Review on my Diezel Einstein 100 watt head

RussAnderson

• Members

ok i'm no tech head or major influence to be giving equipment reviews so please bare with me here, esp my spelling and grammar lol

the Einstein arrived there over a week ago, but i have been that busy with getting my guitars sorted out i.e. replacing the active emg's for passive Suhr Doug Aldrich pup's.

anyways got the einstein out of the box and a rather attractive short head it is too in a very understated way , not like the rather overstated engl fireball with the red led glow and chrome front panel .so set her up with the engl std cab and hooked one of my esp eclipse guitars up and i was straight in the clean channel. Wow! very nice indeed , nice glass like shimmering quality going on here so much better than my previous engl head .detailed and very open, off course the suhr pickups were a breathe of fresh air and felt and sounded very natural, complete step up from emg's.

so switched up to mode 3 for the rhythm channel and this is were i started to smile like a cheshire cat , seriously thick full but smooth classic distortion .the headroom and the fatness in the midrange simply awesome, the low end nice and tight and very musical , extremely well defined with great clarity .no harshness or fizz in the high end and not a hint of muddiness, every note picked sounded out super clear nothing lost whatsoever .

the distortion wasn't as intense or aggressive as the fireball but that's not what i wanted originally , more of a classic vintage tone .sure u could do metal with the einstein but not the over the top modern brutalz, as i've said that's not were my heart is im more into the classic element of things .so still playing like some deranged kid who's still opening his presents on christmas morning lol. easily spent a few hours on ch 1 mode 3 i decided to switch into ch 2 lead .Holy Shit! there's is were it got even better ,

ch 2 mode 3 lead , i instantly looked to the floor to see if there was a clean boost pedal there i kid u not .i could have swore i was hooked up to a clean boost but without the disadvantages of one in terms of sacrificing feel and tube warmth. man this ch just was perfect for solos, really really phat and dynamic and super sensitive .again ever note i hit the clarity and detail was there in abundance, absolutely incredible just perfect for switching over from ch1 mode 3 to ch2 for that lead break .

so totally happy with the clean ,rhythm and lead modes , played the overdrive briefly and again very expressive and lively with most of what i've described above in terms of fullness and clarity .killer killer amp , i got to jam it loud with my mates and the einstein could easily hold itself in the mix unlike the fireball that needed an eq to help it hang in there .no offense to engl but my bread is now buttered on the diezel side of things and peter diezel needs to be congratulated for this magic little box.

ps sounded Great at lower levels as well , those 6550 tubes project some serious heat u could easilly fry eggs on that amp lol

Cheers Diezel

ps sorry for my spelling and grammar hope it wasn't too rough Cheers Russ

S1032752.jpg

• Members

yes very true kayman ,

i have to agree with that as ive also owned engl pro cabs in the past .my next step is a speaker or cab upgrade , im having a few issues with the build quality of this cab at present. so it looks like a full cabinet upgrade from the std range to something a bit more dynamic to pull out the einsteins true potential .

• Members

yes very true kayman ,

i have to agree with that as ive also owned engl pro cabs in the past .my next step is a speaker or cab upgrade , im having a few issues with the build quality of this cab at present. so it looks like a full cabinet upgrade from the std range to something a bit more dynamic to pull out the einsteins true potential .

Check out Orange and Matamp cabs. They should hold good value in the UK, I think.

• Members

The Einstein was FENOMENAL, I loved it. But for some reason next to the VH4, the clean channel on the VH4 was more of my liking than the Einstein, same with the Texas mode and the VH4 channel 2, I just prefered the VH4's

Now, I REALLY liked the cleans on my Einstein, and the Texas too, but 3 major factors made me sell it and keep the VH4

1) two diezels ($5,500 + in two amps) sitting in my room, with this economy, just seemed too much, plus I needed cash to buy other important and VERY needed gear (Vdrums etc)

2) two very different heads, but still both had the Diezel tone.

3) the Einstein channel 1 modes really bugged me. I had the mod to make the modes footswitchable (never got around to install it, but I had it), but there was a volume difference between the modes and that made me a bit unconfortable. I tried to get around it, but I felt it played a part too in me deciding to sell the Einstein.

I'd totally buy another one if money was a bit less tight, but I'd have to buy a few amps that interest me first, such as a Fender Vibro-King, a Mesa boogie Electra Dyne or a Lonestar. Not because these ones are better than the Eisntein, but because I've never owned them, and I already know what the Einstein's all about.

But I can say I miss it a bit.

• Members

Yes Joey,

u certainly helped me decide to switch from engl to diezel and go for the einstein, many thanks for that bro .the thing that suprised me about the einstein was the available tone , very very little tweaking and time waisting .right out of the box i liked its tone, with the engl i was forever tweaking it and missing out on valuable practice time.

as for the diezel mod im not going to bother for the reasons u have explained ,perfectly happy to lean over and flick the mod switch .i think the mod would be great for live situations when u need that mode flexibility .anyways im a picky sob about all my gear but the diezel einstein seems to be delivering .

ps even through a substandard cab the tones are great so with a good cab and speaker upgrade it can only get better Cheers !

• Members

Yes Joey,

u certainly helped me decide to switch from engl to diezel and go for the einstein, many thanks for that bro .the thing that suprised me about the einstein was the available tone , very very little tweaking and time waisting .right out of the box i liked its tone, with the engl i was forever tweaking it and missing out on valuable practice time.

as for the diezel mod im not going to bother for the reasons u have explained ,perfectly happy to lean over and flick the mod switch .i think the mod would be great for live situations when u need that mode flexibility .anyways im a picky sob about all my gear but the diezel einstein seems to be delivering .

ps even through a substandard cab the tones are great so with a good cab and speaker upgrade it can only get better Cheers !

I know the ENGL cab is starting to irck you, but I'd hardly call it a substandard cab.

• Members

particle board bro ! the rest of the cab is fine i don't even mind the v60 speakers , but engl what were u thinking using low grade particle board for a cabinet shell .

ps however i do think there pro cabinets are great ive owned 2 in the past, should have held on to them .

Cheers BradG

• Members

nice russ, good I was of help.

Like I said it's a FANTASTIC AMP and if I didn't have the VH4 I'd definitely had an Einstein! hell I'm starting to gas another one again ehehhe so I'd prob. end up with one somewhere down the line.

• Members

Nice review, Russ! I've also had my new Einstein for a couple of weeks now. I subscribe to everything you say. Maybe I can even add that the Einstein is a very versatile amp, not only because it provides killer sounds all by itself but also because it takes pedal up front very well and has an excellent F/X loop. This means that whether you are a purist (guitar > amp) or rely on pedals & multi-fx, the Einstein delivers! For that reason alone I wouldn't part with it again. By the way, I also found that boosting channel 1 mode 3 with a TS (or sth. similar) yields good results and gives a little more grit, if so desired. I'm still floored by the quality of the sounds I'm getting from this amp.

• Members

Was going to sell my Einstein 50W 1x12 combo because I was loving my Egnater Tourmaster so much, but now I'm thinking of keeping the Einstein. It does things differently from the Tourmaster and ch2 lead tones are absolutely lovely.

The thing that made me like the amp again was that I started messing with the guitar's volume and tone controls more, like I used to when I was playing single channel amps. This makes the amp's sometimes over the top gain more controllable, especially on channel two. Now I usually just leave ch1 for cleans and use ch2 for distortion, rhythm tones via turning volume knob down on the guitar.

Note that the ch1 mode switch does change the response of ch2 a bit too. Modes 2 and 3 seem more compressed than mode 1.

If Diezel ever make an Einstein mk2, they should cut down the gain on ch2 to maybe half and include the fantastic sounding reverb of the combo also on the heads.

• Members

Cheers SS,

its also nice to have two independent fx loops at the back of the einstein.not a pedal junkie but will prob add a good delay pedal along with my isp decimator and tuner .

True. And now I also understand what people mean by "excellent F/X loop", coming from the 6505.

The Einstein is highly playable. By that I mean it's the kind of amp that doesn't let you put away the guitar. I've played through some great sounding amps but some of them feel like you have to struggle against them. The Einstein has great sound AND is fun to play. That's what I love about it.

• Members

Was going to sell my Einstein 50W 1x12 combo because I was loving my Egnater Tourmaster so much, but now I'm thinking of keeping the Einstein. It does things differently from the Tourmaster and ch2 lead tones are absolutely lovely.

The thing that made me like the amp again was that I started messing with the guitar's volume and tone controls more, like I used to when I was playing single channel amps. This makes the amp's sometimes over the top gain more controllable, especially on channel two. Now I usually just leave ch1 for cleans and use ch2 for distortion, rhythm tones via turning volume knob down on the guitar.

Note that the ch1 mode switch does change the response of ch2 a bit too. Modes 2 and 3 seem more compressed than mode 1.

If Diezel ever make an Einstein mk2, they should cut down the gain on ch2 to maybe half and include the fantastic sounding reverb of the combo also on the heads.

I agree with you, OR do this:

channel 1 with two modes (clean and Texas) and channel two with 2 modes (crunch and mega, or Mega and Lead) that way it'd MUCH MUCH more versatile for the live gig.

Because channel 2 for blues crunch doens't cut it that well since it's a bit too compressed and too gainy,

man I just pissed my pants thinking about that (two channels, two modes on each channel!) :love:

Archived