Songwriting Challenge 33 - Breakdowns

blue2blue

• Members

Before Ram (rsadasiv) bailed on us for the summer, he left us with the germ of an idea for Songwriting Challenge 33 -- breakdowns.

Now... Ram didn't actually say whether or not he meant that cool part in the middle of a lot of songs where a lot of the instruments drop down or out and everything gets kinda intimate -- or whether he meant breakdowns in the classic, 19th Nervious Breakdown sense. You know, like the Britney guy. ;) Or whether he meant like a blown radiator in your '88 Yugo, for that matter.

So... let your mind and your heart free and take it however or wherever you want -- song structure, psychological trauma, roadside auto repair, a broken washing machine...

If it's a breakdown of any kind, it's open game.

• Members

Well

I have a song that I recently finished that was going to be part of the #32 Beginnings challenge. But I was having some trouble with it structurally and it took a couple months to get around to working out things.

But the song is unusual in it's construction. The verses are very chorus like, but they are broken up by a bridge-like musical pattern that is that is more contempletive. It's meant to be more quiet, so I suppose it qualifies as sort of a Breakdown.

Any way the first song on my Soundclick is "Mary and Martha."

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Gidday everyone, I've just joined the forum, because after a very long time of not playing, I've decided I have to pick up the guitar again. It seems to me though, that in the end, it's all about the song, and so I got drawn into this forum/ thread.

Marshal that's a nice voice.

Anyway, to offer a great line that got me started on this thought process, I'll quote an Australian Icon named Paul Kelly. A while ago I saw him live and he opened with "When I first met your mother, I was playing in a bar, she walked in with my girlfriend, my foolish girlfriend bought her there"

If I could write just that one lyric, I reckon I could give up the day job.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Is this still going?

How bout a song about "putting a broken chassis, into a 3-lane drift"?

3-lane Drift

Oh now Beth is fit to be tied

She's got sparkles on parade

And oh I've got to shake my head

And say man I've got it made

I didn't know I was paying my dues

I just knew it wasn't right

But every bet I'd ever placed

Was paying off that night

@But you know I'm going down

To where the rivers meet

Walking in these shoes

Makes you want to soak your feet

And I'm driving down tonight

'Cause my spirit needs a lift

I'm going to put this broken chassis

Into a 3-Lane Drift

Now Beth's intrigued by leather

& She's got Marilyn on CD

And you know it kind of scares me

What that girl could do to me

But I ain't getting younger

I'm going to take it while it comes

Cause sometimes life

Just screams out loud

and other times it just hums

@But you know I'm going down

To where the rivers meet

Walking in these shoes

Makes you want to wash you feet

& I'm driving down tonight

Cause my spirit needs a lift

I'm going to put this broken chassis

Into a 3-Lane Drift

http://www.myspace.com/strangerbytheminute/

• Members

She's gone. And thanks for changing that spam link in her quote.

If one does comment on a spammer, it's a good idea to reference the spammer's username or even quote them (as long as you remove any links or promo info, of course) so that, when the spam post is deleted, it doesn't look like one is actually referring to the innocent party immediately above where the spammer was...

Good job!

Archived