Our sound is getting heavier

lp_junkie

• Members

We wrote this song for the album and it was pretty heavy but in rehearsal it just gets heavier, it's about the decay of modern society.

Right now Gos is sinused up so his vocals are a little shaky sometimes but we recorded some sessions this week and the music rocks, not bad for a 3 pc.

Check this out Blast It All, from this Tuesday.

• Members

Introducing the HCSWF Robo-Greeter Beta...

f6yqpfoX0E4

Text version:

First a big, friendly cut-n-paste welcome to the Songwriting Forum!

The basic mission of the forum is the discussion of the art and craft of songwriting and offering assistance with feedback and constructive criticism on works in progress. Of course, giving thoughtful comment requires some time and energy. You'll probably want to look at the Rules and Resources sticky thread for guidelines on getting the most out of the forum.

Like so much in life -- what you get out of it will likely depend on what you put in...

I hope you'll share your insight with others when they're looking for critiques -- it's a great way to let people get to know you. And the more that people know you as someone who is willing to help out, the more eager they'll be to help you when you're looking for some good ol' constructive crit.

:)

blue2blue

moderator, songwriting forum

SW Forum Guidelines and Resources

• Members

Cool. I don't know if it's my computer or if there is dead air for the first 30 seconds or so.

Would love it if you could post the lyrics, too. Had a hard time hearing them. Maybe it's time to buy new speakers for this thing...

• Members

Where do I get a robo greeter?

I have been reading threads this morning, lot of cool songs and ideas here.

www.Xtranormal.com

I can't help myself. I love that thing. (The Xtranormal robo-animation utility, that is.) For a while I was using it for all kinds of stuff, including several word rejoinders in message boards.

It's pretty easy... at the simplest, all you have to do is type in what you want the animation to say.

FXfMgFzijYU

Here's one I did with a little help from the Bard of Avon:

jzFYo4fz9iI

It took a little more work to get the pacing and pronunciations right. (Funny, Elizabethan English flummoxed Xtranormal's normally quite good speech engine more than a couple times.)

• Members

Cool. I don't know if it's my computer or if there is dead air for the first 30 seconds or so.

Would love it if you could post the lyrics, too. Had a hard time hearing them. Maybe it's time to buy new speakers for this thing...

If you listen really hard, you can hear it from more or less the beginning, give or take a few seconds.

Kind of a stoner rock thing going on until the vocal comes in. That's about the cleanest sounding band practice recording I've ever heard. Needs a bit of dirt. :D

I make it a point to not give extended comment on lyrics unless they're posted somewhere (especially since the last time I broke that personal rule, I really got some lyrics wrong). So I'll leave that aside.

The change-up is a bit of a mindfug... I'm assuming should you formally record the tune, the guitar would likely be filled around with other layers of guitar (as is the fashion, they tell me) and the foot-stomp jump from the thin-but-dirty fuzz to the much thinner, rubbery chorus would be less of a gear-grind. If you were to do it on stage as a 3 piece, I think I'd suggest the drummer really lay down some cover leading up to the guitar sound-switch. (If it were me, I think I might consider staying with the fuzz; but, then, I'm really not a fan of chorus on guitar, so what do I know? ;) )

I'm pretty far removed from the genres this tune seems to live in, so I'm afraid there's not much more I can contribute at this point.

• Members

The album version has a rhythm guitar part for the electric and dual lead vocals (layered) then 2 acoustic guitars, and two different lead tracks plus 3 layers of vocals on the end part, yeah it is a trip to just switch modes for the end of the song.

When we are just improv jamming we come up with all sorts of stuff from funk to Fleetwood Mac inspired things, stuff that sounds very different from typical Nero stuff.

It's a real happy song about the decay of modern civilization as I said above.

The lyrics-

Blast It All

(from the album When In Rome, to be released worldwide tentatively June 6).

© 2010 Charles Rich

I look around myself and I see

dirt, concrete, and grime

here in the city

streets are raging all the time

people beaten in the streets

suits in silicone bars

cops harrassing on the beat

"on the next edition of Monty.....

Teen tramps and biker dikes from Mars"

how much should we take?

how blind can we be?

is there no chance, for us to be free?

Blast It All!

in whom do you trust?

in this our darkest hour

freedom is the roadkill

on the road to higher power

Ooh

Yeah

(Growl)

(change to acoustic part)

(1st part)

It's my world, it's my future

And I have no choice but to give a damned

About your plastic world

I don't want to hear your excuses for abuses

Your patent manipulations and your patent lies

(guitar solo)

Don't give me no bull{censored},

no illusions,

no excuses,

no sad songs,

no regrets

For I have seen the future

And right now would be a good time

To start digging graves

For all the problems that I truly have

Your the only one that's getting worse

• Members

Thanks for posting the lyrics. It's so much easier when I can read along. It really is time to get new speakers!

Very interesting points, and something I think many people can relate to the concept here.

On a side note, the "On the next edition of Monty...teen tramps and biker dikes from Mars" reminded me of a cartoon I used to watch with the kids. Just wondering if that was some of the inspiration for the line.

http://www.bikermice.tv/

• Members

Gos (Charles) is inspired by a lot of eccentric sources so who knows where the TV show reference came from (I think it's just more about the trash/gossip/reality shows on these days), the whole album When In Rome is a concept album, basically outlining the decay of western civilization and it's parallels to the fall of Rome, which explains the band name, Nero's Opening Act.

Me I am a simple straight forward metal/rock guitarist and songwriter, so I write a lot of the music.

Some of the other songs-

Just Enough Rope

Waiting On The Gods (instrumental)

In The Beginning spoken segue to Deifiant (God vs The Devil)

Deifiant (about wanting the power of a God, but the price is your soul)

October Moon

RounGrounBrown (sex, drugs, rock n roll)

Twisted Fate/Leap of Faith (basically a suicide note)

Caligula (jam/solo)

Burn (Nero's theme)

Give It A Rest (about road rage)

Blast It All

When In Rome

We have 2 more albums in the planning stages, plus a live EP/album somewhere in between.

Archived