First new track in ages

• Members

It's called "I think I love you". It was written by my wife's uncle, Jorge Medina. He is around 60. He was born in Mexico and is a very talented guitarist singer songwriter. He's also a kind, wonderful person! I performed and recorded all parts. 3 piece stand up drum kit, fretless peavey bass, peavey T-60 guitar leads through an ampeg guitar amp, wurlitzer electric piano through the same ampeg amp, keyboard organ, 3 vocals. Recorded on my fostex VF160EX and mixed and edited on my computer using audacity.

As always looking to share and get reviews. Reviews on performance, mix, anything that gets your attention good or bad. :)

http://www.bandmix.com/neanderpaul/

• Members

I like everything about the mix with the exception of the snare. The vocals are strong, good harmonies and the lead blends well with everything else. Good bassline that is present without overpowering.

But the snare sounds like you are banging on a childs toy comparative to the polished sound the rest has.

• Members

Nice Santana-ish guitar tone. Vocals sound very nice. Good production and singing there. The bass sounds good too...every now and then the higher notes jump out a bit more than I would like them to...maybe a tad more compression would help with that?

The main thing you need to revisit is the way the kit is mixed. That ride is crisp and detailed (and a bit too present for my taste...maybe just because it's panned a bit too hard), but the rest of the kit sounds like you threw a packing blanket over it...somehow the blanket covered the whole kit except for the ride. :) You can still hear the snare, but it sounds bad. The rest of the kit is just buried (at least on my headphones...I'm not getting much of a kick at all...just a very dull thud).

The other thing I would consider changing is the reverb on the guitar. Maybe you just need to back off the reverb a little, but something about that reverb just didn't sit right with me. You might even consider getting rid of the reverb and trying some delay instead. See what that sounds like and go with your gut.

I like the song overall. The unison vocals around 2:00 were cool. The lyrics seemed to be pretty basic overall...nothing to write home about there, but there are others on this forum that are much better lyric writers/analysts than me.

In summary, fix the drums and this will sound like a whole new song. Nice job overall.

• Members

I like everything about the mix with the exception of the snare. The vocals are strong, good harmonies and the lead blends well with everything else. Good bassline that is present without overpowering.

But the snare sounds like you are banging on a childs toy comparative to the polished sound the rest has.

I uploaded the snare edited version.

• Members

Nice Santana-ish guitar tone. Vocals sound very nice. Good production and singing there. The bass sounds good too...every now and then the higher notes jump out a bit more than I would like them to...maybe a tad more compression would help with that?

The main thing you need to revisit is the way the kit is mixed. That ride is crisp and detailed (and a bit too present for my taste...maybe just because it's panned a bit too hard), but the rest of the kit sounds like you threw a packing blanket over it...somehow the blanket covered the whole kit except for the ride.
:)
You can still hear the snare, but it sounds bad. The rest of the kit is just buried (at least on my headphones...I'm not getting much of a kick at all...just a very dull thud).

The other thing I would consider changing is the reverb on the guitar. Maybe you just need to back off the reverb a little, but something about that reverb just didn't sit right with me. You might even consider getting rid of the reverb and trying some delay instead. See what that sounds like and go with your gut.

I like the song overall. The unison vocals around 2:00 were cool. The lyrics seemed to be pretty basic overall...nothing to write home about there, but there are others on this forum that are much better lyric writers/analysts than me.

In summary, fix the drums and this will sound like a whole new song. Nice job overall.

Great! Thanks for the thorough review! I used the amps reverb (cranked yes) I happen to hate delay and chorus so I'll have to forgo a change to the guitar. I may try to work with the drums. Thanks again!

• Members

I still think the percussion has a slight "amatuerish" feel that contrasts the polish of the rest of the mix. With the snare toned down a bit it made the other issues speierg mentioned more apparent. I wish I had some great ideas, but I have zero experience mixing percussion.

Oh, you didn't ask for feedback on anything else, but I stuck around and listened to "You Best Believe Me". That is a fine song, I like everything about it.

You've got some great Alice in Chains influence on "Nothing But Wrong" (which is always a good thing, as far as I am concerned.

Listening to the other songs, I am impressed with your diversity.

EDIT: Damn, you really are all over the place. "Let It Go" is popish in a way that all the others aren't and you make it work well. The drums in this one sound much better, are you playing a completely different kit?

• Members

Oswlek, I cannot argue with the "amatuerish" feel comment on the drums. I totally agree. The drums are the hardest to capture. They are also my last instrument I picked up. I've been playing them often for less than a year. rarely before that. Vox are my first instrument, bass, guitar, piano, and then drums last. I've got a way to go on drums. Plus my kit is bottom of the barrel. A $260 complete kit shipped NEW!! Kick, snare, 2 toms, floor tom, high hat, cymbal, so it's really cheap. I only use the kick and snare from that kit. I got a paiste cymbal though.

Thanks for listening more! I really was going for pure pop on "let it go" The drummer on that song was 18 at the time. We have been playing since he was 13. He is a force to be reckoned with and does NOT have the ego to match! That was recorded in a "real studio" with a high dollar kit and high dollar system.

Since you bring it up diversity is one of my claims to fame. And there is WAY more.

You heard traditional latin rock with "I think I love you"

Soft chill whatever it is with "you best believe me." (I wrote that 16 years ago)

Nothing but wrong is hard 70's style rock. Most people say Ozzy. I've never heard the Alice in Chains comparison. I've loved them since they emerged. Used to cover some AIC. Here is the "nothing but wrong" video!!

What I call pure pop with "Let it go"

But there is way more diversity.

What I call freaky spoken word.... "I'm gonna get you"

Straight R&B "Walking alone" BUT it's live looping!

A Capella do-wop... "the situation" again live looping... WHILE DRIVING!

Funk Rock instrumental "this seems to be working" live looping IN THE BED OF MY 74 RANCHERO WHILE RIDING ON HEELIES!

Change never ends for me. I draw the line with real jazz and blue grass because I dont have the musicianship. And I dont play reggae or ska. Because it bores me.

Shoot, I even do A Capella county live looping. Who has even ever heard of that?

Thanks again for listening to my other tracks!

• Members

Enjoyed the song and the arrangement.:thu:

Just remember that when you ask for opinions your going to get them,

I use to do the same thing.

I would spend hour upon hours remixing, trying to make everyone happy.

Now I listen to what people say, then I just make myself happy and go with the mix that I like. :)

• Members

I appreciate that Okie Bob. I actually do that already. I had decided I would lower the snare and raise a harmony phrase before anyone suggested the snare be lowered. I'll be 40 in January. I'm pretty self assured. 8^) I won't be able to improve on the drum sound. I will try to tune my kit before I record next time though!

• Members

yeah man ... i loved the feel to this ...

i was thinking, maybe just a tad (a tad) more laid back ... more groovy, like you're stoned?

stay with me: the lyrics are a bit too earnest, but a "{censored} you" delivery could really give it bite ... i mean it, but i don't want to mean it, but i meant it

damn it

i don't comment on performance other than singing... anybody can hire studio monkeys and play "Sugar Sugar" note by note ... but that's not what songwriting is about

your sound is awesome to me

Archived