At 3:00 in the morning when you're in bed

Marshal

• Members

The marshal monster is baking word pies.

I've been working on a tune on-and-off for a couple months now. It's not a rushed thing for me. I've got too many songs with nothing worthwhile to do with them anyway. But this one is a chord pattern I fell into at a time when a friend's story struck me in a strange way. And I wasn't really sure how I felt about the whole situation. So, I had to do a little soul-searching-in-song, so to speak.

Add to that the fact that I don't often sleep clear through the night. And the fact that I wake up often and worry about things. The mind can create strange images while in that semi-dream state. So, for personal therapy, I'll often lie there and switch my mind into thinking about a song idea, instead of pondering the unsolvable issues of life.

So, that's what I've been doing on this tune for the last month. I'll wake up and concentrate on a section of the tune at a time, without any direction on how the whole thing will fit together. Just trying to come up with juicy story tid-bits that fit the musical pattern and flesh out an emotion. I'll play over in my mind what I've gotten so far, then try to add a line or two that completes an idea. (or come up with a new start when one section is done). When i conjure up something that I think works, I've gotten good at burning the line in my memory with key words that make it function. That way I can most often remember it the next day. A couple times I'll get up and go to the computer and type in a line or two, if I'm concerned about losing it (or just plain can't get back to sleep).

I guess tonight was one of those nights. And it was important lyrically speaking, because I pieced together the final missing puzzle pieces that make it fit together. In the aura of the half-dream-state, it seems to hang together well. (Though I'll wait for rational consciousness and the full light of day to pass personal judgement on that).

Obviously, I don't have a recording of it yet. I could post the lyrics. But i think I'll wait till daylight to do that. (One last look). Though, i know nothing need be considered permanent, yet.

I should be able to make a quickie recording probably tomorrow too. It's important to get the musical feel. That's really where the song started.

Nightie night.

• Members

OK. I looked at it in the light of day, and , . . . , it is schmatlzy. But musically it flows nicely in a "pretty" and "mellow-dramatic" way. So I'll hone it a little. It won't probably get much live air play.

I realized my voice is more wreaked than I thought from Holiday cheer, so, it might take a couple days to get the voice warmed up enough to hit the notes cleanly and record anything. Musically the chords are sweet; especially the closing chord. I think that's the real reason I worked on the thing. I just want to play that chord at the end.

Anyway, here are the lyrics as they stand:

Sunshine and Rain

Michael

• Members

Thanks, Robby. Wise woman she was.

It's the double negative in the "green grass" line that isn't flowing for me. ("not close by"). But I'm trying to rhyme with "inside." I originally thought of "on the far side" but, "far side" and "inside" don't work well; too close. So, I'll probably churn that line some.

I had it as "The pasture looks greener when," but that seemed even more round-about. But it still is kind of stilted, as is. And this is the build to the e x c i t i n g conclusion, so the words can't be tripping over each other.

• Members

Well, well...........

These lyrics really take a couple of slow readings to sink in. You have managed to encapsulate a world of universally experienced emotion in two simple verses.......followed, quite aptly, by a lesson in how to get a grip on it.

A 'realtionship going bad' song and a 'lesson in life' song all wrapped in one neat and concise package.

Not bad.;)

I shall refrain from structural critique until I have the pleasure of listening to your wreaked voice.

I'll often lie there and switch my mind into thinking about a song idea, instead of pondering the unsolvable issues of life.

I generally manage to do both at the same time.:cool:

• Members

OK. I put a version up on my Soundclick. It's real rough. There's a part of the rhythm in verse that isn't worked out yet. And it probably won't ever get worked out. I'm really not happy with the feeling of this song at all. I only put it up, because I've talked about the tune here. But I seriously doubt this will ever go any further.

I'll take it down in a day or two. But you can get a sonic print of where I was trying to go with this one.

• Members

I think you should stick it out with this song.

This rough version still had the seed of something very special. I heard a slightly larger production.....one where you brought in a bit more of a dynamic arrangement. I love it, btw, when you take your voice up higher. You do that very effectively with your Christmas song.

I don't know what your setup is but I'm hearing some other instruments in there to compliment your voice and bring in more emotion and interest.

Also.....I heard a potential bookend lyric. If you were to change the first lyric to 'searching' instead of 'surfing'....that would also prevent you from 'time stamping' the song with that whole 'surfing' thing.

• Members

Well, I've certainly thought about the "bookend" thing. That's the way it started out. But I was trying to lighten it up and "surprise" the listener a little. But the whole things is so slow and melodramatic that it's not doing anything for me when I hear it. Sure it could use other instrumentation. But my songs are meant to work as a solo performer, first. Sure, in recording, you can flesh things out and bring in other elements. But I get out and perform songs live. And this one seems too lethargic to make that happen.

On the high voice front, (thanks). I hadn't performed Silent Night much before sitting down with my engineer to record it. It's not an all-year-round tune. So, I was really working to make that high stuff work. And I think it came out nice enough for the recording; sort of angelic.Then, when I got home afterwards and noodled around with the song, I realized when i perform the song (couple times a year) I normally have a different melody line for that part that isn't so high. Made me chuckle. The video that is linked at the bottom on the Reverbnation site has me singing the normal melody line for the "Silent Night" portion. Truth is, they work together nicely as harmony parts. Though I don't think I'll be adding that before this Christmas.

• Members

But I get out and perform songs live. And this one seems too lethargic to make that happen.

I hold my line........the tune has something.

Play around with it and find a way to give it some energy. Not sure what......mess with it. Let it sit a while and then play it differently. Something.

I have a hard time letting them go myself.

Archived