Land of the Bearded Tomatos

grace_slick

• Members

That's interesting... they didn't sound made for each-other.

Your instincts on the jangly made sense. That's what I was expecting.

You don't have to follow any rules ... but the reason why people don't sing goofy lyrics over serious music? Do you want to be Weird Al? If not - then it's a good idea to just play it straight. That's a common opinion.

Imagine John Lennon opening with "Imagine there's no Handjob." or something silly like that... Or Nigel Playing that beautiful Piano piece he calls... "Lick My Love Pump.." Comedy is about unexpected contrasts.

But, you know, of course be who you be. But it's always smart to be mindful of the bad trap a great many quirky artists have fallen into... Once people decide you're funny... or off-beat... that's it. Do you know what the great band Pavement will be known for in, I don't now, about 10 years or so? As the band that sang "Cut Your Hair." How sad is that?

The only escape clause for funny-artists in straight pop: Being Surreal or just Kinda Ironic (See Beck, Frank Black).

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well I listened again, regarding the timing? It's easy... You play it initially with a tick track/metronome. You set the BPM in your track with what you like.

Then you go back in and look at your midi track? i..e, keys? drums? And "things line up?" or they don't? You can do it visually? It's pretty easy... But can be tedious.

Then regarding ideas on the right/left hand? Once you get it in? You can slow it down in your DAW? You can slow it down to 3/4 speed? 1/2 speed? Then sing it at 3/4 or 1/2 speed? Then listen back and work on the part, i.e., keys. Practice it... I have practiced keyboard parts "for weeks..." before recording them? At 1/2 speed? And then once in? You can speed it up, and then edit the hell out of it, until it sounds "exactly the way you want it to sound."

And there you are? And then speed it back up to full speed? And "that" is how it's done... And all lined up, and timed correctly. It takes "weeks and weeks..." And for the first few? Maybe months? And the more you do it? The better you get at it...

I mean, if you're not playing a guitar? Which must be recorded live? If you're playing the keys? or drums? Come on! The technique I described above can make you sound as good as you choose to sound. It's all about having the right mindset? And knowing how you want it to sound "in your head?" Once those two things are decided, it's just a question of hours in front of the DAW...

But in fairness, I have OCD? And no life? So I can spend day, after day, after day, after day... Working on a part? Until it's how I want it. And with the vox, or a guitar part? You can punch in, and comp it, edit it with programs like Melodyne, do it in little pieces? Until it is "exactly" what you want? Or at least as good as you can possibly make it.

It's the joy of digital recording. The power is really limitless. You are limited only by your ideas, and your commitment. The tools available make it possible to do "anything..." And you have a nice voice, so you're already 80% ahead of the game.

• Members

I'm right there with you - weird/serious can be done. Funny/serious - not so much. I'm just not sure if it ever works

I've never gotten into Zappa...because he just seemed... weird. But in a self-absorbed way that I was never interested in.... I'm not sure, did he ever have a hit? Anything that could be a gateway to his work? I should check him out..

I am a big Fan of Roger Miller, though. Undeniable genius. He was a huge superstar from about 65 to 67 - the creativity of his work was astounding. But he was funny - so that's why today he's pretty much a forgotten Footnote while Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings & Co. are legends. Pissed Roger off to no end that he went out like that..

I'm not saying any of us are going to have that kind of success - but the rule applies to any audience. Funny boxes you in, sadly.

But listen - don't ever listen to people like me. I think you need to keep writing tomato songs if it is important to you - screw anybody else who thinks its weird or doesn't work. That's what Genius's like Zappa and Roger Miller did. I think that's the most important lesson guys like that teach us.

• Members

I'm not saying any of us are going to have that kind of success - but the rule applies to any audience. Funny boxes you in, sadly.

But listen - don't ever listen to people like me. I think you need to keep writing tomato songs if it is important to you - screw anybody else who thinks its weird or doesn't work. That's what Genius's like Zappa and Roger Miller did. I think that's the most important lesson guys like that teach us.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9573352

Archived