Friday Influences Thread 06.11.10

Stackabones

• Moderators

Yeah^... nice. Reminded me of this great tune off Jonatha Brooke's The Works album. She takes the unfinished lyrics and Woody Guthrie... etc. etc. It's very good. All live in the studio.

[YOUTUBE]U2Pt9jkQmms[/YOUTUBE]

Madonna On The Curb (Lyrics: Woody Guthrie)

On the curb of a city pavement, by the ash and garbage cans.

In the stench of rolling thunder of motor trucks and vans,

There sits a little lady with brave but troubled eyes,

And in her arms a baby that cries and cries and cries.

She cannot be more than three, but the years go fast in the slums,

And hard on the pangs of winter's cold, the pitiless summer comes.

The wails of sickly children she knows, she understands,

The pangs of puny bodies, the clutch of small hot hands.

The deadly blaze of August that turns men faint and mad,

She quiets the peevish urchins by telling of dreams she had.

Of heaven with its marble stairs, and ice and singing fans.

And God in white, so friendly there, just like the drug store man.

On the curb of a city pavement by the ash and garbage cans.

In the stench of rolling thunder of motor trucks and vans,

There sits a little lady with brave but troubled eyes,

And in her arms a baby that cries and cries and cries.

So when you're giving millions to Belgian Pole, and Serb,

Remember my beautiful lady, MADONNA ON THE CURB.

• Members

Love this song, love this band. For a long time I was too hip for them... but over the years, I calmed down and they just kept getting hipper.

0OCnHNk2Hac

A tougher reconciliation, but I've had to admit lately that, though it was only the first few albums that really moved me, these guys really had their moments:

9hUy9ePyo6Q

(I was really looking for a live back-then version of "Hazy Shade of Winter" but my search was disappointing; this, however, works pretty nicely.)

I remember seeing this on TV back then and -- having supplied the stereo for a sock hop at my jr high (where my 20W/channel amp and 8" ported speakers were no match for a couple hundred sweaty pubescents and were quickly driven into not just massive distortion but, for the first time ever, I got to experience that fabled phenom of turntable feedback, even though the speakers were spread about 20 feet to either side of the turntable. I'd done a few catered parties but that was, you know, muted bossa nova and maybe a little Tijuana Brass snuck in when folks were getting frisky. This was Dave Clark Five and the Supremes and these new guys Simon & Garfunkel, who they told me were folk -- but then I put on the full band version of SoS at full blast and it sounded like Ministry meets Skinny Puppy.

I think my next vid is going to be black and white and I'm going to put some attention into getting a nice halo effect with my key/kicker lighting. (I just spent some qual time here: http://www.lowel.com/edu/glossary/ ;) )

• Members

Sold merch for these guys Wednesday night. Cool guys and good songs with great harmony vocals all the time. This is what song the opened with

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

I hadnt heard this yet, somebody just posted it in GJ, but I think some of you guys might really like it

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

The song's pretty ok -- but I love the vid. :D

They actually have a bit of Simon & Garfunkel feel to their vocal harmonies at times, I guess because of the guy's Paul Simon-ish voice. I didn't like the vocal retuning correction right at the end of the vocals, though, kind of spoiled the nice, innocent itimacy of it.

In five or ten years, I think a lot of folks are going to listen to their old tracks and think, Oh, gawd, why didn't I punch a couple extra times instead of 'tuning!

• Members

That's the first song full I learned to play on guitar when I was a kid. I love it as well.

You know, I was never much of a Lightfoot fan back when I was young, but he wrote some really fine songs and that's one of the nicest.

I love all those 60s songs that celebrate the romantic fantasy of the lonely troubador: "Leaving on a Jet Plane," "Greenback Dollar," "Homeward Bound"...

• Members

S&G were the supreme lords of the Silver Age of acoustic Pop, AFAIC. I always

idolized Lightfoot too.

I bought a Fellini boxed set yesterday. One disc is a CD of Nino Rota's incomparable music

for il Maestro's incomparable films.

Rota was really influenced by Strauss waltzes, circus music & American

torch songs. The theme from Amarcord has all three...except for

the last four notes of the melody line - which are pure Nino Rota.

Those last four notes slay me every time.

LBL_Z-zO47A

xPq0PbGkZKY

uceVhIgNGVg

• Members

Well after hearing Astral Weeks in it's entirety for the first time last week, I have a new appreciation for Van.

The arrangement is spectacular. Sounds like he recorded it in a hurry too. I dig albums like that.

2QzDWIOUnM0

• Members

Yeah^... nice. Reminded me of this great tune off Jonatha Brooke's The Works album. She takes the unfinished lyrics and Woody Guthrie... etc. etc. It's very good. All live in the studio.

Thanks for that. Very unusual song structure, lyrically and melodically. But it works with excellent flow and emotion. (I like songs with unique [non predicitble] structure. But it takes more to make them work.)

Here's an oldie I've always liked but never worked up. I've heard you're supposed to work up a cover tune of an idol of yours. This'd be it for me and Paul Simon. But I think he never actually played it live either. So it might be tough.

I78HxruQZ1M

[vid link fixed by mod]

• Members

One of my favorite albums ever. Might be the favorite. But that tends to fluctuate on a minute-by-minute basis. ;)

BTW, I fixed that video link for you, using my moderator super powers. :D

When you're using the YouTube tags here and on other vBulletins boards, only use the video's ID string, which you'll find after the v= and before any & ....

You can edit your post to see what the code looks like in action, if you want.

• Members

Have you been snooping on my Rhapsody playlists? :D

I've been listening to a lot of Nino Rota in the last few weeks. It started when I whipped up an ad hoc playlist featuring big chunks of Rota, Morricone, and Mancini -- working on this idea that Mancini kind of stretched between the two of them... but then I realized that Mancini is actually more all-encompassing. :D

• Members

(I was really looking for a live back-then version of "Hazy Shade of Winter" but my search was disappointing; this, however, works pretty nicely.)

I remember seeing this on TV back then and -- having supplied the stereo for a sock hop at my jr high (where my 20W/channel amp and 8" ported speakers were no match for a couple hundred sweaty pubescents and were quickly driven into not just massive distortion but, for the first time ever, I got to experience that fabled phenom of turntable feedback, even though the speakers were spread about 20 feet to either side of the turntable. I'd done a few catered parties but that was, you know, muted bossa nova and maybe a little Tijuana Brass snuck in when folks were getting frisky. This was Dave Clark Five and the Supremes and these new guys Simon & Garfunkel, who they told me were
folk
-- but then I put on the full band version of SoS at full blast and it sounded like Ministry meets Skinny Puppy.

I think my next vid is going to be black and white and I'm going to put some attention into getting a nice halo effect with my key/kicker lighting. (I just spent some qual time here:
http://www.lowel.com/edu/glossary/
;)
)

My Those guys all got old Peter and Paul played Kerrville two weeks ago they are still great

• Members

I wish that I could list one artist as my influence, but I always been drawn to the song itself. If I like the song I didn't or don't care who wrote it.

A good song is a good song.

The purpose of this thread isn't to list a single primary influence of all your songwriting, just someone who has made a powerful or recent impact on it. No matter what your process is, both of these have, are and will continue to happen.

• Members

The purpose of this thread isn't to list a single primary influence of all your songwriting, just someone who has made a powerful or recent impact on it. No matter what your process is, both of these have, are and will continue to happen.

Well excuse meeeeeee

Archived