A new one from me

LondonSi

• Members

Hey...been a few months since I've done anything...I've made another song...just music for now....it's at:

www.myspace.com/themouthofghosts

it's called 'new song' ... i'm not sure about it....is it too busy for vocals? also not sure if it fits the rest of my stuff so well? but anyway, i've been very critical of my stuff over the last few months, so would appreciate some fresh opinions.....thanks as ever

• Members

I enjoyed that. It does not sound too busy for vocals, though I would really have to listen to it with vocals to really decide. The distorted, ringing chords sound like they could help pace the vocals; perhaps the chord would be played, followed briefly by the vocal line. I imagine that the vocal line would need to be at a relatively slow pace, at least compared to the bass line.

It does sound a little different, perhaps less electronic than the rest. Or less hop and more rock, though it still has the trip. I really am digging this, though.

• Members

I like this... when it started, I figured it was gonna be some cookie-cutter, loop-oriented downtempo, but it definitely seems to have its own idea of who it is and the guitar and bass especially help define that.

You might need to tinker the drum arrangement a little to keep it from fighting with vocals -- depending on where you were inserting the vox. There were some sections I could imagine as verses where a vocal would have dropped in pretty nicely without too much tinkering.

• Members

thanks for the replies...i agree on the verse drums being too much, i've redone them and toned down the fills.

i agree the point as well that the vocals will need to be long ... to fill the verse chords ... think that could turn out great

will get some vocals done soon and will post an updated track along the way...thanks for the comments :thu:

• Members

Ooo...I don't know if you have done this on other songs or have thought about it, but you could have the complex drum beat like in your new song, but EQ them to take out most of the lows and highs, similar to the sound of drums playing over a phone or really old radio. Then place those in the background with some reverb to taste and have a more simple drumbeat with a synthetic kit up front. It could work really well for some trippier music when you still want a strong beat that doesn't clutter the mix.

• Members

Ooo...I don't know if you have done this on other songs or have thought about it, but you could have the complex drum beat like in your new song, but EQ them to take out most of the lows and highs, similar to the sound of drums playing over a phone or really old radio. Then place those in the background with some reverb to taste and have a more simple drumbeat with a synthetic kit up front. It could work really well for some trippier music when you still want a strong beat that doesn't clutter the mix.

Interesting idea that some of the D'n'B guys used to do around the turn of the century (and probably still do but my bouncing ball moved on)... they'd use a super intense/fast break sample and, using EQ (sometimes automated to go from full range to a narrow, mostly high frequency range) they'd treat it almost like a fast high hat track while they had a longer scale drum track playing normally.

• Members

I uploaded a new version with vocals and 'better' drums...as always comments appreciated...it's still called 'new song' on myspace

Has anyone got an example of the DnB trick with the drums? Sounds interesting, but I can't quite visualise it at the moment.

Archived