Derranging?

rockinrobby

• Members

I know I bang this drum? (he said bang...) But I truly believe that arrangement is co-equal with writing in terms of a songs likability/listenability?

Arranging is "it's own thing?" What instruments will I use? (he said instrument) Where will I bring them in? Where will I bring them out? What about "accent pieces?" What about percussion?

What about harmonies? How should I pan everything? Derrangment and production are part of the successful song? The end product?

I'm working on a Christmas song right now, it's one that's been done "many times..." It's a classic? "What child is this?"

So clearly "I did not write it?" However, my interpretation I consider "writing". All of the tasty bits I referenced above? It all goes to the finished product? And I consider "the finished product" to be the goal of song writing? I knew a guy from Helsinki... Everything he did was a Finnished product?

You know what I'm saying, yes, we write? However, Production? Performance? Arrangement? Engineering? Co-equal... Co-equal IMO. I've actually been having some Performance anxiety lately? I was thinking about a supplement? You know, to be all you can be?

Derranging, don't dismiss it! It's co-equal!!

Arrangement, Production, Performance, Writing, Engineering, "co-equal..." Consider each carefully... Listen to songs you like? Listen to the style you feel you fit? Listen to it? And use the techniques you hear.

• Members

It's how I komunicate :-( Sorry! I can't help myself? So you don't think arrangement, production, engineering, etc... Are "co-equal" I take it? Wow, I checked, and I think this is your first post on the songwriting forum?

An odd introduction, but go figure, people are all different... Welcome! I guess?

• Members

Hmmmmm...I think songwriting is the MOST important thing. No matter how good your production or arrangement are, if all you're able to sing is "Glub. Glub. Glub." for instance, then what's the point in that!?

Arrangement is part of the creative process of songwriting and so is also VERY important...if your amazing song you wrote is arranged in a way that doesn't live up to its own potential, then that's really disappointing.

The production, to me, is not really creative. It's more technical. More engineering-y, which I find annoying and frustrating as I'm not adept at this aspect of song creation. It's obviously still important though. That gorgeously written and arranged song will fall on its head if the production sucks.

I guess part of the production side is HOW you actually convey the song itself...it's not all just engineering and tweeking of knobs and stuff. If you've got a fantastic song in all ways except the singer can't sing, well...that's a shame. LOL. Doesn't mean it won't be a good song though. Some people say Bob Dylan can't sing. And all his songs are CLEARLY crap, right? LOL That's why nobody's ever heard of him, heheh.

• Moderators

I think it's important to write the best song possible before pulling the trigger on an arrangement. I think sometimes, a great arrangement can actually discourage the writer from doing due diligence with the composition.

Why bother continue re-writing? Listen to the way those horns navigate the modulation?!?!?

Archived