Just spent the last few hours recording another newie!

• Members

I don't really get the sense that the individual is jealous. Maybe obsessed. No make that definitely obsessed! But you managed to communicate his romantic fixation quite elegantly so that you're not creeped-out by it but sympathetic to his heartache. Another good job mate!

Cheers,

D

• Members

This sounds great (as usual, you bastid! :D )... but I did notice one or two Say what? lyrical bits: "... like the winter misses the snow..." Huh? And I'm not really so sure about the will I see you when the sun goes down thing, either, actually. Also, the pillow that your perfume disdained...? If her perfume disdained it... I'm presuming that would mean it didn't stick to it... it's a bit of a self-defeating image.

But the delivery and music really works very nicely. It wouldn't be the first song that folks liked that didn't make a lot of literal sense... that said, you're better than that, I think. No sense in settling for lyrics that don't quite work just because they fit when you've got the pop music intelligence you've often shown.

• Members

ahhh yesh but to me these all make sense... explaining lyrics is a funny thing

but the winter surely likes to have snow... and in england its a rarity hence the girl is missed to a man like the snow is missed by the winter

as the lights come on in this town ,will i see you when the sun goes down........ basically it is now morning...the girl has to leave...but maybe she will return in the evening

for me...these all make sense

and the other line is "ive been sleeping on the pillow that your perfume DID stain"

Hopefully that also now makes sense.

I did admit to being slightly insane so bare with

x

• Members

I actually was thinking about how the British Isles don't get much snow as I weighed that -- so it's not like I didn't consider the angle -- but I'll defer to your thinking on that.

On the lights/sun thing, I guess I was being too mechanistic... drawing connections between visibility and available light... been shooting a lot of pictures this week. :D

On the did stain thing... I guess that is why I almost never give lyric feedback when the lyrics aren't posted. :facepalm: Maybe I should remind myself of my own operating precepts more often... ;)

• Members

Hey Blue? A great big friendly welcome, please read the rules at the top before you post. I don't see much hrm... Rhymes with "busshy?" anymore but I can still write about it? It's locked away somewhere in the inner memory.

You're always cracking me up... but I never actually seem to get the joke... ;)

Where I come from, HRM is human resources management... but I'm thinking you've got some other line on that acronym...

• Members

The song and performance are tight. The recording sounds like it may need a tad bit of work. Just a bit though - the vocal has a bleedy static thing going on in bits. I don't know squat about recording, but I really dig the way you have the vocals up front.

But right on - I really like your style. Your voice sounds a bit like Badly Drawn Boy (maybe that's just the accent...) and your delivery is kind of similar to Wayne Coyne of the Flaming Lips. Not so much the tone and register of your voice. But your phrasing and the way you use it.

Have you ever taken singing lessons? You have a beautiful voice that could probably shine with some polishing. I sense just the tiniest bit of strain in some of the higher parts. Someone could teach you how to smooth that out.

But you know, you really don't need to do anything - you have an appealing natural delivery. I mention the singing lessons because if I had your writing, recording and playing skills I'd go the distance and get serious about my voice too.

But all in all the song is really quite wonderful and the arrangement is splended. Fantastic stuff.

• Members

Hey man

No ive never had singing lessons....and to be really honest dont consider myself a singer as such..... i guess lessons would help but at the same time people seem to like the kind of unpolished quality to it and i do worry that if i had lessons it may just become another voice without any charm

it terms of the recording - what is a bleedy static thing? ha

• Members

I don't know what a bleedy static thing is either, to tell you the truth. I was trying to remember that word for what happens when - I can't remember - but I used to work at a radio station in college. when the needle on that gauge that monitors your voice level pushes into the red? You know what I'm talking about? That's what it sounded a bit like to me - just a bit though.

And on the voice - I totally hear you. I've just been thinking about taking singing lessons lately after years of lackluster self training. The biggest barrier is here in the states a proper teacher may run you like $100 bucks an hour. So it's expensive.

I was also worried about losing the "charm" of my untrained voice too, actually, but I read that a lot of novice singers feel that way about vocal training. From what I understand about singing, most people without training are actually singing in an artificial voice because we tend to rely on our throats to shape and project our voices, which is like the worst thing you can do. It can do serious damage over time and seriously restricts your range. Teachers train you to sing in your natural voice, which is an interesting concept. It's all about keeping your throat open and relaxed and drawing on your diaphram for power, which you need someone to show you how to do, apparently, because I can't figure out how to do it on my own.

Archived