Ready for new tubes in the Carvin MTS 3200, needs more bottom

chaos2767

• Members

Getting ready to retube the MTS 3200 and was wondering which power and preamp tubes would be best for heavy low end. Right now it has the GT 6L6 and 12AX7. Being fairly new to the tube scene, I wanted to get some recommendations from you veterans out there.

• Members

I have the head version and I have no clue why they would stop making it, it sounds waaaaaayyyyyyy better than the X100B IMO. It is not that far off the mark on the V3 head as well, both seem to have similar gain just the V3 has a few more options and is a 3 channel head. The clean channel on this head is second to non and the reverb is probably the best I have heard that comes in a head!!! IMO this head is way under rated for the bitchen toans it can pull off!!!!

• Members

that amp is not to sensitive to power tube brands... they all kinda sound similar, stick with 6L6s though, they do give more low end definition. Also check the bias, Carvins are bias very cold from the factory.

As per as preamp tubes I really like the Mesa SPAX7 on v1-3 and a 12AT7 on the PI.

This is a real good amp for the price, the cleans are great and the drive tone is decent too. They get no love here though.

• Members

You arent kidding billy, absolutley no love!!! I think that if some of the people here played one, they would be suprised, sounds better than my spidervalve HD 100 IMO by far. I vote this head to be the most under rated lol.

• Members

that amp is not to sensitive to power tube brands... they all kinda sound similar, stick with 6L6s though, they do give more low end definition. Also
check the bias
, Carvins are bias very cold from the factory.

As per as preamp tubes I really like the Mesa SPAX7 on v1-3 and a 12AT7 on the PI.

This is a real good amp for the price, the cleans are great and the drive tone is decent too. They get no love here though.

this

they solid amps for the buck

• Members

I agree. I don't understand the hate. I bought one when they lowered the price a couple of hundred. I thought it had plenty of low end with the stock GT's. I put some Tungsol EL34's in for fun. Really nice. A lot more growl. If you just want more lows, how about an EQ in the loop? Probably cheaper than new tubes?

• Members

Yea, I am now running a MXR KFK 10 band thru it and it is sik!!! This thing has alot of punch I just might retube it with guitarbillys recommendation. The power tubes look like they are hardly glowing at all and my buddies V3, his power tubes are very bright!!!

• Members

I had a fullset of JJ tubes in mine. I absolutely LOVED that amp. It really was a great amp for the price man. Amazing cleans, great distortion. Very versatile, I thought, too. It was the only amp that I had for an extended period of time, until the cats unplugged the speaker cable and I turned it on and it got fried. My 5150 is the only thing I have liked more so far.

Anyway, I really liked the JJ's in it. I heard great clips and reviews with JJ e34l's, but I really like 6l6's, so I stuck with those.

• Members

what kind of cab are you using? Mine was boomy on 4. Try some JJ E34ls, NOT, el34s there is a difference.
:wave:

He's looking for more lows, maybe he should stay away from EL34 tubes altogether?

JJ 6l6GCs have a good low end...not too flubby.

• 10 years later...
  • Members

I just purchase one of the heads and from everything I've seen its supposed to be low end heavy but mines the opposite I have the treble at like 1 or2 andMid about 5 it's real treble was wondering about swapping for new 6L6 and if that might help tone if I do will I have to re bias head

• Moderators

new tubes will likely make a huge difference, especially if the existing tubes have been in the amp for years and years [this thread started over ten years ago, and those amps were already discontinues then, so...], in fact, typically, when I buy a used amp [and sometimes even brand new amps because many come with crappy tubes], I just re-tube the whole set, pre's and power. Why not make sure the amp is running at it's best? I'm not certain about the biasing on that particular amp, but I would suggest having it done, unless you are qualified to bias it yourself.

Archived