a rant about ego

antp

• Members

i am first and foremost, a guitar player. as a guitar player, you start out not knowing anything and looking up to everyone. after a while you start to become proud of yourself and the accomplishments you've made in developing technique, style, and being able to emulate as well as create.

of course, there is importance in developing confidence in yourself in order to stay within the moment and focus on making the sounds you intend. the pressure of knowing someone else is listening (whether in person or through recording) is enough to create a sort of "buffer" in our flow and impair the act of reaching too far into the void of discovery.

on the other hand, there are those who seem to let this confidence run rampant and fail to put restraint on their willingness to "let loose". i understand that taste is subjective, and i understand that dissonance can be beautiful. what some people do not seem to understand is how to listen. have you ever sat and jammed with someone who seemed to have totally forgotten about the music and let their inflated ego murder your ears with an incessant flow of nonsense?

of course, mistakes are part of the learning process; as long as you learn from them... the whole point that i'm trying to get to with this rant is that we should feel lucky to have self-doubt and feelings of inferiority because these are the things that push us to listen, learn and grow.

• Members

Good point about self-doubt, actually.

But, for a lot of us, self-doubt can become crippling, too, if it gets 'out of balance.'

I think a lot of us would like to get to the point where the luxury of an overinflated ego might even be feasible... ;)

• Members

humility would be a more balanced term and is more along the lines of what i was trying to say. i guess i meant that self doubt and inferiority could balance out the opposite spectrum of those who think too highly of themselves.

• Members

ps.

i had a bit of self-doubt when writing this post cause i questioned whether or not i knew what i was talking about. the humility part came into play when i decided that someone might be able to relate to what i had to say.. i think harmony is the same whether in the context of life or music.

• Members

identity also, people want to be known for something. maybe i'll get a tshirt with seagull written on it. whenever i do listen to music, any music, i learn. what i like, what i don't. but. i know that if it is purly creative, i wasn't written for me. unless i wrote it, of course. it may be performed for me, which is different.

• Moderators

Ego only comes into it when you put yourself before the music. Even if you're laying out with humility, that is letting your ego get in the way too.

How about listening to the music and adding what you can within your skill set to make the music better? What ever that means. If laying out makes it better, great. If blowing a Coltrane blizzard adds what is needed, great.

Ego has nothing to do with that. This is art, not modeling. Not acting. Not E! Hollywood Stories.

An not a "Better Music Through Humble Self Doubt and Low Self Esteem" seminar.

• Members

"maybe i'll get a tshirt with seagull written on it."

I have a tee shirt that says "the man" with an arrow pointing up? And it also says, "the legend..." with an arrow pointing down? I don't know what it's supposed to mean, it just seemed deep.

Shouldn't that say "The Man" and "The Myth"

Archived