How do you write a song?

ToxicBass

• Members

Hi! I've always actually wondered about the process of writing songs. I write poetry when I'm inspired and jot down things that come to randomely at random times. I never really sit down and try to write, because it feels forced. How do you guys write songs?

• Members

Or needing to.

(I mean, needing to down inside... not needing to as a homework assignment. But that might work, too. Those Tin Pan Alley and Brill Building guys and gals turned out a few diamonds among the lumps of coal. But there were plenty of lumps of coal. I watch a lot of old musicals and you hear some real crap from some writers who also managed to write really great stuff, too. Just like the rest of us, I'm thinking. ;) )

• Members

Or
needing
to.

(I mean, needing to down inside... not needing to as a homework assignment. But that might work, too. Those Tin Pan Alley and Brill Building guys and gals turned out a few diamonds among the lumps of coal. But there
were
plenty of lumps of coal. I watch a lot of old musicals and you hear some real crap from some writers who also managed to write really great stuff, too. Just like the rest of us, I'm thinking.
;)
)

Isn't that so true. I think as we write we just feel "this is it" and if we let ourselves lessen a bit then we may end up just saying " oh, well" .

do you feel this is true, blue

• Moderators

I don't recall ever deciding that I wanted to write songs. They just started bubbling up and spilling out.

Yeah. I'm reading a book on Ira Gershwin. As a young student he read and wrote light poetry for fun. Without any aim. As his brother George studied classical music, Ira was lost in the clouds. Ignoring his mathematics and other studies in favor of fun, clever, light prose with intellect.

And then... :idea: hey, George, play that again... I've got an idea...

• Members

It's impossible to understand the process... It's like falling in love. It happens to us? We all know what it is, and we've all done it? But does anyone "really" understand how it happens? It just happens... Like strong and weak atomic force, it's there? But we don't know why. Magnetism? It's there? It's all around us, life as we know it would not exist without it, but what "exactly" is it? What makes it work the way it does? We don't know. I find song writing equally an enigmatic. Those who don't do it, don't understand how magical it is.

• Members

It's impossible to understand the process... It's like falling in love. It happens to us? We all know what it is, and we've all done it? But does anyone "really" understand how it happens? It just happens... Like strong and weak atomic force, it's there? But we don't know why. Magnetism? It's there? It's all around us, life as we know it would not exist without it, but what "exactly" is it? What makes it work the way it does? We don't know. I find song writing equally an enigmatic. Those who don't do it, don't understand how magical it is.

well said rock :thu:

• Members

Ashley15 made 7 unrelated posts in a variety of forums in a few minutes and had a commercial advertising link in his/her post, removed by moderator.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time bothering to reply to him/her/it.

Haha leave it to blue2blue. Always on the lookout :thu:

Archived