitar-Extension-Cabinet?sku=605012

• Members

haha. okay thanks. one more question. when I buy a new cabinet to use with this head. can i use a cabinet rated at 100 watts. I was looking at a 100 watt cabinet on musiciansfriend and in the description they suggest using an attenuator if used with a 100 watt head.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-1960X-100W-4x12-Guitar-Extension-Cabinet?sku=605012

Dude, JACKPOT!!!!!! Thats the one you want, G12M 25 watt celestions are the sound that built rock n roll, that and the 1959 Super Lead, i have a 78' JMP & 78' cab with G12M 25 watt "Blackbacks" same as greenback just the color of plastic cover is different, greenback, creamback, & blackback all the same.

Now the G12H is a bass speaker rated at 30 watts, Hendrix switched to these cause he kept blowing 20 watt & 25 watt, but he did all kinds of crazy {censored}.

The cab you showed was made for your head, just don't crank it past 8 on both volumes and you should be fine.

000_0007-3.jpg

Archived