A little ditty........

LeonardScaper

• Members

I took my room apart.....a little change.

When I put it back together I tracked some guitars to check the sound and put some lyrics to it.

Now I'm trying to figure out what the heck I'm trying to say.....and maybe even how better to say it.

A Little Change

I made a little change

How does that feel

I tweaked the highs

Caressed the lows

I might seem a little strange for a while

But I'll be fine

'Cause I made a little change

Yeah, I made a little change

Just keepin' it real

I moved the couch

And washed my clothes

'Cause I've been out here on the range for a while

So I made a little change

I've been thinking 'bout all the things I put you through

And all the things we tried to do

I've been thinking 'bout me

Now I'm thinking 'bout you

Here's the deal

I cleared my mind

But my eyes are still closed

'Cause I've been living in this cage for a while

A little........

Change.......

And now it's time to go home

• Moderators

Leo!!!!!!!!!

I can't listen right now but holy criminy if you don't know what you're talking about. That is so clear and insightful. Personally I'd see dropping the highs and lows and sticking with moving furnishings or the like to speak to more people clearly. But I get it, man.

Then the bridge, the detour, the clarification:

Now... there's your change, isn't it? Cheeky bastard. You know what you're talking about. :thu::thu::thu:

Just great.

• Moderators

An idea... perhaps the highs and lows are what you want. Fine. But if you're still searching, think about painting your walls. Or putting down a new throw rug. Just like the couch. A little change.

The reason I suggest that is because in your bridge you come to the real change. The joke is, this "little" change is really quite dramatic. A little adjustment and your whole world changes.

Just a "little" thing like that. So keeping those other changes consistent allows the real change to really shine. Just an idea.

I get the highs and lows, but will the man on the street. Then again, you might not care and that's cool too.

• Moderators

And by the way... I love the rhyme scheme.

I made a little change

How does that feel

I tweaked the highs

Caressed the lows

I might seem a little strange for a while

But I'll be fine

'Cause I made a little change

Yeah, I made a little change

Just keepin' it real

I moved the couch

And washed my clothes

'Cause I've been out here on the range for a while

Here's the deal

I cleared my mind

But my eyes are still closed

'Cause I've been living in this cage for a while

Then in the bridge, where you throw your curve ball, the rhyme scheme of through and do gets interrupted with something that doesn't rhyme. "me". It seems out of place. Rightly so. So when the realization of your folly hits you, so does the return to the rhyme scheme. The wisdom of thinking about someone else. Them before yourself. Thinking about you.

AWESOME!

• Members

Well I liked it. I thought the first verse is a little too songwriter kitschie. It works for us who dwell in the pits of these environs. But the listening audience, as a whole, could get lost with the "tweaking the highs and lows." I might consider saying, "I've made a little change to my song," or something like that that would que in J.Q.Public into what's going on in that verse.

Or start with the second verse. Everybody understand re-arranging furniture (and the metaphorical possibilities).

On the whole it has the same languishing jazzy feel as much of your recent work. I'd like to hear you do a 3-chord-wonder or something with a consitent rhythmic beat to it, just for a change.

• Members

Now I'm trying to figure out what the heck I'm trying to say.....

Geez, Lee......now I'm trying to figure out how I said what it was I didn't realize I was saying.;)

No, seriously....about this song........

It was really about tuning up my rearranged studio room. I wanted to record something so I let myself slip into a comfort zone kind of progession and tracked it......didn't much like it, either. So I moved the couch again and it seemed to get some of the lows under control...you get the picture.

I got the whole 'song' tracked with absolutely no idea about lyrics. So when it came time to check how the vocal chain sounded I just stepped up and sang some train of thought stuff.

But then with a bunch of ideas tracked I decided to make a bit of a writing exercize out of it. You got all of it, Lee....every bit, including what you picked up also, Marshal....about that first verse. I left it in for two reasons......I thought it could be interpreted as a psychological tweaking.....and, barring that, at least it would make the listener wonder a bit as I went right to the mundane (the couch).

I was still strongly considering retracking that verse with something different when another song snuck up on me. This one came fully furnished with lyrics and all. I knew I had to clear the board. So I rushed to completion and posting....at least for now.

Sorry for such an uncharacteristic ramble..........but I though this might be a good writing experience to share.

Marshal...........you might like this new one. It is a bit of a departure for me.......a three chord straight ahead 'spiritual lament'. Coming soon to a thread near you where I'll be seeking ideas for simple verses on a time honored theme.:wave:

• Members

Well I like this one already. I'm just talking about tweaking it,and general BS. (And trying to come up with something pithy to say). "Chip, chip and cheerio."

If I really didn't like it, I'd just say, "Nice, Lenny. keep up the good work."

;) ;) ;)

• Members

Well... that's about the pinnacle of Lenny-ness, arrangement/production wise... Transients? I never heard the attack coming... ;)

Hard not to view this in context with your other recent work... seems like if you brought them together, you'd almost have a musical/operetta kind of thing. Not sure what you'd do for dance numbers... ;)

• Members

Yeah good point :-) , the attack is non-existent, that's the compressor(s) I guess, but this is a song writing forum Blue? Not dedicated to production? Or recording techniques? Let me extend something to you... A BIG friendly hello! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. I'm sorry hahahahaha! damn, I need to change my pants! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Still in all though, I laughed, I cried, I came, to the conclusion that this was some good {censored}.

I really did tear up laughing, thank you, I meant no disrespect. Good times.

• Members

Yeah good point :-) , the attack is non-existent, that's the compressor(s) I guess, but this is a song writing forum Blue? Not dedicated to production? Or recording techniques? Let me extend something to you... A BIG friendly hello! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. I'm sorry hahahahaha! damn, I need to change my pants! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Still in all though, I laughed, I cried, I came, to the conclusion that this was some good {censored}.

I really did tear up laughing, thank you, I meant no disrespect. Good times.

Watch out, laughing boy, you could wind up deputized! How'd you like to get stuck on spam patrol? :D

Archived