Friday Influences Thread 07.23.10

Stackabones

• Members

What has influenced you as a songwriter in the past ... or since the last FIT?

I've been increasingly curious about Gregorian chant since around 2004. This weekend I'm starting my city's first schola cantorum, which is Latin for "singing school." We'll learn how to sing Gregorian chant and perhaps even polyphony. I have nine other folks showing up. When I first played guitar, I started a garage band. Now that I'm an adult, I'm starting a garage schola.

petite.jpg

Click on the pic to hear it! That's not me singing btw.

"Ask, and it shall be given you: seek, and you shall find: knock, and it shall be opened to you: for every one that asketh, receiveth; and he that seeketh, findeth; and to him that knocketh, it shall be opened, alleluia.

• Members

serge-melody.jpg

Sui generis, but "a mutant French hippie combination of Prince and Lou Reed" gets close. His lyrics are great but they don't translate well, so I'm posting this (mostly) instrumental piece which does a pretty good job of expressing (in "the universal language") what this album is all about.

Not crazy about the video here (this NSFW photo is closer to the actual atmosphere of the song) but the audio quality is pretty decent:

w9AsQ7vxpL0

• Members

I mentioned this in the "best lines" thread, but the first verse of "A Good Year For the Roses" hit me this week:

I can hardly bear the sight of lipstick

On the cigarettes there in the ashtray

Lying cold the way you left them

But at least your lips caressed them while you packed

Or the lip-print on a half-filled cup of coffee

That you poured and didn't drink

But at least you thought you wanted it

That's so much more than I can say for me

Print doesn't really do it for them--the lines really fall together beautifully:

cNGSJbE6JT4

The rest of the song, and even the chorus, is a serious step down in quality. It's good, of course but not transcendent like that first verse. The lesson: It doesn't need to be perfect. Get the "spark", that piece that made you want to write the song, then do your best to make the rest of the song pay off.

• Members

I guess this vid is pretty well known but I try not to get around much and only came across it when it popped up (briefly) on the front page of Rhapsody: Die Antwoord's "Enter the Ninja."

The lyrics are most definitely not safe for family or work (NSFW) so I'm just offering a link rather than an embed:

Die Antwoord is fronted by 'Ninja' -- and Ninja is a creation of Watkin Tudor Jones, a long time South African hip hop figure. The vid's visuals are creepy but not obscene (as far as I saw) but there is a very high percentage of F-word related verbiage. An interesting note, the vid features a well known Cape Town artist and one of the oldest living persons with progeria (sometimes thought of as a premature aging disorder), Leon Botha, whose own art plays on his extraordinary appearance.

Archived