Friday Influences Thread 08.06.10

Stackabones

• Members

What has influenced you as a songwriter in the past ... or since the last FIT?

I think Ockeghem's Deo Gratias sounds like infinity.

[YOUTUBE]rzBhYMvnMKQ[/YOUTUBE]

Would you like to host the FIT? This will be my last one to host. Talk amongst yourselves and select a host (I don't need to approve of your selection). While I may still post in future FITs if they are still around, I will not be hosting them. :wave:

• Members

Benji Cossa & the Tightens - 'Indian Princess.'

Benji is simply an amazing, thoughtful songwriter. He's got such a diverse and vast catalog of material, and has inspired me to take a more gentle approach to my songwriting:

http://soundcloud.com/seriousbusiness/06-indian-princess

If y'all dig this, check out Serious Business Records as a whole.

They're putting out some really great music!

http://soundcloud.com/seriousbusiness

• Moderators

Stack, that's beautiful. Remember the first time you managed a C chord on the guitar and the heavens opened. "I made that sound." That's what that is. Awesome.

Speaking of heaven. This song by Andy Partridge and XTC. Dear God. It keeps getting better. What makes it special is... well, it says more about the doubter that it does about God. If there is one. Andy tapped into the dumbfounded disappointment and rage us silly flesh and bloodies can feel. The indignity of our powerlessness sometimes.

And now I hear it and I think, "We're not powerless. Hey... it's OK. Sometimes things smell of {censored}. It's OK. It sucks but it is. What are we gonna do? Sit around and blame a deity? If there is one? Oh there is? Is it his fault? No? Yes? There isn't one? there is?"

It speaks more about the doubter. It's wise to doubt. I'm not taking this sitting down!!!! Great tune. Listen again and read along with these lyrics. Completely devoid of cliche and yet totally universal.

[YOUTUBE]wGEA8ya4XyM[/YOUTUBE]

I can believe in me can't I?

• Members

One of the songwritters I gig with called this one last night. It was pretty tight considering we'd never played it together before then, but it came together really nicely. Harmonies on the chorus and a little space to noodle on my guitar

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Archived