how to write good songs?

• Members

I'd try a new guitar : )

seriously you may be trying to hard. Last week I was in Kerrville at the Songwriters School, I highly recommend it by the way, but one of the things suggested is to take a pad of paper, and a pencil and think of anything that comes into your head and then write down everything you can think of on the subjectjust let it go for say ten minutes, then underline the thoughts that sort of jump out at you. It was recommend that you do that daily for a month or so and see if your mind doesn't start thinking more rythmically. Good luck on the journey.:wave:

• Members

keep writing, you will get better

though i sense you're always going to feel dissatisfied with what you write ... gotta come to terms with that or it'll eat you up

what you've written is experience and a few inches forward movement, it can't be rubbish if you see it that way. just steps on the way

• Members

Songwriting should be a positive experience.

I have written a great many songs and I have never thought of even one of them as rubbish. I suffer from the rockinrobby syndrome (:wave:) in that all of my songs are spectacular, at least for a period of time.

Seriously, though........you can only write the songs that are in you. Read the advise of chickenmonkey, stackabones, his blueness and Lee to figure out the nuts and bolts....but in the long run write what you feel and try to feel good about what you write.

• Members

1. Don't expect such great heights from your songs too early in the process. The trick is to try to suck less with each effort :)

2. Keep Trying

3. The feedback from others, is better than your perception, since you'll always see the flaws (at least in my case)

4. I'm never completely satisfied with what I write, which makes it hard for me to finish a song -- though I know if I like it too much, it's probably crap. I need some dissatisfaction, 'cause I'll work harder to make it better and it will be better.

• Members

You must find your point of inspiration first. If it's a tempo, a stylee of beat, a guitar technique, a keyboard motif, whatever, you have to have something, some element, some point of reference, to inspire you. Find that and amplify it, record it , expand it, dunk it in chocolate or cheese sauce, sprinkle with sprinkles, and then you will be on the right track to realising how to get what's in your head {and heart} into everyone else's.

I know it's not as easy as it sounds, but it really is the only way anything really creative or original actually gets done in the world of music and art. Obviously you need the technical skills as well, after you get the ideas hashed out...

But the idea is always the most important thing...

• Moderators

just think from your deep heart and start writing.

you would be all alone at that time.

Anyone know where I can find some nice pop up trade show displays?

Anyway... I like this thought from Rangerrick

take a pad of paper, and a pencil and think of anything that comes into your head and then write down everything you can think of on the subjectjust let it go for say ten minutes, then underline the thoughts that sort of jump out at you. It was recommend that you do that daily for a month or so and see if your mind doesn't start thinking more rythmically.

What that does is get you good at taking whats inside of you and getting it out. Without editing. Then... edit.

It gets you good and used to purging. And like any good partying teen, you get better at purging and learn to control it. But at first, just toughen up the gag reflex a bit and get used to getting it out with out shame. Nobody's looking but you. Then, pretty soon you stop caring about that too.

Hmmm.

• Members

Congratulations! You have good company in writing rubbish! Every single songwriter that has ever lived has written rubbish. You should be proud of joining this great tradition.

Seriously - even highly talented people have to write dozens and dozens of songs, maybe even more than a hundred, before coming up with something decent. Your first hundred or so will almost certainly be rubbish, and that's cool.

If things aren't working out for you after sticking with it that long, though, you'd be wise to start exploring other mediums to express yourself.

And you're lucky you don't have the opposite problem: thinking your stuff is really good - that's probably the worst (and most delusional) attitude to have.

• Members

All of the above are good suggestion and you may want to try them all.

I'm no great songwriter but when I start to feel like what you have describe,

I change from my guitar over to a piano.

Sometimes the different sounds will inspire something.

Tom T. Hall buys a new guitar every time he hits a block.

he said that a guitar only has so many songs in it then he laughed,

He said once there all gone you need to get a new guitar.

With all the hits that he has written he could afford it.

But thats what he found worked for him.

You as a writer will have to find what stimulates your creative juices.;)

• Members

everytime i pick up a guitar everything i come up wihth is rubbish...

You write rubbish because you probably haven't learned enough songs.

Try learning twenty new songs in different genres then twenty more. then twenty more. Your well of ideas is only so deep and so full.

One must have a vast base of knowledge from which to draw and you can only get that know-how by learning a great many songs note for note.

you'll only get better at everything by learning many songs.

I like roots music for that very reason. I found out that PUNK MUSIC came directly from SURF MUSIC.

there are many types of blues and it's fun to learn how it all came aboot.

I have typed this before and so I'll type it again.

your well of Ideas has run dry so you must fill your well again by learning many, many songs in as many genres.

writeing goode songs is easy once you know how. I can prove it and my jams speak for themselves.

recording the music is a whole 'nother aminal. Woof!

• Members

Write a song about rubbish.

Perhaps it will null out?

:D

_________

It think we all have a certain (variable) quota of rubbish we have to write before we can get our ratio of good stuff-to-rubbish up.

The more you write, as others have said, the better you will write.

But it does tend to happen slowly for the most part. Sometimes it can feel like you're not making any progress or even moving backwards.

And that is really the time to keep putting the effort in. It may not always be 'darkest before the dawn' but sometimes the struggle to create gets pretty sticky right before a breakthrough.

Keep on writing...

• Members

LOL...I think most everything I write is rubbish compared to the songs I "should" be writing, but then again my dissatisfaction has pushed me to focus harder on making things work musically.

I tend to write a lot on the guitar and since I have no knowledge of the fretboard other than memorized scales and chord fingerings (not the names, just patterns), I find it almost useless to transplant those tunes to my sequencer w/o the tedious aid of my guitar guides. The rhythms are too complicated and diverse to capture right in MIDI with other instruments (that I feel the arrangement needs) and I usually just get pissed off and pour out unfinished work that says done all over it. :p

I am a piano player by heart, but I write much more intricate chord progressions and melodies on the guitar because of how easy it is to play complex layers and layered intervals with open strings.

My style of writing aims to be more eastern and dramatic, so my advice to you would be general and unspecific: Practice, practice, practice. Listen to a lot of music. Find out what kind of music your personality sways to and ride the waves, don't fight them. I mean what I write is the opposite of the music I enjoy in my car or home - big time.

Keep it up and good luck with that tedious road we all walk down. Patience is a hard friend to make at times. :)

Archived