Song rearranged, was it worth it?

dbd1963

• Members

As you may know, I've been trying to learn how to write progressive rock. I took a rather poppy song of mine, Solar System Man, and attempted to "prog it up." I did this by altering a few rhythmic sections and adding an instrumental section before the bridge.

Now, I know the lead vocal is not a keeper take. I also have realized the mix is pretty crappy.. but that aside, are there any musical elements that don't seem to be working? Or can you think of something that I might do to make it more progressive?

Also, the lead vocal melody might need some attention. Can you say whether it was alright to you, or would you make changes?

Thanks for any help you can give me:

You can find the song here.

:thu:

• Members

I like it. The vocal arrangements are cool and I like all the connective tissue you've given the song. You definitely take the song to some interesting places and it all flows very well.

The drums were a bit sloppy in the break around ~2:40 (though still much better than I could ever do!)

It sounds a bit like "Secret Agent Man" in places, and not just because of the clear name similarity.

I like the bit after this breat at ~3:10, reminds me of The Who.

You'll have to forgive me, but I'm not all that familiar with "prgressive rock" and what that entails. To me, this sounds more like something that would have been called "progressive" in the 60's.

• Members

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them.

The drums are all loops. The odd time loops I have came from BetaMonkey and they do have varying quality. I don't know a good source of solid odd time loops, actually.

Progressive rock has a lot of different definitions and iterations, but I'm shooting for something that lies in the path between the Yes of the early 1970s (particularly, an album called The Yes Album, Steve Howe's intro and pre Wakeman) and Rush c1981-85 and a non-progressive band, Soundgarden of the 1990s. But this song was not written for that -- it just was born on its own and I tried re-working it into something proggy.

Archived