Weirdest Song Inspiration Yet?

Todzilla

• Members

Here's my new song: My Pet Tapeworm

It's an odd homage to my late father's research on Self-Handicapping, an off-shoot of Attribution Theory, a cognitive bias that affects the way we determine who or what was responsible for an event or action. Pretty nerdy stuff.

Anyway, I went for a cabaret style approach musically, and kept the production pretty sparse, just drums, bass, piano and vocals. Still some cleanup to do.

Lyrics:

My pet tapeworm

I love it when he wriggles inside

He gets excited when we go for a ride

down to the corner store for milkshakes and fries

My pet tapeworm

It tickles when he laughs at my jokes

Sometimes I have to give him a poke

just to remind him that it's time to settle down

Oh, Squirmy

Pomise me you'll never leave me

I'm empty without you

Believe me when I tell you you're the one for me

My pet tapeworm

He never bothers me when I'm stressed

He lifts me when I'm feeling depressed

He'll never challenge me to be at my best

My pet tapeworm

He never makes selfish demands

A chicken nugget he understands

And if he had one, he would lend me a hand

There will always be the boys

making noise with their toys

Trying to get a big reaction from the girls

with the world as their pearl

Trying to make this place a planet full of peace

while back at the ranch...

it's Squirm' and me just chillin' by the TV

My pet tapeworm

Some people say he's holding me back

Sometimes I wish they'd cut me some slack

and stop insisting that my life is out of whack

• Members

It's kinda cute/funny. But one line really doesn't fit at all.

There will always be the boys

making noise with their toys

Trying to get a big reaction from the girls

with the world as their pearl

The girls/pearl thing is slightly forced, but no real problems yet.

Trying to make this place a planet full of peace

What the hell just happened? Suddenly we jumped from noisy boys and girls with big reactions to them trying to make a planet full of peace? Not buying into this.

while back at the ranch...

it's Squirm' and me just chillin' by the TV

I'd revisit that section and find a better way to get from here to there. The rest of the song is completely absurd, but it works.

• Members

Thanks for the feedback.

The intention was to depict life going on, with all the drama and conflict that's part of it, with the protagonist and his inappropriate self-handicap opting out of the main stream.

That's wasn't clear/effective, eh?

• Moderators

Thanks for the feedback.

The intention was to depict life going on, with all the drama and conflict that's part of it, with the protagonist and his inappropriate self-handicap opting out of the main stream.

That's wasn't clear/effective, eh?

It was. I understood that. It's just that the word "peace" has a lot of subtext. So it's almost like a smoke screen hiding your intention. I'd look for unique ways to talk about their grind or their day to day or... $ or baby's new shoes or putting food on the TV tray, etc.

• Moderators

It was. I understood that. It's just that the word "peace" has a lot of subtext. So it's almost like a smoke screen hiding your intention. I'd look for unique ways to talk about their grind or their day to day or... $ or baby's new shoes or putting food on the TV tray, etc.

I take it back! After a second listen, I love it. The song is great first off. But the peace bit I thought was a bit out of character. But now... I love it. I missed the "wink" first time.

I want to hear some of your awesome guitar work on this. It's a bit XTC Oranges and Lemons. To me, that's a wonderful thing. :thu::thu::thu:

Really nice arrangement too. Wow.

• Members

I take it back! After a second listen, I love it. The song is great first off. But the peace bit I thought was a bit out of character. But now... I love it. I missed the "wink" first time.

I want to hear some of your awesome guitar work on this. It's a bit XTC Oranges and Lemons. To me, that's a wonderful thing.
:thu:

Really nice arrangement too. Wow.

Thanks Lee!

I deliberately wanted to leave guitar out of this, since, I wanted it to be a vocal heavy song with caberet style piano (and honestly, I don't know if I even know what caberet style is, but I have a Kurt Weill Three Penny Opera vibe stuck in my head).

Where might you see guitars doing more harm than good?

• Moderators

Where might you see guitars doing more harm than good?

It's just great. But a rock guitar, something Beatlesque, might take it from a novelty to a something a little hipper. I missed its hipness at first. That's all.

But I hear you. You have it down. It's like The Four Freshman sing Biology 101!

Listen to this...

[YOUTUBE]TyK2iHjnx8c[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

So, that's who that guy was following me around with the clipboard.

That guy made me so paranoid and distracted, I completely lost focus and, while I put in three years of mostly upper division classes at university, I never matriculated.

This explains so much...

:facepalm:

:D

Your dad sounds like a very hip dude. ;)

• Members

It's just great. But a rock guitar, something Beatlesque, might take it from a novelty to a something a little hipper. I missed its hipness at first. That's all.

But I hear you. You have it down. It's like The Four Freshman sing Biology 101!

Listen to this...

Subliminal hipness? That might be better than overt hipness!

Yes, I have engrained that XTC album into my brain many times. Not my favorite record of theirs (that'd be Skylarking, with Nonesuch a close second), but brilliant nonetheless. I don't hear as much XTC influence in my material as others do, but the near unanimity with which folks peg my Andy Patridgesqueness betrays my intentions.

Still mulling the guitar thing. My assistant engineer will kill me if I add more instruments to this track, though. It's the one example of parsimony in my otherwise hopelessly muddled ouevre.

• Members

So,
that's
who that guy was following me around with the clipboard.

That guy made me so paranoid and distracted, I completely lost focus and, while I put in three years of mostly upper division classes at university, I never matriculated.

This explains
so much...

:facepalm:

Your dad sounds like a very hip dude.
;)

My Dad was pretty f'ing cool. Hung out with Timothy Leary (professionally) until Dr. L started tripping w undergrads, supporter of civil rights way back when and a WWII vet opposed to Vietnam. Lucky for me, he largely left his work back at the office and was more old school in his parenting. He was a HUGE jazz fan too, with an enormous record collection and a good two hours a day of listening with a martini.

• Members

Claudia made 10 basically one sentence posts in a little over a half hour but then disappeared. Perhaps she'll be back. ;)

BTW, I just listened to the mix of this you posted over in the recording forum, TZ -- it's really quite droll... kind of a cross between They Might Be Giants, 10cc, and the Beach Boys. Very well recorded and mixed, too, it seems to me, but that's probably best left to that forum.

But, def, good job!

And... very interesting lyrics. :D

• Members

Claudia made 10 basically one sentence posts in a little over a half hour but then disappeared. Perhaps she'll be back.
;)

BTW, I just listened to the mix of this you posted over in the recording forum, TZ -- it's really quite droll... kind of a cross between They Might Be Giants, 10cc, and the Beach Boys.
Very
well recorded and mixed, too, it seems to me, but that's probably best left to that forum.

But, def, good job
!

And...
very interesting lyrics.
:D

Thanks.

It was a challenge to make yet another intestinal parasite song not sound like every other segmented host-dwelling flagellate song on the radio, but I hope I succeeded.

• Members

Thanks.

It was a challenge to make yet another intestinal parasite song not sound like every other segmented host-dwelling flagellate song on the radio, but I hope I succeeded.

I hear ya.

Sometimes it's those impossible challenges that just make you write the song.

PS... forgot to mention (70s era) Sparks in that short list of exalted bands this reminds me of. For that matter, better get Queen in there, too. :D

PPS... couldn't help but notice... one of my old jam bands had a reggae-like number with more or less the same title as your "Kill de..." It was something that just sort of popped out of one of the guitarists when the bass and rhythm player were laying down a particularly undulating beat. It never really got developed, although I think he laid out a few choice reasons such an endeavor might make the world a better, safer place. ;)

• Members

I really like this!! I see it as you and your tape worm kind of against the world, but choosing to be safe and just the 2 of you away from the outside world...and others see it as a problem but you like it, cause it's safe and comfy.

Thanks! You've pegged the singer's point of view. However, there's a more insidious message that the Tapeworm is a metaphor for the corrosive traits we all harbor, that we tend to defend, even as they serve to undermine our own interests. In doing so, we actively limit what we can achieve and take comfort in doing so.

Where I live, you'll hear some folk brag "Hey man, I'm a straight shooter, I just tell it like it is," This usually translates into pride over rude behavior and an inability to muster diplomacy. Many other examples abound.

Archived