Arrangement - guitars (sample inside), need fresh critical ear, and no mercy ;)

LowYaw

• Members

A bit of a cross-post from Phil's subforum.

I need some critical ear on guitar's function in this arrangement. I receeived a complaint that the guitar part is no good, but no explanation followed. So, get the best of those inquisition hats on, and be merciless.

Here's the entire mix, sans keyboards and vocals. It's not "properly mixed", just all the tracks bounced without any processing / EQing, "all knobs at noon". Right-click and choose "Save As..."

the entire story is here

• Members

I listened to it on the other sub-forum. I couldn't find anything wrong with it, either in the arrangement or the tone.

My thoughts: maybe the producer wanted a different vibe? You guitars are cool, smooth and relaxing. Maybe he wanted something with more KAPOW! Not sure I would agree with him in that case. Still no resolution to the drama?

• Members

Idea!

It may or may not work, but you could try to add a little edge to your guitar sound either through effects or additional flourishes in your playing.

Effects: I could hear this working well with a little wah to accentuate the attack or decay of some of your notes.

Flourishes: maybe a couple string bends here and there.

Effects: just a touch of fuzz. Really. No more than a touch.

Don't overdo any of these, or you risk sounding cheesy. Velveeta cheesy.

I would recommend trying a number of ideas, place each one in the mix and then come back a day later to see how you like each. You could also share with the community here to see if anyone thinks the new recordings are an improvement.

• Members

A bit of a cross-post from Phil's subforum.

I need some critical ear on guitar's function in this arrangement. I receeived a complaint that the guitar part is no good, but no explanation followed. So, get the best of those inquisition hats on, and be merciless.

Here's the entire mix, sans keyboards and vocals. It's not "properly mixed", just all the tracks bounced without any processing / EQing, "all knobs at noon". Right-click and choose "Save As..."

the entire story is
here

Probably more appropriate to some other forum (guitar forums come to mind) but we'll talk the mod into stretching a point... [since the mod is me].

Which part is the problem for the complainant? And in what context?

Sounds to me like a good back track in search of some foreground, a developed lead part, a vocal, a solo by another instrument, or, probably better, some combination of the above.

But I think what's there now is just fine as far as it goes.

You know, I get the sense that there are lot of young guitarists out there who, not hearing some grindy shred, think a given guitar part is somehow deficient. A lot of these guys don't appear to have much sophistication (or even much ability to tell well-performed shred from poorly-performed -- as long as it, you know, shreds. :D )

At a certain point, you have to just be who you are. It sounds like you've got the chops to begin to learn to be comfortable with yourself and how you play. For sure, we all can have moments of doubt, and sometimes -- despite our own better knowledge and sense -- we let one of those moments be provoked by the comments of the clueless or misdirected. But, ultimately, a guitarist has to draw strength and confidence from who he is on the guitar... always try to push yourself, of course, but always be yourself, too. Just as in any endeavor.

• Members

I listened to this in the other forum and I struggle to find true fault here. Any comments I have are really stretching it. Overall, the musicality of the track is high and any criticisms wind up in very nit-picky "Steely Dan" perfectionist territory. Then again, I don't know what the missing pieces (vox, etc) will be so it's hard to say.

I think the tremolo'd guitar blunts your attack a little and lessens your rhythmic authority. My sense is that the guitars need a sense of attack and confidence to them. The rhythm is very casual so the guitar has to act as an accent and jab in a way that adds contrast and excitement. The tracks you laid down have the elements but they need amping up just a tad. I don't think it's inappropriate to mention Stevie Ray Vaughan and how hard he hits his strings - this track could use just a little of that.

I almost feel that more could be done with the dramatic pause and resume at 1:25ish. Also that nice fluid lead at the end should be a little louder - flaunt your skills, dude. Maybe it's just that you're erring a little too much on the side of being tasteful and restrained.

This is all I have. And it's really nit-picking. A lot of parts that I lay down are 10x more half-assed than what you have here. Good job and I'm sure I'm not the only one interested to hear what the final result will be.

EDIT: davesacre said it all better and shorter.

• Members

blue2blue - sorry for violating the rules a bit, i kind of overreacted to the situation with this song, and, probably tried to draw too much attention. however, i thought this topic would be relevant here, because my question was, in essence, if i wrote a sufficiently good part.

davesacre - thanks a lot for going so deep and far trying to help me. the resolution to the drama is that they want to let another player make a bit of money, so whatever i play is actually irrelevant. if the leader of the band insists on keeping my guitars, or they ask me to play differently - so be it, if they decide to give in to the producer, and hire anyone else - best of luck, but i quit.

showbiz, huh.

• Members

"omg, this guitarist is pure donkey {censored}! where have you gotten this moron? here, i have a dude i know for ages he'll do it for you just for a couple of bucks!"

an that was getting on my nerves. i wanted to know if it really is that bad, as i am being told? you know, when a successful - for whichever reason - pro tells you you're doing it wrong, you start to wonder.

anyway, kind listeners, i hope i explained it as clearly as my English allowed me to. i feel relieved.

but all you guys say makes me feel about this entire story in a different way. music is not always the key. i hope this will help other aspiring players.

sorry for such a long rant!

• Members

Happy to try to help, LowYaw!

You know, if you've been around for a while, you've probably been in a few situations where you were a bad fit, whether it was a job, a social scene, or whatever. But that's sort of a two way street, too...

I'm pretty sure I don't want to be in a situation with a boss who says things like that above -- even if I wasn't the one inspiring his scorn. He sounds like a jerk. (Imagine, a producer... who's a jerk! Hard to conceive such a thing... :D )

:)

• Members

thanks again. if there'll be any additional versions, played by me or whoever, i'll post it here for our amusement :)

Well, if it makes you feel any better, your guitar part was stuck in my head all day. Even provided a little inspiration for a mini-creation of my own--

i am happy to hear that; if there's at least one person who got inspired by my playing - i am really thankful for it. well, may be i'll even treat myself to a new Telecaster :facepalm:

Archived