I really really cant believe how great my modded Carvin Nomad sounds

search now

• Members

variable negative-feedback loop makes the hugest difference.

also clipping diodes amputated and tone stack altered ,prescence control added to channel 2

also switched to jj tubes before all this . They made it sound a little bit better I think. but the nfl. knob is like taking a pillow from in front of speaker when you go from stock setting to no nfl. setting.

Negitive feedback loops are to "tame " the amp down a little . I dont know why they even use them.

• Members

variable negative-feedback loop makes the hugest difference.

also clipping diodes amputated and tone stack altered ,prescence control added to channel 2

also switched to jj tubes before all this . They made it sound a little bit better I think. but the nfl. knob is like taking a pillow from in front of speaker when you go from stock setting to no nfl. setting.

Negitive feedback loops are to "tame " the amp down a little . I dont know why they even use them.

Who did the mods? I emailed hasserl about 5 times after I got my Bel Air and he never responded. Oh well....the amp's clean channel more than makes up for the gain channel.

• Members

well the stock amp needs serious help! Cool.

this is true . They are known for muddiness in channel 2 and the clean channel was brittle. Clean channel now is amazing its got sustain when its glassy clean and depth like crazy deep rich robust bass with highs that shimmer and dont pierce. I gigged through silverface Twin for years and this is as good.

• Members

Who did the mods? I emailed hasserl about 5 times after I got my Bel Air and he never responded. Oh well....the amp's clean channel more than makes up for the gain channel.

They are the Hasserl mods and any good ampman can do them fairly cheap. I tell ya , the nfl.was the biggie ,that brought the clean channel ,which imo. was total bull{censored} to life.

• Members

They are the Hasserl mods and any good ampman can do them fairly cheap. I tell ya , the nfl.was the biggie ,that brought the clean channel ,which imo. was total bull{censored} to life.

Maybe the Nomad has a different clean channel than the Bel Air? I'm a Fender guy, and I LOVE the clean channel on my Bel Air.

I might look into having a tech do those mods one of these days.

• Members

this is true . They are known for muddiness in channel 2 and the clean channel was brittle. Clean channel now is amazing its got sustain when its glassy clean and depth like crazy deep rich robust bass with highs that shimmer and dont pierce. I gigged through silverface Twin for years and this is as good.

I always thought the clean channel was ok. Problem is, I hardly ever play on a clean channel.

• Members

Maybe the Nomad has a different clean channel than the Bel Air? I'm a Fender guy, and I LOVE the clean channel on my Bel Air.

They are the same amp , just 1/12 vs2/12 I run a 2/12 cab with mine . I would say if you love it, leave it but damn I couldnt use it . To me it had no natural compresion and was shrill. Now, well, I know I am going to keep this amp for life,its that good.

• Members

Same chassis. They might have changed them during their running years possibly.

• Members

Richard (hasserl) is a good friend and a great player and tech. He gets the most unbelievable tones out of his Nomad. We had this crazy jam a while ago with 5 guitar player through half stacks and a loud rhythm section and his tone would cut right through the mix. Not to mention his playing is also fantastic especially on slide guitar. I need to give him a call one of these days. Dude's a class act.

• Members

Richard (hasserl) is a good friend and a great player and tech. He gets the most unbelievable tones out of his Nomad. We had this crazy jam a while ago with 5 guitar player through half stacks and a loud rhythm section and his tone would cut right through the mix. Not to mention his playing is also fantastic especially on slide guitar. I need to give him a call one of these days. Dude's a class act.

I talked with him a lot on the Carvin boards quite a few years ago and ya, what Mr Knobs is to OJ. he was there ,except I didnt know he was a great player too. (Hasserl, Knobs aint too hot ,and he`ll tell ya that)

• Members

the stock amp is great , IF its the kind of amp your looking for . '1940s vintage' ?

It sucks if your looking for a Marshall or Mesa on the cheap ...

I did the Hasserl mods , then went back and retuned the gain and added more mids .

the amp has jcm gain now , but I've since picked up a bunch of high gainers and regret modding it . Almost enough to get off my butt and restore it, lol .

It did the vintage 'mud' better than any other amp I know of .

I don't know wtf the diodes have to do with vintage , but like carvin is saying , this amp is about 'grid control' . Kinda like a Marshall VM without the detail knob ...

a clean channel , and a clean channel with a vintage mud knob .

its NOT a master volume amp with cascaded gain stage distortion .

Love my high gainers , but I've come to appreciate the dynamics of a clean/semi distorted amp + boost too

PS: I will be leaving in the PPiMV an the neg feedback pot , either way
:thu:

Ive always loved the clean vintage sound and what I got with the stock nomad was a crappy clean sound and a usable dirty with a lot of mids sound, like clapton uses a lot these days . Channel # 2 was like it had a built in smooth sounding fuzzbox. Now its like a clean channel # 2 . If you take the gain past 4 it gets really dirty but ugly but thats fine . I have always used boxes for dirt,never was into the super high gain sound . I like listening to it but not using it.

• 10 years later...

Archived