End of the year, end of the decade, another one bites the dust

333maxwell

• Members

Hey gang..

Outside of occasional maintaining of my Soundclick stuff I just don't do much internet music anymore, but I did want to drop in and wish everyone a big Seasonal Greeting and of course as I have every year here for several years now, I would like to go out of this year on a musical note, and take you with me if you'll come one more time.

I hope at least someone get's a kick out of this one, it takes a few twists and turns, and of course, created from scratch for your consumption, no store bought ingredients here, all organic.. (my excuse for my questionable mixes).

Enjoy if you get the time..

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9922748

I do wish everyone and their everyone's, the best of this holiday season. I know it isn't easy out there for everyone right now, so keep your heads up and do what everyone has done before this time.. plow on~!

And I know it is not politically correct, which is partially why I really must say, and Merry Christmas~!

Peace~!

• Members

"I hope at least someone get's a kick out of this one, it takes a few twists and turns, and of course, created from scratch for your consumption, no store bought ingredients here, all organic.. (my excuse for my questionable mixes)."

What is interesting is that you would use the word "organic? Because that's the way I describe my approach to the process and always have? I say "it's about what I feel" not what I think, or what's been learned? I believe music has to come from the heart? From the soul? That's what I mean when I say it's an organic process? We have limited control over it... We are conjuring... We are vessels... We are conduits for the music? To think that you write it (sometimes) is to bestow too much importance on one's self (IMO) you open yourself to what's out there, and you hope it comes in. You participate in the process, but it doesn't necessarily come from you? It comes "with you..." This is how I experience song writing, performance, production, etc... I listened to your song. I would soften those bells in the beginning, both with volume, and a filter to cut anything above maybe 3 or 4K?

Other than that, I'm diggin your performances and production. The guitars that cut in on the BLING BLING BLING on the Christmas Christmas part? You've got to put an envelop on those and cut them back 5 or 6 db (or more...) Or just lower them on the console? Really, they're too much.

Other than that? I really liked it! Good job!!

• Members

Thanks for the thoughts Robby..

I only have the left ear, so in my mono world I didn't hear the extra volume on the guitars in that spot (someone mentioned the bells were too loud, you say the guitar is too loud in the same spot, I have something going wrong there apparently.. so I'll revisit it).. it's quite valuable to have an extra set of ears feeding back on the over all mix.. thanks~!! I'm certain I have some incorrect stereo spacings going on as well, but they are much more forgiving than blatant too loud.

--

As for organic, while I do mean in essence, I also meant in production..

With the exception of the digital piano (I don't have an analog piano of course) all the instruments are organic and played in real time.the drums are acoustic analog as well.. .. and I play these analog instruments myself (with the exception of the drums which is a real kit I manipulated in the DAW to fit the piece).

So the Bass, the guitar, the sax, the drums etc.. all organic.. off set of course by the digital piano.. *sigh*

Of course the ONLY real reason I felt compelled to mention it is because as you know, more and more, we are slipping into a synthetic world.. in fact I almost dropped digital bass on this one simply because it sonically sounds better .. I can't blame people for using fake bass.. it sounds great..

On the flip side though, I can;t quite give it the groove I can by playing the darn thing real time.

Anyway, that's mostly what I meant by organic.. older folks wont think anything of it.. younger folks will think 'why bother'...*L*

I certainly wont end up ahead~! *G*

Thanks again mate, I do appreciate that advice on the volume issue.. it will prove to be quite helpful and I will go in and correct now..

Archived