chorus chord progression?

davie

• Moderators

I have a question about chord progression within a song.

I know there's a lot of songs with choruses that have a 4 chord in 4 bars kinda motif.

While there's a fair amount of songs with prechoruses that have 2 chords in 2 bars repeated a few times right before the chorus.

But what do you think of a 2 chords in 2 bars repeated CHORUS? while the other parts of the song (verse, bridge) have 4 or more chords?

Are there any song examples of this? And what kinda effect would this have on the feel of the song?

• Members

Hey, Davie

I'm not absolutely sure I understand precisely what you're getting at... when you say 2 chords in 2 bars, are you referring just to the part of a given chorus that repeats within that chous? (I'm guessing. Otherwise, mighty short chorus. :D )

With regard to your question about feel -- there's one real good way to at least partially answer that question -- try it out. For that matter, try it out a number of ways, because, for sure, every context is a little bit different.

:)

• Moderators

Hey, Davie

I'm not absolutely sure I understand precisely what you're getting at... when you say 2 chords in 2 bars, are you referring just to the part of a given chorus that repeats within that chous? (I'm guessing. Otherwise, mighty short chorus.
:D
)

With regard to your question about feel
-- there's one real good way to at least
partially
answer that question
-- try it out. For that matter, try it out a number of ways, because, for sure, every context is a little bit different.

:)

hehe, sorry bout that, i should clarify

an example of a 4 chord chorus would be something like Glycerine by Bush (F C Dm A#)

an example of a 2 chord prechorus would be something like.. Californication by Red Hot Chili Peppers (Am Fmaj7)

I wanna know what u think of a song that does a 2 chord repeated thing for the chorus. and some examples if possible. :)

• Members

There are many examples of songs that use only two chords (or even one chord) the entire way through. A couple two chorders off the top of my head.

Born in the USA - Bruce

Sons and Daughters - The Decemberists

Songwriting has no rules unless you choose to impose them on yourself.

• Members

There are many examples of songs that use only two chords (or even one chord) the entire way through. A couple two chorders off the top of my head.

Born in the USA - Bruce

Sons and Daughters - The Decemberists

Songwriting has no rules unless you choose to impose them on yourself.

A one chorder off the top of my head: "Hit the Road Jack" - Ray Charles

("A minor" all the way through, basically.)

Archived