How original are you?

• Members
I can honestly say that my most current work, does not remind me of anything I have ever heard before, and that none of my conscious influences are showing evidently through. For what it's worth...

Got a link to any of that?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think my concept of originality is different than what you guys are talking about...

No one is just like...

Blue2blue
E Funk
Lee night
E Graves

And on and on..each has their own originality and experiences that are different than anybody else on earth...JMO.

• Members

Not yet. I cant afford the duplication or upload to Tunecore just yet. I need a job first lolololol before such shenanigans can commence...

You might try a little test marketing by a promotional giveaway of mp3s on something like ReverbNation or Bandcamp, where you can also sell your tunes without any startup costs. Also, you can sell through Amazon easily, as well. Really, among major online stores, iTunes is the main headache, creating submission requirements so onerous that services like Tunecore popped up just to handle getting the submission and get all the materials ready for iTunes and then administering the revenues, if any.

The reason I suggest taking some efforts to find out if anyone will be interested in buying is because, when I was first getting serious about putting my music up on the web in the late 90s, I'd assumed that my most 'salable' music was this deep space ambient stuff I'd done with a pal that was a big fave among our circle of friends -- and not my own post modern pop, which my 3DW friends largely turned their noses up at. But, when I put things up, low and behold, it was the weird pop that proved most popular. (Lesson: your friends are only one slice of people and they may well not represent everyone, or even who you'd like them to.)

• Members
I think my concept of originality is different than what you guys are talking about...

No one is just like...

Blue2blue

E Funk

Lee night

E Graves

And on and on..each has their own originality and experiences that are different than anybody else on earth...JMO.

Thank God. :facepalm:

EG

• Members

You might try a little test marketing by a promotional giveaway of mp3s on something like ReverbNation or Bandcamp, where you can also
sell
your tunes without any startup costs. Also, you can sell through Amazon easily, as well. Really, among major online stores, iTunes is the main headache, creating submission requirements so onerous that services like Tunecore popped up just to handle getting the submission and get all the materials ready for iTunes and then administering the revenues, if any.

The reason I suggest taking some efforts to find out if anyone will be interested in buying is because, when I was first getting serious about putting my music up on the web in the late 90s, I'd assumed that my most 'salable' music was this deep space ambient stuff I'd done with a pal that was a big fave among our circle of friends -- and not my own post modern pop, which my 3DW friends largely turned their noses up at. But, when I put things up, low and behold, it was the weird pop that proved most popular. (Lesson: your friends are only one slice of people and they may well not represent everyone, or even who you'd like them to.)

I also need to register the copyright before I send anything away, and thanks for the tip: I didn't know such things were possible, I'll have to check that out more closely in my surfing adventures. I also have to convert to MP3 before anything is gone, {censored} I haven't even decided or created my cover art work yet, but the music part of it is tracked and mastered to my satisfaction. It all hinges on some bank...and of course a bit more time...looking for work has been eating me alive lately...

• Members

How original am I???? Well, I'm the only me there has ever been. THAT'S pretty original.

Oh, my music? How original is that? Probably not very. Every song that I have ever loved probably finds its way into the music I create in one way or another...whether it's tones, chord progressions, melodies, feel, vibe even lyrical ideas. But in a very true sense, we all create out of the collective pool of experiences that are uniquely ours. So, I guess, in that sense, there is still some originality. I'm just never going to be accused of breaking radically new musical ground.

• Members

I think it's not just possible, but very likely. Within the fringes of Modern and Contemporary classical and avant-garde/experimental music lies some of the most fertile ground for musical innovation that exists. That and and a lot of non-Western stuff. There are people taking this "difficult" music and turning it into something resembling popularly accessible music.

Actually, there are some artist who are very close to that even now.

I would love to hear an example. It's just really hard to believe that something so radically different could possibly have the universal appeal of a catchy, 3 minute, ABABC... pop song. It's hard to believe not because I can't conceive of it (which I must say I can't), but because so many innovative things have already been tried.

• Members
I also need to register the copyright before I send anything away, and thanks for the tip: I didn't know such things were possible, I'll have to check that out more closely in my surfing adventures. I also have to convert to MP3 before anything is gone, {censored} I haven't even decided or created my cover art work yet, but the music part of it is tracked and mastered to my satisfaction. It all hinges on some bank...and of course a bit more time...looking for work has been eating me alive lately...

Well... my advice is test the waters before you part with a big slice of that bank, since it can be done for next to nothing. (And using TuneCore or ReverbNation or others with store-placement services is not particularly expensive, to be sure, unless you go nuts trying to make sure it's in every single international iTunes store -- since you tend to get charged for each one, as they must be dealt with separately, and, as noted, Apple goes out of their way to make it a TPITA.) I think you should be able to get good coverage in the US, Europe, UK and Japan for maybe $35-$60 or so. (Yearly maintenance charges can vary; TuneCore's charges are more up front. RN makes you pay yearly but is a little cheaper up front. TuneCore offers periodic deals.)

• Members

Well... my advice is test the waters
before
you part with a big slice of that bank, since it can be done for next to nothing. (And using TuneCore or ReverbNation or others with store-placement services is not particularly expensive, to be sure, unless you go nuts trying to make sure it's in every single international iTunes store -- since you tend to get charged for each one, as they must be dealt with separately, and, as noted, Apple goes out of their way to make it a TPITA.) I think you should be able to get good coverage in the US, Europe, UK and Japan for maybe $35-$60 or so. (Yearly maintenance charges can vary; TuneCore's charges are more up front. RN makes you pay yearly but is a little cheaper up front. TuneCore offers periodic deals.)

Yeah, the $250.00 or so to register a copywrite and upload to Tunecore {which I have already used before} is no big deal. I'm not planning on giving anything away, there is no reason to, this {censored}'s a quantum leap and then some since my last release and I'm damn close to considering that the album I'm working on now, might just upload at the same time. Putting two albums online at once isn't exactly what I had in mind, when I started the first one, but the timing of when I get my next job may definetly have something to do with it. I'm about 50% of the way through my {3rd}next album and If I can keep the work ethic going without getting bored or stupid about what I'm trying to do, It might just be a twofer the public @ large gets instead of a single album release. I barely even care If it's total loss and I recover nothing: it just needs to be out there as a matter of conscious. A small price to pay indeed for the oppurtunity to speak my mind and express myself.

That's about 2-3 days pay after taxes when I get what I'm worth...

• Members

I'm not planning on giving anything away, there is no reason to

just curious, how many albums did you sell the last time around?

how many do you plan to sell this time?

i realize that making money may not be that important to you, but if so, giving stuff away may help grow your audience in a way selling music just doesn't do it any more. that's just not what the game is. i.e. http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2010/06/03/the-long-haul/

i can't find a site for your stuff, would love to take a look

• Members

I had my first Ahhhhem, record, if you will up on Itunes,etc...etc... for a year, I moved 20-25 copies including CD's, but this was all stuff I did in analog, on a portastudio, mostly some outtakes and stuff that I just needed to get finished cuz there were some cool ideas in it. Just stuff I had been working on between clients in the studio for years, off and on, that was taking up to much of my personal space, and I needed to purge it. It was never really designed for mass distribution, but I decided to release it anyway just to get it out of my system. I didn't renew it, and it only stayed up for a year. The current album I have finished, ready for duplication and distribution is all done in the digital domain and is a serious work, both compositionally and technically. My chops on my instruments and my gear have improved CONSIDERABLY and this is my first release that I think will have any commercial potential or relevance. Like I say, I dont really care if it breaks even or not, but I'm certain it will create a buzz which is all I'm reallly trying to do. At least it will get passed around for free as a copy of a copy that someone rips and burns on down the line...Man, I hear a hundred songs a week on radio around here that have no further representation than somebody's email address that was used to send a {censored}ing protools file to some DJ. No Video, No Band, just music from self produced people behind a computer, using Logic, Cubase,Sonar,Protools and the like... There is no way in hell I could ever do any of my stuff live, and I'm not a performer and have zero ambition to be one. When my material gets uploaded, I'm gonna shop a few hardcopies to local radio and see what happens. Maybe they play it maybe they keep it for themselves, maybe they toss it,
I don't really care. I will eventually have a website that willl host all my material that will be independant of the commercial distribution networks but that little bit of development is gonna take some time...I did read that article you linked to but most all that stuff is relevant for touring and performing musicians either as solo acts or in bands,
I'm none of the above.

• Members
Well... my advice is test the waters
before
you part with a big slice of that bank, since it can be done for next to nothing. (And using TuneCore or ReverbNation or others with store-placement services is not particularly expensive, to be sure, unless you go nuts trying to make sure it's in every single international iTunes store -- since you tend to get charged for each one, as they must be dealt with separately, and, as noted, Apple goes out of their way to make it a
TPITA
.) I think you should be able to get good coverage in the US, Europe, UK and Japan for maybe $35-$60 or so. (Yearly maintenance charges can vary; TuneCore's charges are more up front. RN makes you pay yearly but is a little cheaper up front. TuneCore offers periodic deals.)

TPITA? What is this?
EDIT: lemme guess, Total pain in the ass...:lol:

• Members

Why is completely original music just worthless, academic navel gazing 99.99% of the time? Because the blues-based pop/rock song is far and away the best vehicle for delivering entertainment in musical form, at least to our Western ears. Am I off base?

I think an interesting question is: how likely is there is to be a currently unknown, completely different approach to music that is as effective as the blues-based pop/rock song? It seems very unlikely to me, given that so much has been tried in the last 100 years. Any other opinions?

I kinda take your point, but I think "completely original music" vs "the blues-based pop/rock song" is a false dichotomy. There are umpteen shades of fairly popular and innovative music outside the blues based pop/rock song.

These days, if I hear a new blues-based pop/rock song, I generally switch it off within ~ 15 seconds. This after a lifetime of listening to and playing said blues based pop/rock songs. It got as good as it gets by the 1970s and stopped being creative (except in a pedantically literal sense) by the 1980s.

I think we still hear them endlessly rehashed and repackaged because they're easy for 'artists' to make and corporations to market from ready-made templates - as much as any inherent quality of the format.

• Members

I kinda take your point, but I think
"completely original music"
vs
"the blues-based pop/rock song"
is a false dichotomy. There are umpteen shades of fairly popular and innovative music outside the blues based pop/rock song.

A gazillion and umpteen at least...

• Members

I would love to hear an example. It's just really hard to believe that something so radically different could possibly have the universal appeal of a catchy, 3 minute, ABABC... pop song. It's hard to believe not because I can't conceive of it (which I must say I can't), but because so many innovative things have already been tried.

As far a having the universal appeal of an ABABC pop song - it doesn't have to. Classical was the popular music of the day at some point. That's what chamber music was for - to enable a small intimate performance of classical works, usually inside the home. People bought sheet music and did just that. Jazz and swing music was the popular music of the day at some point also. But thats just in one dimension of it, using time as a seriality of events as it were. Geographically, you have Rebetika in Greece, Fado in Portugual, Ghazals in Persia, jigs and reels in Ireland, Dangdut in Indonesia, Bhangra in India, and Ra

Archived