Amp problem... smoke involved, fuses appear fine

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

So a while back, I was setting up for a show and my Diezel started smoking and had some serious sonic issues. It had never had a problem before, and always sounded great, and then out of the blue it was like it lost 90% of it's power and sounded "squishy" (for lack of a better term...)

While I was scratching my head and fidgiting with the controls, I smelled awful plasticky smoke, and then saw it coming from the back of the amp. I immediately powered down, and unplugged it from the wall. I checked the fuses visually, and they appear to be in perfect condition.

Is there any reason to suspect this is only a tube issue? They were still newish (guessing at around 30 hours of use) but if it was just the sonic problems I'd probably be convinced it was the tubes. I don't think I've ever heard of an amp smoking from tube failure tho... I figure that there has to be fire if there's smoke, so something's been damaged.

So far "must be the tubes" has been the only answer I've gotten from the authorized repair tech for Diezel USA. Can anybody with experience tell me if this is possible? I don't claim to be an expert, so set me straight if I'm wrong about this, but I just can't bring myself to believe a tube change is all I need to fix this...

• Members

if i were you i would immediatly take it to a experienced tech to see if there's a internal component damaged.

I would love to, but there is only one authorized repair person in the USA for Diezel amps. If I take it to the techs I know and trust, I void the warranty.

• Members

when you turn the amp is one of the tubes glowing red. I had this happen to my Marshall TSL. I got the burning plasitc smell and everything but no sonic issues.....just s hum that got worse the longer I left the amp on. Needless to say I replaced the tubes and voila. I would say that a Tube can get plenty hot

enough to melt any plastic that may be in the surronding area i.e. tubes socket, tube base, etc. Not entirely impossible by any means. Have you not replaced the tubes? If not try that. I have a feeling if no damage was done to the amp when the tube red-plated (assuming that is the problem) tubes is

what it is

• Members

So a while back, I was setting up for a show and my Diezel started smoking and had some serious sonic issues. It had never had a problem before, and always sounded great, and then out of the blue it was like it lost 90% of it's power and sounded "squishy" (for lack of a better term...)

While I was scratching my head and fidgiting with the controls, I smelled awful plasticky smoke, and then saw it coming from the back of the amp. I immediately powered down, and unplugged it from the wall. I checked the fuses visually, and they appear to be in perfect condition.

Is there any reason to suspect this is only a tube issue? They were still newish (guessing at around 30 hours of use) but if it was just the sonic problems I'd probably be convinced it
was
the tubes. I don't think I've ever heard of an amp smoking from tube failure tho... I figure that there has to be fire if there's smoke, so something's been damaged.

So far "must be the tubes" has been the only answer I've gotten from the authorized repair tech for Diezel USA. Can anybody with experience tell me if this is possible? I don't claim to be an expert, so set me straight if I'm wrong about this,
but I just can't bring myself to believe a tube change is all I need to fix this

I do not understand why people always rule out the tubes right off the bat. I am not saying that is the problem but statistically there is probably about a 90-95% chance it is the tubes.

• Members

I ruled it out right off the bat, because I have had many tube problems, but have never had thick plasticky smoke pour out of the back of the amp when they go out... Normally tubes are the first thing I check, so I don't always look for something else.

My tubes were not redplating either

• Members

I ruled it out right off the bat, because I have had many tube problems, but have never had thick plasticky smoke pour out of the back of the amp when they go out...

My tubes were not redplating either

well forget everything I said then.

• Members

Have you tried asking here in the Diezel Forum?

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14&sid=1423a0a21fda2f803b071e05f3302147

Not yet... After never getting an answer from the authorized repair techs, I contacted Olaf here via PM. He forwarded my mail (back in february) to both Peter and Terry Hicks, and all I've gotten since has been dead ends.

I've called, e-mailed, moved up the chain, and then made more calls and e-mails. Had a few messages from Terry where he pretends it's the first time we've talked and asks me questions I've already answered, but never more than that.

It's hard to find fault with Diezel, because they seem to genuinely want to help. Olaf is still trying to put me in contact with people, and gave me a fresh e-mail address to try today even. I'll see how that goes... :facepalm:

Archived