Schuldiner tone settings

diegodeath

• Members

That's really hard to say without knowing what amp you're playing through.

The foundation of Chuck's sound comes from a DiMarzio X2N pickup in the bridge.

In my opinion, that will get you almost 70% of his sound.

Chuck never used a whole lot of gain, especially on Sound of Preservance.

I was able to get really similar sounds with a Framus Dragon but that amp sucks so don't buy it.

• Members

Chuck also played with his mid settings from scoop to boost in a few of the albums.

So it also depends what tone you like the most.

If you're into Symbolic and Sound of Preservance tones you need to keep those mids up.

TSOP has a ton of treble too. A very "sharp" tone...

• Members

The Valvestate is a big part, too, I think.

I was playing through a friend's AVT along to Spirit Crusher and it sounded damn close.

this is true. My first head was a VS100....one of the mid-late 90's models. Basically the same as his 8100 except its mono, not stereo, the tube is active on the clean channel as well, and theres no built in chorus. I used to rock that thing with a few NJ series BC Riches, sometimes w/ DiMarzio X2N's, sometimes w/ Super III's. It was actually hard NOT to sound like I was completely ripping of the tone's heard on Symbolic, and Sound Of Perseverance.

In fact, I found a VS100 used ay my local GC for $89 just last week. Got it on layaway to supplement my rack set-up.

So, DiMarzio pick-up (for best reults, the X2N) into an older Valavestate head will get you extremely close.

Don't get an MG or an AVT....there not even close to the old VS series, and the ones before that. ADVANCED Valvestate my ass....

EDIT: I was thinking of the 8200. That's the head w/ chorus and 2x100 stereo output.

• Members

They never were too great live IMO (cept a few notable shows), but it's still amazing watching Chuck pretty much have sex with his guitar up there
:love:

:cry::cry::cry: I miss Chuck. :cry::cry::cry:

Such a true pioneer and an amazing player/writer/singer. My favorite American death metal band of all time.

• Members

Morbid Angel has the claim to best OLD school American Death Metal band.

:o

I loved Morbid Angel too. But they were sloppy compared to death and less memorable tunes overall.

I remember when Cannibal Corpse came out and eeeveryone thought they were a shit joke band. Perseverance was key with those guys!

• Members

If you want to talk about the greatest old school DM, Suffocation must be mentioned also. Paving the way for the brutal death genre, planting the seed for slam...

BTW GuidanceofSin I really don't think of Morbid Angel as a grind band.

• Members

If you want to talk about the greatest old school DM, Suffocation must be mentioned also. Paving the way for the brutal death genre, planting the seed for slam...

effigy of the forgotten almost 20 years old now and still the brutalest {censored} around

Archived