Sign in to follow this  
Visconti

Do lyrics have to make sense for the song to be a hit?

Elsewhere you wrote:

A cynic might suspect that your second post above was plagiarized from someone who
isn't
a commercial spammer.

What about it, Sam?

Sam spammed again, so Sam is gone.

Bye bye, Sam.

:poke:

Pass. Wear these designer jeans, you'll be (and everyone else) the talk of the town. Think
this
way, it's good for you. You ask to conventionalize the unconventional, which has been so-ascribed because it doesn't stand up to the popular vote.

I know Dylan's voice. Don't hear the music in it. I do hear air stumbling out of his voice box, some of it taking the olfactory bypass, but it doesn't do for me what I want music to do. Been tuned in for most of my 55 years but him I tune out. Him and Ethel Merman.

He was better when he didn't try.

I love the first 8 albums (up through John Wesley Harding) and I've learned to sorta love Nashville Skyline in small ways... but with Nashville Skyline and Self-Portrait he tries singing and it seems an effort that's not just unnecessary, but ill-rewarded. (Listen to "Blue Moon" on Self-Portrait.)

Still.. to compare him with Merman seems just cruel.

:D

[Tens of millions of folks apparently loved Merman. So, you know. It's all good. ;) ]

You have your convictions, Lee. I have mine. One thing I won't do is heap shame on you for not upholding mine. A little balanced reciprocity seems appropriate about now.

:) Maybe I should've added a :)

I do really think it's a shame that you're missing out but of course I respect another's opinion. I used to say "I hate BACH!" and lots of guys would say, that's a shame. I disagreed then, now... I bow to the man.

But I'm not being serious here. Just playin' with ya.

I prefer lyrics that make little or no sense. I like lyrics in other languages for similar reasons. If I can't understand it, then it's as though the vocals just blend in as another instrument. When I listen to music, I want to think about melodies, harmonies and rhythm. If I want to complicate things with words, I'll read a book.

Just kidding...I don't actually read:)

^^^^^^^^ This. 100% this.

Absurdism and surrealism, of course, are not just writing whatever comes to the top of one's pointy little head.

Surrealism can definitely be. Dada is usually seen as closely related to surrealism if it's not seen as a species of it.

On 9/15/2010 at 6:49 AM, ~GOD~ said:

no. lots of english songs become hits in countries that don't speak english, and i don't speak latin, but i like ave maria. then there are songs with lyrics that are incomprehensible in their native language.

that being said, come together makes sense to me.

I would say no because music is so powerful and if you really have good music, the lyrics don't matter as much BUT I think that if you have lyrics that make send and good music, you have an AMAZING piece then! Now you have something that people while sing along to in their everyday life.