Mesa Mark IV vs. Fender Super Reverb

dan-electro

• Members

Ok, ok... apples and oranges... I know...

I have been playing an early serial# Mesa Mark IV short combo (with the EV speaker) for the last 10 years... I love the amp, and it is obviously VERY versatile.

I've gotten to the point where I only use the clean channel with a maxon TS, so methinks it is time to trade for something more suitable for my style these days... in otherwords I can't justify holding onto a 3 channel tube amp if I only use one channel!!

I play mostly jazz, fusion, and fingerstyle (feeble attempts from Mike Stern to Danny Gatton, if you catch my drift) and want a tube amp that will accomodate "sounds" in that vein.

Before I owned the Mark, my other tube amp was A fender deluxe reverb reissue... it sounded great, but had major bias and electrical problems (I guess I just got a factory "dud").

A buddy of mine wants my Mark (he plays more hard rock and metal) and is offering up his Fender Super Reverb (70's silver face that has supposedly been "blackfaced") as a trade. He is tired of carting the big cab around. I tried explaining to him that the 1x12 boogie weighs just about as much... but he won't listen ;)

I haven't played it yet, so that will be the ultimate test (duh), but I was wondering if any of you amp heads have experience with the Super Reverb as a jazz - fusion - fingerstyle - alt rock instrument? Noisy?

Are these amps maintenance hogs? I think I've gotten lazy with my mesa's "fixed bias" nature... Am I right thinking the "re issue" fenders are POS's?

I feel bad dissing the uber-boogie, but I'm not letting her shine, and I guess I'm just a one-channel kind of amp guy at the end of the day. Sigh.

Dano

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The re-issue Fenders are great.

I'm not sure about this particular Super Reverb. Try it out.

And no, a Mesa of any sort is not "better" than a Fender Super Reverb. That's one of the silliest things I've heard on HCAF. If you want great cleans, and an amazing clean to to base your gain tone on, you can't do better than a Fender Super Reverb.

Good luck.:cool:

• Members

I think value wise the Mark IV is worth more than a silverface super reverb. I owned a 68 super reverb and loved it but would prefer a Mark IV over the Super reverb.

+1. Molested silverfaces worth less than the unmolested ones. If you want Super Reverb, buy the Reissue. Your amp worths much more than the SF.

Archived