How original are you?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I started writing a few years ago. I figured I had accumulated enough musical knowledge to enable me to write something decent, even if not earth shattering. Everything I know comes from someone else's songs and maybe a few blues scales, so although it may be original, it's somewhat familiar and predictable. And the reviews will confirm that :thu:

• Members

I will ALWAYS be me, BUT within the framework of the hit selling formula.... IF I want to SELL anything. Outside the sales formula, I'll do whatever I darn well please... but I will NEVER EXPECT TO SELL ANY OF IT. It's an important but simple distiction.

Even within the formula, the sky is the limit for originality

• Members

Within a historical perspective, one can observe that the the current state of things is not how they always were and by extension, will most certainly not remain that way.

One can also observe that far, far more musical experimentation and cross-cultural exchange have occurred in the past 50 years than in the entirety of human history before that. Despite this, nothing has even come close to supplanting pop music in terms of universal appeal. By extension, it seems highly unlikely that some previously unknown form of music will spontaneously be invented within the next say, 100 years, that will be more popular than pop music.

• Members

By extension, it seems highly unlikely that some previously unknown form of music will spontaneously be invented within the next say, 100 years, that will be more popular than pop music.

pop music is by definition what is popular

• Members

I host a radio show called "The Original 70's Soundtrack" does that count?

Oddly enough, our PD at the time named the show, but I am not aware of any other show called 70's Soundtrack that would make the word "original" necessary. We've had it so long now that it is its own goof. Like the Spinal Tap band naming joke.
The Originals vs the New Originals....

• Members

By extension, it seems highly unlikely that some previously unknown form of music will spontaneously be invented within the next say, 100 years, that will be more popular than pop music.

You're missing the point. Rhino55 got it perfectly. Pop music is by definition whatever the popular music of the day is.

• Members

Yes, we're married now with 3 kids - one called Rat and two called Ta-tat.

It took me a second. Well . . . a minute, maybe (I'm slow, you know). Then I thought about the actual, opening words of the song,

"Chanson . . . . D'Amourrrrrrrrr . . . rat attat, attat."

You're either real old (like me) or a 'young soul' with an encyclopedic knowledge of music; either way, I salute you, monsieur Canard.

• Members

I guess we are all pretty original if you look at our DNA,

so just being yourself make you a little original.

Outside influences effect us all beginning at birth.

There is only so many word in the English Language

and so many musical notes to work with.

I feel its how you weave them through the rhythms

and melody of the song that makes them different from others.

Then factor in your delivery.

Archived