Copy protecting uploaded songs?

x-ray specs

• Members

I was thinking of uploading a song but want to copy protect it in a way so it can't just be easily copied.

I was thinking of a similar way where companies that sell audio software sometimes add a beep sound that plays every so often on demos and am wondering if I could add something similar to help copy protect a song?

But could someone just as easily be able to edit it out? Or is there a more surefire way to add a beep sound or some other effect or sound so it can't be edited out so I can prevent the song from being copied so easily?

Thanks for any info/ideas. :)

• Members

I was thinking of uploading a song but want to copy protect it in a way so it can't just be easily copied.

I was thinking of a similar way where companies that sell audio software sometimes add a beep sound that plays every so often on demos and am wondering if I could add something similar to help copy protect a song?

But could someone just as easily be able to edit it out? Or is there a more surefire way to add a beep sound or some other effect or sound so it can't be edited out so I can prevent the song from being copied so easily?

Thanks for any info/ideas.
:)

Audio software bleeps are just that. A bleep sound generated by the software. This of course doesn't necessarily become part of the audio you might be working with. That said. If you're referring to audio software actually mixing the audio your working (with when you try to save it out) with a bleep sound then there is virtually no way of removing it afterwards as it's part of the recipe that makes up the mixed down audio file.

I personally think that copywriting music so that you have legal ownership, then throwing it out to the general public is a good way to get your music heard. If it's good, people will copy it and lots of people will get to know about you. That's about the best free online way of marketing yourself in my opinion.

Listening to a song with a bleep over it would probably put me right off..!

Rimmer

• Members

Thanks for the info. I didn't explain the whole picture though. I'm not uploading this music to share for exposure and all that, this is more of a one time thing (or a maybe a couple times) and may only be partial uncomplete songs (in some cases) and so I am looking for ways to help prevent the song from just being copied by any joe schmoe who wanted to copy them.

If I wanted to share my complete songs, which I do under different conditions (when they are ready for primetime), I am aware of sites like soundclick, bandcamp, soundcloud, youtube, myspace, etc. and other similar sites for sharing music where you want them to be heard by others and I would not apply a recorded beep sound to songs in that kind of situation. And of course I would have them copyrighted with the US copyright office first before any uploads of completed songs.

Archived